By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the switch outsell the ps4?

When will the switch outsell the ps4?

Second half of 2022 33 11.54%

First half of 2023 24 8.39%

Second half of 2023 35 12.24%

First half of 2024 15 5.24%

Second half of 2024 16 5.59%

First half of 2025 7 2.45%

Second half of 2025 5 1.75%

Later than above 2 0.70%

Never 149 52.10%

Total:286

Answering to: The Liquid Laser

Sorry my friend, but I would like to explain why I do not agree with this argument. First of all, most people who buy in this industry do not buy from a specific market like, let's say, buy from the handheld or home console market; they can buy from both markets if they want, and they do. The only place where this could be a valid argument is in Japan where most people seem to favor handheld consoles, but everywhere else, the Switch is selling well because it is an attractive product.

Just to put an example, this argument is like saying that PS2 has advantage because it had ability to play DVD movies. By that logic I could say that it had more scope in the market because of that. As you can see this argument does not make sense. PS2 sold well because it was an excellent product not because of its ability to act like a DVD. The same can be said for Switch, not because people from different markets buy it. This is just my opinion in a respectful way. 

Around the Network
Jessie123 said:

Answering to: The Liquid Laser

Sorry my friend, but I would like to explain why I do not agree with this argument. First of all, most people who buy in this industry do not buy from a specific market like, let's say, buy from the handheld or home console market; they can buy from both markets if they want, and they do. The only place where this could be a valid argument is in Japan where most people seem to favor handheld consoles, but everywhere else, the Switch is selling well because it is an attractive product.

Just to put an example, this argument is like saying that PS2 has advantage because it had ability to play DVD movies. By that logic I could say that it had more scope in the market because of that. As you can see this argument does not make sense. PS2 sold well because it was an excellent product not because of its ability to act like a DVD. The same can be said for Switch, not because people from different markets buy it. This is just my opinion in a respectful way. 

Yes, people can buy from both markets, both handheld and home consoles.  That is what shows they are in different markets.  A person who just bought a burger at McDonald's is just as likely to buy shoes before the meal as after.  Burgers and shoes are in different markets.  A person who just bought a burger at McDonald's is far less likely to then go buy a burger at Burger King, because they are in the same market.  They compete.  By the same token, a person who has just bought a PS4 is just as likely to buy a 3DS as they were before they owned a PS4.  They don't compete, because they aren't in the same market.  A person who just bought a PS4 is unlikely to buy an XB1, because they are in the same market.

Switch appeals to people in both markets.  It appeals to people who are looking for a handheld system or a home system.  The Switch is marketing itself to a larger pool of people than either the 3DS or PS4, because it can be used as either a home system or a handheld system.  A person who wants only a handheld system, or only a home system, might want to buy a Switch.  A person who only wants a handheld system will never buy a PS4.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Rafie said:
Well of course this was going to be ugly from the start with this thread. You'll have PlayStation fans defending PS4 til the wheels fall off regardless of trends. On the other hand you'll have Nintendo fans swearing up and down how the Switch is already this and that.

Admittedly the Switch is an anomaly. We really don't know why it's selling on crazy levels like it is. Sure the IPs and portability are the main contributing factors, but I'm still baffled myself as to why it's achieved/achieving the level of sales it has compared to it's predecessor.

PS4 has been the top console all gen long. It may be on a decline due to the new console approaching, but it's sales won't just drop off a cliff. Sony tends to support their main home consoles for a very long time. Still I wouldn't be surprised if LTD sales are close. I still have PS4 with the most overall. Switch and surprise a lot of people though. I thought that the folks that doubted Switch would see how successful it is and stop underestimating it.

Switch is selling so well, because it can reach both handheld and home console users.  That gives it a lot more potential customers than any other previous system.

Say we go back to 2013 for a sec.  3DS and Vita are only allowed to reach the handheld market.  They both fish from one pond, so to speak, the handheld pond.  Then PS4, XB1 and Wii U all fish in a different pond.  That's how they compete.  3DS is better at fishing than Vita is.  PS4 is better at fishing than XB1 or Wii U.  Then Switch comes along and decides to fish from both ponds.  Can you see how that is an advantage?  All of the other systems were limiting themselves to one pond, while Switch gets to fish in 2 ponds.  It's not going to catch all of the fish, but it gets a lot more opportunities this way.

I like your analogy. Simple and elementary, yet super effective.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Shaunodon said:
If Gamefreak finish this gen without a Pokemon game passing 30m, it's a big fail. They need to step their game up.

Agreed. People keep patting GF on the back for overcoming criticism but its silly imo. The Switich is proving to give huge software boosts to all IPs and almost every IP is seeing a new sales record on Switch. Pokemon will be one of the few that won't, and don't use the bar is too high excuse because that clearly isn't holding back Mario Kart. 

Its also really weird that during the Gamecube/GBA days that Pokemon was unquestionably the most dominant Nintendo franchise. With the Wii/DS and 3DS/Wii U it fell behind Mario, and with the Switch its falling behind even the likes of Smash and Animal Crossing.

For years people hyped up the first console Pokemon game, and I feel it really isn't meeting that hype gameplay wise or reception wise.

Nu-13 said:
Amnesia said:

Could you just remind me what are gen 8-9 and 10 for you guys ?

8th gen: 3ds, vita, wii u, ps4, x1

9th gen: switch

10th gen: ps5, xsx, switch 2

LOL good one!

OT: The PS4 will continue selling so not so sure if it will be able to outsell it unless Nintendo keeps it around for longer than usual 7+ years but who knows it really is exceeding every bodies expectations.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
src said:

> makes up something

> projects it

> gets met with denial

> concludes he must be right

10/10 logic /s

Look, if you don't make a fuss about this, you'll get to keep your current account. That's less of a hassle for everyone, so we all win.

I'll keep my account regardless of whatever you want to do.

Your logic is already embarrassing as it is.

TruckOSaurus said:
RolStoppable said:

Look, if you don't make a fuss about this, you'll get to keep your current account. That's less of a hassle for everyone, so we all win.

I wouldn't be against him having to make a new account. He could name it CliffCumming, I would welcome it with open arms.

That's not even me but this has been hilarious to see how easy it is to confuse some of you.

src said:
RolStoppable said:

TruckOSaurus said:

I wouldn't be against him having to make a new account. He could name it CliffCumming, I would welcome it with open arms.

That's not even me but this has been hilarious to see how easy it is to confuse some of you.

your forumfingerprints matches 99% with him, the one 1% being the denial.

Even if you aint him, you are so much alike it isn't a good thing tbh

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
src said:

your forumfingerprints matches 99% with him, the one 1% being the denial.

Even if you aint him, you are so much alike it isn't a good thing tbh

LMAO what fingerprints. PM me if its private.

There are many people in this world that are alike from arbitrarily small metrics. This logic is astoundingly bad.

Pokemon has gone from Nintendo's biggest seller to being demoted by 3D Mario (lol shit game), MK (obvs), LoZ, Animal Crossing and Smash.

Nintendo is achieving feats Sony/MS couldn't possibly imagine.

The sooner everyone wakes up and realises 'content is king', the sooner they can overcome the fact their console of choice is **** and they can get behind Nintendo.

❌ BANNED (10 Days): Trolling (continued needless MS/Sony bashing)

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 07 September 2020

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Switch is obviously going to have a much higher top year this year than PS4 ever had, and it is already ahead of PS4 in sales at this point in its lifetime. And next year it will only extend the lead. It's looking very good for Switch, but it still feels like perhaps by year 6 Switch sales will be trending below PS4 in annual sales and since PS4 will likely sell much better than Switch in retirement I think the Switch won't end up catching PS4, even though right now it sorta seems like there is no way it won't beat PS4. Both systems are having a great year this year, considering where PS4 is in its life cycle, so I'd up both my predictions of lifetime sales. Previously I thought PS4 might end up at 125mil, now I think it'll do 130mil. And I thought Switch might end up around 115mil, now I think 125mil is looking good.