By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I think that’s the takeaway here. The show didn’t meet many expectations but judged solely on its own merits it was a solid hour.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
Barozi said:
1st party or not, there was clearly a gap between launch window games and 2021 games.

Aside from Halo Infinite, most of the interesting stuff won't be released this year anyway. No Forza, no Fable, no Hellblade, no Avowed, no State of Decay 3.
MS is trying to survive the year with Halo, third party exclusives on Game Pass and Xbox One compatible games/ports. 2021 should be far better though.

Honestly, if that stuff had any chance for 2021 they would've shown 2021 on the trailers. The fact they couldn't get gameplay for any of those big titles says it all. Don't get your hopes up.

eh but why would you show gameplay if you haven't even shown a teaser or cinematic trailer. There are almost 1 1/2 years until Holidays 2021. So if your game is on a 3-year cycle, you're only half-way done. Probably wouldn't show my game at that point either.

But do you really think there won't be a Forza game in 2021? That would be three years in a row!
FH4 was announced on short notice and I don't doubt that either Forza 8 (aka Motorsport...) or FH5 will come out in 2021.

Avowed... probably not. Fable... there's a chance. SoD3.... no idea. Everwild... likely. Hellblade 2.....likely.

Plus something that hasn't even been shown yet. 1st party or 2nd party. (spin-off, anniversary remake, small title like Grounded etc.)

Last edited by Barozi - on 23 July 2020

Yeah, I really didn't like the influx of moneyhats either. Especially when none of them were particularly noteworthy, outside The Medium (which I previously believed to be exclusive).

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Wasn't the segment of Crossfire, Stalker, etc. being the XGP thing?

No, those were all timed 3rd party moneyhats. That's why it said console debut exclusive on them, that means that they are timed console exclusives, they will go to PS5 and/or Switch eventually. 

Xbox Global Publishing is 2nd party, they publish lifelong exclusives, games like ReCore, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ryse, and Crackdown 3. Unless I'm mistaken there was only one Xbox Global Publishing game on the show today, that super artistic looking adventure game from the UK studio, that was played right after the Obsidian games. 

Hmm, okay. But to be honest with all MS studio acquisitions I expect them to decrease XGP output.

Barozi said:
Shaunodon said:

Honestly, if that stuff had any chance for 2021 they would've shown 2021 on the trailers. The fact they couldn't get gameplay for any of those big titles says it all. Don't get your hopes up.

eh but why would you show gameplay if you haven't even shown a teaser or cinematic trailer.

Do you really think there won't be a Forza game in 2021? That would be three years in a row!
FH4 was announced on short notice and I don't doubt that either Forza 8 (aka Motorsport...) or FH5 will come out in 2021.

Avowed... probably not. Fable... there's a chance. SoD3.... no idea. Everwild... likely. Hellblade 2.....likely.

Plus something that hasn't even been shown yet. 1st party or 2nd party. (spin-off, anniversary remake, small title like Grounded etc.)

New Motorsport as I mentioned in my detailed opinion of the show - I would be really surprised if it comes in 2021. So, probably cross gen FH5 next year, before the FH6 being an ambitious Series X title in 2023.

Barozi said:
Shaunodon said:

eh but why would you show gameplay if you haven't even shown a teaser or cinematic trailer.

Do you really think there won't be a Forza game in 2021? That would be three years in a row!

Forza Horizon 5 would've been a perfect showcase title. Unless they're holding that back for the next event, I can't see that being ready soon.

I could've believed Forza 8 would be ready by year one after how long it's been, but the fact they showed a teaser without even putting 2021 at the end has me thinking otherwise. Why wouldn't they at least want people expecting that?

At best, they may be hoping for 2021, but not confident they can actually make it and don't want to make an empty promise.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I definitely think we'll get some games in 2021. Everwild is 2021 most likely. Either Avowed or Fable will be their big Q4 2021 AAA, probably Avowed since Obsidian has had a large team working on it for 2 and a half years already according to leakers (4 years by Holiday 2021), it was in development before MS even acquired Obsidian. We might not get Forza Motorsport reboot in 2021, but if we don't we're definitely getting Forza Horizon 5 in 2021, no way they go 3 years in a row with no new Forza games, a series that was yearly at one point.

I definitely think State of Decay 3 and Fable are 2022 games.

Grounded is launching in 2021 for sure. Also, there probably will be ports of Flight Sim and Gears Tactics also in 2021, so definitely there will be a lot of games to play in 2021. It's just that there probably won't be any major hits. Still, I guess that MS will have at least one big game for late 2021 but most likely it is not the one announced at this show. Everwild in 2021 seems unlikely as it doesn't target Xbox One anymore which automatically moves it to 2022 if Matt Booty and Phil Spencer were not lying about Xbox One support. As for Forza, I don't see anything bad actually if it turns out that FM 8 launches in 2022 and FH5 in 2023. If it will result in both Forza games making a huge step over their predecessors, I'm all for it.

Shaunodon said:
Yeah, I really didn't like the influx of moneyhats either. Especially when none of them were particularly noteworthy, outside The Medium (which I previously believed to be exclusive).

I did like them because this means they will be Day 1 on Game Pass.

Also really? not noteworthy? STALKER 2 looked great, The Gunk is from the SteamWorld creators (bunch of games in the 85-90s on Metacritic), the Warhammer game is a successor to the most successful Warhammer game since Dawn of War (Vermintide), Tetris Effect is critically acclaimed as well.

Btw. I have still no clue what you're supposed to be doing in Everwild.
Also were those characters NPCs or players. If so, it might be a Sea of Thieves type of game. Just.... without combat?

shikamaru317 said:

I definitely think we'll get some games in 2021. Everwild is 2021 most likely. Either Avowed or Fable will be their big Q4 2021 AAA, probably Avowed since Obsidian has had a large team working on it for 2 and a half years already according to leakers (4 years by Holiday 2021), it was in development before MS even acquired Obsidian. We might not get Forza Motorsport reboot in 2021, but if we don't we're definitely getting Forza Horizon 5 in 2021, no way they go 3 years in a row with no new Forza games, a series that was yearly at one point.

I definitely think State of Decay 3 and Fable are 2022 games.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I might buy a console solely for the bloody Medium's sake. The game had a je ne sais quoi that drew me like hell. Also, the aesthetic, often overlooked, reminds me of FF (Fable did as well) and I'm a sucker for gorgeous characters and more so coming from Western devs who seem to think FF character designs are anime and their potato heads are "realistic" even though I have an IMDB list that says otherwise. 

SoD no longer interests me. 

All in all, it was good, but it won't be turning people over and that's what I was hoping for. It's for the people who are already on board. 

Barozi said:
Btw. I have still no clue what you're supposed to be doing in Everwild.
Also were those characters NPCs or players. If so, it might be a Sea of Thieves type of game. Just.... without combat?

Methinks Zelda BoTW meets Okami. 

I really hope a character creator is present or the designs whose faces we saw turn out attractive since even when it comes to toon games, I'm a sucker for gorgeous characters and can't play a game with ugly potatoes. 

There's a good reason DF didn't sell me jack and why I rely on enhancement mods for Beth games. Even The Witcher 3 I ended up with a young Geralt mod and added bangs to said mod. 

I wonder if they are saving the "good stuff" for the Series S party.