By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts December 2019 Discussion Thread

p0isonparadise said:
After a disastrous launch Xbox One has sold quite well in America, all things considered. Odds of the XSX outselling the PS5 in the USA are high.

I dunno, it seems a bit early to call that, especially with XSX already repeating Xbone's critical mistake of having no exclusives.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

I dunno, it seems a bit early to call that, especially with XSX already repeating Xbone's critical mistake of having no exclusives.

Definitely too early. Let's let these things even release before proclaiming victories (though I think EU and Japan are very likely to sway Sony again). NA, on the other hand, is a constant swinging pendulum and trying to call it now is pointless.

Yeah NA is definitely the most exciting region in that respect. And yeah, at this stage there's just so much we don't know, what they'll cost, what games they will have, etc.

curl-6 said:
p0isonparadise said:
After a disastrous launch Xbox One has sold quite well in America, all things considered. Odds of the XSX outselling the PS5 in the USA are high.

I didn't call anything. As of right now, I think odds are in favor of XSX. This could change if Microsoft goes mental and prices XSX at $600 while the PS5 is in the $400-$500 range. 

You put too much stock in Xbox's lack of exclusives. Xbox (and PS) live off of AAA third-party support so as long as they get those games they'll be fine. Especially if Microsoft positions XSX as the console of choice when it comes to those types games (GamePass will help).

Last edited by p0isonparadise - on 19 January 2020

p0isonparadise said:
curl-6 said:

I didn't call anything. As of right now, I think odds are in favor of XSX. This could change if Microsoft goes mental and prices XSX at $600 while the PS5 is in the $400-$500 range. 

You put too much stock in Xbox's lack of exclusives. Xbox (and PS) live off of AAA third-party support so as long as they get those games they'll be fine. Especially if Microsoft positions XSX as the console of choice when it comes to those types games (GamePass will help).

You made a prediction, which is fine, it's just that we don't even know how much XSX or PS5 will cost or how their libraries will shape up so at this point I'd say projecting an XSX win in America is premature in my humble opinion.

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete article and analysis here:

Xbox One vs Xbox 360 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Xbox One Vs. Xbox 360 USA:

Gap change in latest month: 1,687,768 – X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,772,779 – X360

Total Lead: 5,519,137 – X360

Xbox One Total Sales: 27,486,776

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 33,005,913

Yeah, that's the end of this race haha. Effectively anyway, from here on out 360 zooms off to the horizon while Xbone peters out. It was fun while it lasted. Despite finishing third globally (albeit just) the 360 was an absolute monster in the US.

trunkswd said:

PS4 vs Wii in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

PlayStation 4 Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 146,579 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,827,682 – PS4

Total Lead: 8,573,829 – Wii

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 32,080,344

Wii Total Sales: 40,654,173

This one is truly fascinating one to watch; I suspect it will be close in the end, but Wii might just keep its lead.

Around the Network

hey, i think that wii/ps4 chart has a mistake. im guessing it isnt meant to say worldwide sales in the second graph, bc ps4 is a bit more than 32 mil atm?

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

This one is truly fascinating one to watch; I suspect it will be close in the end, but Wii might just keep its lead.

Since the gap peaked at 11m, the PS4 has only managed to catch up by 2.5m units over the course of two years. The most recent month is only 150k units in favor of the PS4 despite the Wii already being succeeded by the Wii U at this point. The LTD gap is 8.5m and the PS4 has sold 4m during the last twelve months. Even if the Wii didn't add anything anymore and the PS4 remained stable at 4m for the next two years, the Wii would still be ahead.

But the Wii finished at 41.7m and the PS4 will continue to decline in 2020 and then decline even faster in 2021 and onwards. ~2.5m in 2020 and ~1.5m the rest of the way; if you want to be optimistic about the PS4, you can make that 5m in total, putting it at 37.0m lifetime. The Wii already has this one in the bag.

I generally am optimistic in regards to the PS4, mostly cos it has performed better than I expected back in the 7th gen. (Mostly cos I expected Xbox to be more competitive and not shoot themselves in the foot quite so badly this gen)

Still, can't say I'd be unhappy with a Wii victory here haha, it is my second favourite console of all time.

trunkswd said:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 546,657 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,433,850 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,578,450 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 17,330,261

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 15,751,811

Onwards and upwards; goes to show just how flawed the argument was 3DS + Wii U represented the total audience for Nintendo hardware/software and therefore Switch's maximum sales potential.

trunkswd said:

PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – December 2019

PS4 Vs. X360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 1,660,806 – X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,908,064 – X360

Total Lead: 925,569 – X360

X360 Total Sales: 33,005,913

PS4 Total Sales: 32,080,344

Well, looks like even the mighty PS4 isn't going to be able to beat 360's US sales. In light of their recent struggles, it's easy to forget how insanely powerful Xbox's brand power was there not so long ago.

curl-6 said:

Onwards and upwards; goes to show just how flawed the argument was 3DS + Wii U represented the total audience for Nintendo hardware/software and therefore Switch's maximum sales potential.

Yep, having Nintendo's software split between two seperate ecosystems increases the likelihood that people would find each individual system unappealing. Just because someone didnt have a 3DS or Wii U doesnt mean that person wouldnt want a system that combines their software support.

It's not just 3DS+Wii U owners but also Vita owners who have migrated to Switch with it being a high end portable with a ton of indies, smaller Japanese games and various western ports.

Also Switch has been able to regain some of the Wii crowd with its motion controls, couch multiplayer and fitness/rhythm/party games like Just Dance, Super Mario Party & Ring Fit & Fitness Boxing all having success.

Brain Training recently released and I expect to see more of the DS era games like Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy & Style Savvy in the next year or two.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Yep, having Nintendo's software split between two seperate ecosystems increases the likelihood that people would find each individual system unappealing. Just because someone didnt have a 3DS or Wii U doesnt mean that person wouldnt want a system that combines their software support.

It's not just 3DS+Wii U owners but also Vita owners who have migrated to Switch with it being a high end portable with a ton of indies, smaller Japanese games and various western ports.

Also Switch has been able to regain some of the Wii crowd with its motion controls, couch multiplayer and fitness/rhythm/party games like Just Dance, Super Mario Party & Ring Fit & Fitness Boxing all having success.

Brain Training recently released and I expect to see more of the DS era games like Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy & Style Savvy in the next year or two.

Yeah it will always a very silly argument, but I remember seeing it over and over in the first year or two of the Switch, "oh it's selling well now, but it won't reach 100 million because Wii U + 3DS shows there's only about 88 million people out there interested in Nintendo."

Thankfully we seem to have reached a point now where the downplaying has largely died off compared to 2017-2018. It's not gone completely, but its far less prolific now that the Switch's success is essentially undeniable.