By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Xbox Games Showcase Recap | Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport Gameplay Reveal | Minecraft Legends, Ara History Untold, Pentiment Announced | Grounded, As Dusk Falls Release Date

Would You Like to See Another Fallout in the Original Genre?

Yes, I’d Love to Play an Isometric Fallout 1 16.67%

Yes, Isometric Fallout Is Better 0 0%

I’d Be Happy With Both 2 33.33%

I Don't Care, I Don't Like Fallout 1 16.67%

No, I Dislike Isometric Titles 1 16.67%

No, It’s Pointless, Giv... 0 0%

Give Me Isometric Fallout and More Wasteland 0 0%

Not a Mainline/Spinoff bu... 1 16.67%

Total:6
trunkswd said:
Machiavellian said:

My question is, did the 360 actually sold in Japan because of Japanese games or did it sell because it brought western games to the Japanese market that was not on the Sony or Nintendo platform.

It had 2 JRPG exclusives - Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey - from the Final Fantasy series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi.

Plus several other JP exclusives and timed exclusives that sold reasonably well. Dead or Alive 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean: The Lost Hope, Tenchu Z, Ninety Nine Nights, Eternal Sonata, Mobile Suit Gundam: Operation Troy, The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Planet, and more.

The large number of Japanese exclusives were definitely the main contributing factor to Xbox 360's relative success in Japan, the exclusives plus the 1 year headstart over PS3, which helped to get early JP exclusives.

Around the Network

In definitely very curious if MS has been anymore aggressive courting JPN content.

I think the recent JPN producer position (partner?) Is too recent for that to have any real effect.

But there's def studios they should've been pursuing partnerships with by now.

trunkswd said:
Machiavellian said:

My question is, did the 360 actually sold in Japan because of Japanese games or did it sell because it brought western games to the Japanese market that was not on the Sony or Nintendo platform.

It had 2 JRPG exclusives - Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey - from the Final Fantasy series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi.

I just do not remember any of those exclusive games selling very well in Japan.  Like I stated before, the amount of Japanese games that are only on Sony and Nintendo system in Japan is on a whole level compared to the Xbox.  I cannot see any one in Japan purchasing an Xbox for Japanese content.  If anything they would get the system for content that is not represented on the Sony or Nintendo system and it would need to be a different experience.  Another RPG where there are tons of Japanese RPGs on Sony and Nintendo system I doubt will cut it. I will take a look at the data to see how well these games actually sold in Japan.  Even so its not like the 360 was a top seller or even competitive.

Machiavellian said:
trunkswd said:

I just do not remember any of those exclusive games selling very well in Japan.  Like I stated before, the amount of Japanese games that are only on Sony and Nintendo system in Japan is on a whole level compared to the Xbox.  I cannot see any one in Japan purchasing an Xbox for Japanese content.  If anything they would get the system for content that is not represented on the Sony or Nintendo system and it would need to be a different experience.  Another RPG where there are tons of Japanese RPGs on Sony and Nintendo system I doubt will cut it. I will take a look at the data to see how well these games actually sold in Japan.  Even so its not like the 360 was a top seller or even competitive.

Best easy example:

Star ocean the last hope,

Releases as a Time exclusive in Japan,  Sells 166k first week , boost HW sales to 24K, rather impressive...

PS3 version comes out later, expectations were it will easily beat that number, it didn't....In fact it did way worse than expected. (Literally after a year of  'Sales are horrible the PS3 version will do so much)

Excuses that are brought up by fanboys:  It was clear a lot of Japanese fans bought the game for xbox 360 or got an X360 in Japan for the game so you can not compare those games.

You can even find discussion about it from Vghchartz: https://www.vgchartz.com/article/7108/famitsu-japan-game-charts-and-sales-28-214/

twintail said:

In definitely very curious if MS has been anymore aggressive courting JPN content.

I think the recent JPN producer position (partner?) Is too recent for that to have any real effect.

Yeah it seems like only recently they have have started conversations to get exclusive Japanese games outside of the rumored Kojima game (reported by Jeff Grubb), one of the studios that they should have jumped on was JP Games and now there are rumors that they have a partnership with Sony.

It might be to little to late with MS since many Japanese studios are now getting bought up even by Tencent and Netease.

Around the Network
EspadaGrim said:
twintail said:

Yeah it seems like only recently they have have started conversations to get exclusive Japanese games outside of the rumored Kojima game (reported by Jeff Grubb), one of the studios that they should have jumped on was JP Games and now there are rumors that they have a partnership with Sony.

It might be to little to late with MS since many Japanese studios are now getting bought up even by Tencent and Netease.

I believe that leaker is unreliable. Though, I think the chances of Hashimoto working with Sony is greater than MS. 

But still have to wait to see. Would be a good get from MS.

Jez still believes Indiana Jones is multiplatform.

I'm assuming this is either a consequence of the contract being done with LucasArt prior to Microsoft acquiring Bethesda or a consequence of the license, Lucas wanting it multiplatform possibly due to Game Pass, if it's exclusive then it would be safe to assume the majority would play it via Game Pass but if it's multiplatform then millions will still buy it on Playstation.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 28 May 2022

Ryuu96 said:

I'm assuming this is either a consequence of the contract being done with LucasArt prior to Microsoft acquiring Bethesda or a consequence of the license, Lucas wanting it multiplatform possibly due to Game Pass, if it's exclusive then it would be safe to assume the majority would play it via Game Pass but if it's multiplatform then millions will still buy it on Playstation.

If this is true it's a massive failing on Xbox's part. Sony is out there with 3 Disney games/IP's as timed or full PS exclusives already; KOTOR Remake, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. If Xbox can't even lock down exclusivity on Indiana Jones to counter what Sony is doing, smh. Phil needs to be willing to release a few exclusives that aren't day one Gamepass if it's creating issues with potential 2nd or 3rd party exclusives, there is no reason why you can't sign a deal to bring the game to Gamepass after like 3-6 months after release instead of it being day one Gamepass if it will sweeten the deal for the 2nd or 3rd party partner and allow you to lock down full or timed exclusivity on the game. The way that Phil runs the Xbox division bugs me more and more these days.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

If this is true it's a massive failing on Xbox's part. Sony is out there with 3 Disney games/IP's as timed or full PS exclusives already; KOTOR Remake, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. If Xbox can't even lock down exclusivity on Indiana Jones to counter what Sony is doing, smh. Phil needs to be willing to release a few exclusives that aren't day one Gamepass if it's creating issues with potential 2nd or 3rd party exclusives, there is no reason why you can't sign a deal to bring the game to Gamepass after like 3-6 months after release instead of it being day one Gamepass if it will sweeten the deal for the 2nd or 3rd party partner and allow you to lock down full or timed exclusivity on the game. The way that Phil runs the Xbox division bugs me more and more these days.

When Elder Scrolls VI is all but confirmed as exclusive but Indiana Jones isn't then it implies to me that it's either an issue with the license or contract and further convinces me that Microsoft should simply stay away from licenses rather than make a bunch of concessions to make the license holder happy.

I'm only speculating but it may have been greenlit on the basis that it would achieve X amount of sales, to make it exclusive would likely be an obvious break of that goal they made with LucasArts. Microsoft going back to the negotiation table puts them at the disadvantage and allows Lucas to take advantage of that cause Microsoft (in particular, MachineGames) needs this game a lot more than Lucas needs it, which allows Lucas to drive up the price.

The only reason Xbox is even alive right now is Game Pass, the promises that Phil made to Satya about the future of Game Pass, the exclusives need to be day one, as they've already promised to us for years now that every exclusive they're involved in will be day one in Game Pass, it's the business proposition that Phil made to Satya, to go back on it to their fans and their own CEO would be a bad look.

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

When Elder Scrolls VI is all but confirmed as exclusive but Indiana Jones isn't then it implies to me that it's either an issue with the license or contract and further convinces me that Microsoft should simply stay away from licenses rather than make a bunch of concessions to make the license holder happy.

I'm only speculating but it may have been greenlit on the basis that it would achieve X amount of sales, to make it exclusive would likely be an obvious break of that goal they made with LucasArts. Microsoft going back to the negotiation table puts them at the disadvantage and allows Lucas to take advantage of that cause Microsoft (in particular, MachineGames) needs this game a lot more than Lucas needs it, which allows Lucas to drive up the price.

The only reason Xbox is even alive right now is Game Pass, the promises that Phil made to Satya about the future of Game Pass, the exclusives need to be day one, as they've already promised to us for years now that every exclusive they're involved in will be day one in Game Pass, it's the business proposition that Phil made to Satya, to go back on it to their fans and their own CEO would be a bad look.

It's bad business sense, sacrificing potential exclusives in the name of making all games day one Gamepass. Some devs and publishers are never going to be willing to accept releasing an Xbox exclusive that is day one Gamepass because they see Gamepass downloads as costing them too many crucial day one $60 sales, it puts Xbox at an automatic disadvantage at the negotiating table. Such a mentality would particularly hurt them when trying to get JP exclusives I suspect, which will make getting 2nd party JP exclusives even more difficult than it already would be. 

Hardware movement should trump all else in Xbox's eyes, with Gamepass growth being a still very important secondary concern. You need to move alot of hardware to be a success in the gaming industry, and nothing moves more hardware than popular, high selling exclusives. Licensing already popular IP's as exclusives is one of the best ways to get a strong selling exclusive that move alot of hardware, Spider-Man from Insomniac already proved that when it sold like 4x as many copies as the previous bestselling Insomniac game. If there is one thing Xbox is currently lacking in, it's exclusives that are capable of selling the kind of numbers that Sony's exclusives like Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon, God of War, and Spider-Man are moving (all trending toward 20m+ lifetime, if not already above 20m), popular licensed IP's as exclusives is one of the best ways that Xbox can move those kind of software numbers themselves. Indiana Jones could have potentially been one such IP that could have moved alot of hardware for Xbox, seeing as Indiana Jones 4 did $790m at the box office and Indy 5 may well cross the $1b mark, that is a lot of fans of the series that may potentially buy the game on Xbox if it is exclusive.

Why is selling alot of hardware so important? The reasons are severalfold:

• The more hardware that is sold, the more software, service subs, and accessories the person buying that console buys over the course of the generation, and software, service subs, and accessories all generate big profit unlike the hardware itself which is loss leading.
  • A console that has a big sales lead over another console has a big advantage at the negotiating table when making 2nd party and 3rd party moneyhat deals. The larger a console's install base, the more potential copies sold as an exclusive vs as a multiplat game, which gives an advantage when negotiating for both 2nd party full exclusive deals and 3rd party timed hat deals. In other words, if Xbox doesn't start doing more to close the hardware gap with Sony, Sony will continue to be able to lock down big 2nd party games and timed 3rd party hats with relative ease, which continues a cycle that is bad for Xbox owners.
  • The more hardware that is sold in non-core markets for Xbox, the more retail space and the more headspace Xbox begins to get in those markets, which builds up success that will last into later generations.
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 28 May 2022