By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 1st party Xbox games will be cross-gen for "next year, two years"

Radek said:
goopy20 said:

We've already went over this a million times. But okay, the problem with options and trying to have a game run on as many platforms as possible, is that developers won't be able to push the higher specs of the Series X. If you say a GTX1060 will be good enough to play AAA 9th gen games, then imo this is gonna be one boring ass next gen and there would hardly be any need to upgrade from the X1X or ps4 pro. I don't want to play to same games in 1080p/30fps on X1X and just have a 4k/60fps version on next gen. What I want and expect from these next gen consoles are experiences that aren't possible on current gen and mid-range pc's. 

Now with Sony, I know they will deliver as they'll probably launch with ps5 exclusives like Spiderman 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 etc. that will be designed from the ground up to fully take advantage of things like the more powerful CPU, SSD, Ray tracing and whatnot. With MS's exclusives we just don't know at this point but it sounds like their goal isn't to push the Series X's capabilities, but instead prefer to reach as many players as possible on a whole slew of devices. 

Tbh if X version would be 1080p then Series X version would be 4K 30 FPS not 60. It won't be 8 times more powerful than 6 tflops X is lol

Ok, 4k 30fps then. My point is that that will suck as we will basically be playing the same games we're playing now in 4k. Native 4k is nice on pc but it isn't that big a deal on consoles when you're sitting 15ft away from the screen. 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
Radek said:

Tbh if X version would be 1080p then Series X version would be 4K 30 FPS not 60. It won't be 8 times more powerful than 6 tflops X is lol

Ok, 4k 30fps then. My point is that that will suck as we will basically be playing the same games we're playing now in 4k. Native 4k is nice on pc but it isn't that big a deal on consoles when you're sitting 15ft away from the screen. 

If you're talking about graphics, they will look a little better while also being in 4k.

Conina said:
eva01beserk said:

I chose 10 because thats what sonys attach ratio is for the ps4. Is MS much lower? 

It does not matter. Its more of an individual analisis, wich I canot do. if the the average player plays 10 games is better than if it plays 20 for the same price. now if the average player buys 10 games like in sonys case, then gamepass would be a massive loss. For MS unless the average gamer buys 2 or less games a year(or $120 worth of), gamepass is a loss.

if you know the attach rate for xbox please share.

Let's stay at the PS4. The attachment rate of 10 games doesn't mean that they have sold 10 PS4 games on average per year to PS4 owners but in the total console cycle (so far over 6 years).

Sony announced that (according to SIE research) they sold 1150 million PS4 games (retail + physical) from November 15, 2013 to Dezember 31, 2019 and 106 million PS4 consoles: https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2020/200107.html

It is a time frame of 6.1 years, so 1150m games / 104m consoles / 6.1 years = 1.78 games per year and PS4 console. Of course the hardware base of 104m wasn't there from the beginning but has constantly grown from zero since November 15, 2013. With a linear growth in hardware base you can double that number, so PS4 owners bought annually 3.56 games on average, not 10 games.

Let's check that number out:

Sony also announced that they sold 274m PS4 games (retail + physical) during 2019: https://www.polygon.com/ps4/2020/1/31/21116942/ps4-sales-games-software-titles-all-time-million-billion-sony-playstation

The PS4 hardware base has grown from 92m to 106m in the same period, so let's take the average of 99 million PS4 consoles for 2019.

274m games / 99m consoles = 2.77 games in 2019 on average, and that includes digital games. It is normal that the 2019 number (2.77) is lower than the average of the total console cycle (3.56) since more and more casual gamers get a console after hardware price drops... and they don't buy as many games as the early adopters.

You can see that in this chart, I used the yearly VGC estimates for that: http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2020/Global/

The early adopters bought 2.18 retail games (on average) in the launch window of the PS4 and 6.09 retail games in the first full year.

That number has been constantly falling down to 1.90 retail games in 2018 per PS4 owner and probably a bit more in 2019.

From the 2.77 PS4 games in 2019, probably ~1.77 games wre retail and 1 game was digital.

Of course the hard fanbase of a console buys a lot more than 3 games each year (which pushes the rest of the PS4 users even below the average). So the majority of PS4 users won't spend more than $100 - $150 for games anyways.

Well that puts the nail in the coffin for this debate. Props for the calculations that was good to know myself :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

goopy20 said:
Radek said:

This is the second time you keep going on while also ignoring my direct replies to you. If you can’t make a comeback to me then you shouldn’t be here saying the same thing to other people who didn’t out-debate you yet. 

Saying the games will have zero improvements in graphics, textures, lighting, draw distance, enemy AI, etc....and only seem to think resolution and FPS are affected. We have to see direct video comparisons to be sure, but YOU seem very sure of yourself that the differences will be so minimal between hardware gaps of 7 years that the series X will look like a poor upgrade. Reported for trolling. 

Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that a team of 300 plus employees in the span of 5 years, for their biggest flagship exclusive, can optimize the series x version more then mere resolution and FPS? Because let me tell you it’s gonna look worse for you once we see actual video evidence. 

edit: stop assuming HZD2 and Spider-Man 2 will be launch titles unless you have proof. All you have is the FONT style for the PS5 logo. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 09 February 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Radek said:
sales2099 said:

This is the second time you keep going on while also ignoring my direct replies to you. If you can’t make a comeback to me then you shouldn’t be here saying the same thing to other people who didn’t out-debate you yet. 

Saying the games will have zero improvements in graphics, textures, lighting, draw distance, enemy AI, etc....and only seem to think resolution and FPS are affected. We have to see direct video comparisons to be sure, but YOU seem very sure of yourself that the differences will be so minimal between hardware gaps of 7 years that the series X will look like a poor upgrade. Reported for trolling. 

Are you seriously expecting enemy AI difference in cross generation game?

I am hopeful yes. Halo 4 was a gorgeous game running on 2005 hardware. It is well known within the Halo community that the AI suffered due to the graphics overall taking up much of the systems processing. Sorry but I’m not versed in the tech lingo but that’s the jist. 

Forza dev Turn 10 didn’t announce their next game officially but have talked about their ray tracing tech for next gen lighting. Xbox One can’t do ray tracing. Stands to reason Forza 8 will have Series X perks XB1 can’t have. 

Just a couple examples but I am hopeful that given how important Halo Infinite is to MS, being a 5 year game and a launch title, I feel that their team is big enough to at least somewhat optimize the game beyond mere resolution and FPS. To say they are gonna slap on a nice resolution and FPS and call it a day is grossly pessimistic and imo is “concern trolling”. At least I named a couple examples to back up my claim (no offence to you). 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 09 February 2020

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Radek said:

Are you seriously expecting enemy AI difference in cross generation game?

I am hopeful yes. Halo 4 was a gorgeous game running on 2005 hardware. It is well known within the Halo community that the AI suffered due to the graphics overall taking up much of the systems processing. Sorry but I’m not versed in the tech lingo but that’s the jist. 

Forza dev Turn 10 didn’t announce their next game officially but have talked about their ray tracing tech for next gen lighting. Xbox One can’t do ray tracing. Stands to reason Forza 8 will have Series X perks XB1 can’t have. 

Just a couple examples but I am hopeful that given how important Halo Infinite is to MS, being a 5 year game and a launch title, I feel that their team is big enough to at least somewhat optimize the game beyond mere resolution and FPS. To say they are gonna slap on a nice resolution and FPS and call it a day is grossly pessimistic and imo is “concern trolling”. At least I named a couple examples to back up my claim (no offence to you). 

Devs will always push graphics over AI. That's why there isn't much difference in current vs old AI in games.

goopy20 said:

Now with Sony, I know they will deliver as they'll probably launch with ps5 exclusives like Spiderman 2, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 etc. that will be designed from the ground up to fully take advantage of things like the more powerful CPU, SSD, Ray tracing and whatnot.

You know?

So which PS5 launch titles will be designed from the ground up to fully take advantage of things like the more powerful CPU, SSD, Ray tracing and whatnot?

Which 2021 PS5 titles will be designed from the ground up to fully take advantage of things like the more powerful CPU, SSD, Ray tracing and whatnot?

When will Spiderman 2 be released? When will Horizon Zero Dawn 2 be released? Which other PS5 system sellers will launch in its first year and second year?

Sorry, but so far you know nothing, John Snow.

Why don't we wait for the first PS5 footage and the first game previews?

Nu-13 said:
sales2099 said:

Devs will always push graphics over AI. That's why there isn't much difference in current vs old AI in games.

That’s right. Just saying that AI took a noticeable back seat in Halo 4 to make the most of the graphics. Which is why Xbox One may have that problem but Series X will have more wiggle room. But that’s just one example/theory. Just like with my Turn 10 example there’s a high chance the game will be more then a fresh coat of resolution and FPS paint. 

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that a team of 300 plus employees in the span of 5 years, for their biggest flagship exclusive, can optimize the series x version more then mere resolution and FPS? Because let me tell you it’s gonna look worse for you once we see actual video evidence. 

edit: stop assuming HZD2 and Spider-Man 2 will be launch titles unless you have proof. All you have is the FONT style for the PS5 logo. 

He claims to be optimistic but somehow is always taking the worst angle possible when it comes to Xbox next gen. He knows cross gen games can have enhancements, I’ve given him evidence from this gen with games such as Battlefiekd and Shadow of Mordor which had next gen only features and elements. Even Microsoft had Horizon 2, which was a completely different game on 360, and Flight Simulator, with word already circulating that all the features likely won’t make it into the Xbone version. He ignores all of it. Don’t expect a real reply.

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Look, you should consider what you want from these next gen consoles. Because on one hand you think it's a great idea that MS releases their exclusives on as many platforms as possible and give people choice. Yet, on the other hand you seem to get upset if Halo is not taking full advantage of the Series X capabilities and it won't have things like better ai. Which has officially been confirmed by 343 who are building the game for X1 as the base platform and literally said it would just run a bit better on Series X. It's completely different from Horizon 2, where they had 2 different developers making the X1 and 360 versions running on different engines.

I don't know which games Sony will launch with, but what I do know is that they want to get people to transition to the ps5 asap. Meaning, they won't build their flagship exclusives with main stream gaming pc's and ps4 in mind, just so they can reach more players.  

Last edited by goopy20 - on 10 February 2020