By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
jason1637 said:

Does Square own Crystal? If so I expect MS to poach their talent after PD launches.

Indeed they do. Since 2009 I believe when Square also bought Eidos.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
EspadaGrim said:

Damn it sucks that they lost all of that talent, I’m actually worried for the game and The Initiative team now.

It does suck but Crystal Dynamics are a talented studio too and will likely work very well for Gallagher since he ran them for 13 years, I would suspect that the people leaving The Initiative are being replaced by Crystal Dynamics senior employees whilst The Initiative leads the overall vision still.

My worry is more what happens after Perfect Dark if Square Enix doesn't want to do Perfect Dark 2. Maybe The Initiative should staff up into a typical 300-400 person AAA studio whilst Crystal Dynamics develops the bulk of it but if not, Microsoft needs to acquire Crystal Dynamics or have some guarantees at least they won't lose them later down the line.

Being at almost 50 devs after nearly 4 years of existence is very bad especially when you consider the amount of talent in the area, if something else happens and Darrel Gallagher ends up leaving it could mean the end of the studio itself. That’s doomsday scenario though.

MS might need to now really consider making a bid for both Crystal and Eidos from Squenix after the ActiBlizz deal goes through. Another possible option would be to go after the WB studios since the new CEO wants to make over 3 billion in budget cuts and might not be interested in being in the gaming business at all. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/where-warnermedia-discovery-will-find-3-billion-in-cuts-newsletter-2021-5%3famp

EspadaGrim said:
Ryuu96 said:

It does suck but Crystal Dynamics are a talented studio too and will likely work very well for Gallagher since he ran them for 13 years, I would suspect that the people leaving The Initiative are being replaced by Crystal Dynamics senior employees whilst The Initiative leads the overall vision still.

My worry is more what happens after Perfect Dark if Square Enix doesn't want to do Perfect Dark 2. Maybe The Initiative should staff up into a typical 300-400 person AAA studio whilst Crystal Dynamics develops the bulk of it but if not, Microsoft needs to acquire Crystal Dynamics or have some guarantees at least they won't lose them later down the line.

Being at almost 50 devs after nearly 4 years of existence is very bad especially when you consider the amount of talent in the area, if something else happens and Darrel Gallagher ends up leaving it could mean the end of the studio itself. That’s doomsday scenario though.

MS might need to now really consider making a bid for both Crystal and Eidos from Squenix after the ActiBlizz deal goes through. Another possible option would be to go after the WB studios since the new CEO wants to make over 3 billion in budget cuts and might not be interested in being in the gaming business at all. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/where-warnermedia-discovery-will-find-3-billion-in-cuts-newsletter-2021-5%3famp

Square really should consider selling off their western division. Square has done nothing but severely mismanage both studios and then blame them for their games failures. 

Ryuu96 said:

Well not that bad, 

Looking forward to giving Crusader Kings a go. Heard good things

Around the Network
Angelus said:

Have you ever played a Paradox grand strategy game before? If not, prepare to spend at least 50 hours learning the game before actually being able to play it lol it’s extremely satisfying though! 

gtotheunit91 said:
Angelus said:

Have you ever played a Paradox grand strategy game before? If not, prepare to spend at least 50 hours learning the game before actually being able to play it lol it’s extremely satisfying though! 

I have not lol. But that's ok, I have enough patience for the undertaking. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Angelus said:

I agree that you need to learn the basics, otherwise you won't have a clue what's going on but I disagree with the 50 hours estimate to play the game.

I only watched some streamers play the game for a few hours (complete noobs that learned the game while playing with a short 2 hour guided tutorial by someone who had a little more experience and some helpful tips from the chat) and that was enough. However, even after 50 hours there will still be stuff to learn for optimization.

Last edited by Barozi - on 15 March 2022

Barozi said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I agree that you need to learn the basics, otherwise you won't have a clue what's going on but I disagree with the 50 hours estimate to play the game.

I only watched some streamers play the game for a few hours (complete noobs that learned the game while playing with a short 2 hour guided tutorial by someone who had a little more experience and some helpful tips from the chat) and that was enough. However, even after 50 hours there will still be stuff to learn for optimization.

Haha yeah that was an over exaggeration on my part. But you're right, even after that amount of time, there's still so many ways to improve your gameplay. That's why when you look at Steam reviews for Paradox's games, you'll find many with hundreds or thousands of hours of playtime. 

Ryuu96 said:

Is this in regards to Perfect Dark?