Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; Week 31; Adjustments, Breakdowns, and Estimations

(Sees discussions about Switch sales in Europe + Famitsu threads)

Hmmm.... this gives me an idea...

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Around the Network

(Edits first three posts.)

...Yep, I think this is gonna work! >:)

PAOerfulone said:
(Edits first three posts.)

...Yep, I think this is gonna work! >:)

I love what you did there, great work!

Aaaaaaand DONE!

Phew, that took longer than I thought it would. But I think the end result was worth it.

I came up with this idea a few days ago after skimming through the Famitsu threads (thanks Rol), and reading the thread about the Switch's potential in Europe. I thought, "hmmmm, we know how the systems are doing overall, but what about all the pieces that make up the puzzle?"

So, after looking through the past data from the "Hardware-by-Date" section and A LOT of math, I finally put together my latest addition to the thread:

REGIONAL BREAKDOWNS!!!

Now, in addition to the worldwide numbers, we can now see how all three systems are performing in all 3 major regions: The United States, Europe, and Japan, as well as the numbers made up from other regions (Rest of the World).

This way, we get a better understanding of the bigger picture and see just where the spikes or drops in sales week over week are taking place, as well as year over year.
For example: with the PlayStation 4, we can see that it's currently up YoY in the United States and Europe, the system's two strongest regions. However, it is down YoY in Japan and the Rest of the World, and the deficit between these two regions is greater than the lead in the U.S. and Europe, which is why the PS4 is slighty down overall worldwide.

Another thing I feel this addition highlights is just how much the other regions throughout the rest of the world make up sales in comparison to the three major regions. Like how the combined sales of the smaller regions account for a considerable percentage of PS4 sales; Or how sales in the small regions are actually not too far behind sales in Japan for the Switch; Or how the holiday season can effect sales from these regions compared to the main three.

(We also, get to see just how truly pathetic the situation for Microsoft is in Japan... Seriously, why do they even bother?)

So, moving forward, in addition to updating the thread with the new worldwide numbers that come in like I have been doing, I will also be adding the new numbers for each region individually as well.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 14 July 2020

It's really a great thing you did there. I just hope you don't get overwhelmed when sales adjustments come in as you'll have much more data points to adapt now.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
It's really a great thing you did there. I just hope you don't get overwhelmed when sales adjustments come in as you'll have much more data points to adapt now.

That was definitely a concern I thought about. Though, if I just pace myself and set aside the workload for various intervals, I'll be fine. 

Your concern is very much appreciated as well! :)

That really is quite the workload you're taking on, but I appreciate it. This is some good shit.

What stands out most to me is that outside of the US, the Switch's largest YoY gain has actually been the RoW market. I've noticed in the weekly global breakdowns that in Oceania (only a small piece, but still) Switch has been trending well ahead of PS4, when I always thought it had a small presence here, compared to PS dominance. PS4 Pro has been supply constrained, but at least some models of PS4 have been regularly in stock. Even with TLoUII release I think the Switch still barely held a lead, and outside that it's been basically doubling it each week.

You can also see Animal Crossing had a much more concentrated effect during release to the US and Japan sales. In fact, outside of those AC weeks, Japan has been rather up-and-down for Switch, a lot due to supply constraints. Europe and RoW however have just been steadily gaining each week.

Crazy to see that Switch in US has already matched the numbers it had last year, just before it hit holiday season. By the time it hits holidays this year, it may only be ~1mil behind last year's total for that region. Insane.

Anyway, good job with this. I've already been keeping an eye, but I'll keep an even closer one now going forward.

Wow, that extra data is fantastic. Love what's you've done.
Hope it's not too much extra work because this thread is great!

Looks awesome! Thank you for the hard work!!!!!!

1doesnotsimply

Just added the numbers for Week 28 for all tables and here's the breakdown compared to last week:

PS4:
Up in the United States and Europe.
Down in Japan and the Rest of the World.
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Down in Japan (HA!)
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions and overall.