By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
konnichiwa said:
The online of RDR 2 has also been improved with jobs, love the collector job, but also small things that make a huge difference. One of them is that if you get troll killed the killer will have it harder to see other players on the map.

Interesting, have you played it much? I tried the online stuff when it was still beta and much like GTAV online, didn't like it much. I loved the gunplay on single player but man it didn't work on PvP at all..

Might give it another shot later. I was working on 100% completion for single player as well but took a break and never went back.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Wow.

Thanks for this news I wouldn’t have found out otherwise. I skipped the game at the time...this just saved me some money from buying. GP is the best gaming service by far 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

KiigelHeart said:
konnichiwa said:
The online of RDR 2 has also been improved with jobs, love the collector job, but also small things that make a huge difference. One of them is that if you get troll killed the killer will have it harder to see other players on the map.

Interesting, have you played it much? I tried the online stuff when it was still beta and much like GTAV online, didn't like it much. I loved the gunplay on single player but man it didn't work on PvP at all..

Might give it another shot later. I was working on 100% completion for single player as well but took a break and never went back.

Yeah I played it when they launched online but around level 12 I got tired of it, had no purpose.

I went back when they announced the release of three jobs:

First the bad part,  to start a job you need to pay gold (hard if you are new to the game) but easy to have when you have played it for a bit.

They also introduced daily/weekly challenges that add up to the amount of gold (between 1-3 Gold bars a day should be earnable).

Unlocking a job cost around 10/15 Gold bars.

Every job also has job levels that unlock new skills/Abilities and a lot of cosmetic stuff.

You may choose between the trader (basically doing trading work and delivering stuff my least favourite one).

The bounty hunger, while fun it is also bit low in payout;

My favourite is the collector, basically the map has 150-250 collectibles that you;...Well can collect but compared to other games they change on a daily basis (the fanbase has live maps and updates them).   The pay out is insane, because you get a ton of XP but also if you sell a collection you can earn between 1000-2500 bucks for 8-15 items.  

Secondly they added some kind of battle pas in the game like Fortnite, again it also cost around 10 Gold bars but you have a ton of unlockables/20+ gold bars that you can earn if you reach level 100 in the battle pass and in combination with the collector job you can earn level 100 in 20 hours. It is a bit broken but I don't mind as a collector.

Lastly they also opened the moonshine job, where you can earn a property and sell moonshine/do related quests (earned the job but did nothing in it)

But yeah did not play it the last months have to check it again ^^'.

shikamaru317 said:
KiigelHeart said:

Nah. While I love both RDR1 and Witcher 3, RDR2 is simply on another level. Most immersive gaming experience ever.  If they do remake RDR, it should be the same focus on realism and detail.

And since you liked the Indigo Child twist on Fahrenheit, so my opinion will forever carry more weight ;) 

I disagree on that personally. For me (and I've spoken with alot of others who said the same thing), the focus on realism with needing to eat and use health restoring items, feed and brush horses, take baths, inventory management and carrying capacities, etc. reminds me that I'm in a game rather than immersing me in it. I personally found RDR1 to be the much more immersive game simply because those realism elements were lacking. 

A good quote from an article on the matter:

"Meanwhile, Red Dead Redemption 2 is constantly drawing attention to its attempts at realism and in the process isn’t realistic. It has elements that emulate real life but even those are abstract. For instance, playable character Arthur Morgan’s clothes are categorized by climates: cold, normal and hot. However, their use is delegated to set areas of the game rather than the weather changing unpredictably as it does in real life. There’s no unseasonably cold or hot day, only designated biomes. And what about reloading your guns? Does Arthur never fumble in the midst of combat? Which is even more puzzling when you consider that technically you could play the entire game without having him sleep once. The dude must be tired!

So, to answer the question posed in the title of this article: Red Dead Redemption 2 strives for realism and probably takes it too far given the constraints of what a video game can accomplish. This can be frustrating at times when it’s inconvenient in ways that aren’t fun and creates many moments of dissonance when it falls short. But it’s not too realistic because it’s not actually realistic at all."

Those contrasts to RDR2's attempt at simulated realism aren't even the more annoying ones. What really always pissed me off is how committing crimes in full face mask, and in an outfit you never otherwise wear, doesn't actually prevent you from being recognized for said crimes later despite taking every precaution. Or how crimes are somehow reported and responded to when you commit them out in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no witnesses.

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

Those contrasts to RDR2's attempt at simulated realism aren't even the more annoying ones. What really always pissed me off is how committing crimes in full face mask, and in an outfit you never otherwise wear, doesn't actually prevent you from being recognized for said crimes later despite taking every precaution. Or how crimes are somehow reported and responded to when you commit them out in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no witnesses.

Yeah, I forgot about that, it's awful for sure. I'm pretty sure I got a bounty on my head at one point for simply bumping into an NPC in a town, lol. 

Ya, there are some interesting things the game blames you for. You can bump into a guy, or even just stand in his face for a while, and they might get mad, pull out their gun, start shooting at you, but then when you defend yourself, you're the one who gets the law on his ass for being a bad guy. Like...how? I thought this was America motherfucker lol

Last edited by Angelus - on 23 April 2020

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
KiigelHeart said:

Nah. While I love both RDR1 and Witcher 3, RDR2 is simply on another level. Most immersive gaming experience ever.  If they do remake RDR, it should be the same focus on realism and detail.

And since you liked the Indigo Child twist on Fahrenheit, so my opinion will forever carry more weight ;) 

I disagree on that personally. For me (and I've spoken with alot of others who said the same thing), the focus on realism with needing to eat and use health restoring items, feed and brush horses, take baths, wear climate appropriate clothes, manage your inventory thanks to small carrying capacities, help out around camp, get a bounty on your head for bumping into an NPC, etc. reminds me that I'm in a game rather than immersing me in it. Frustration snaps me out of immersion almost immediately, and RDR2 is a game that is very easy to get frustrated with. I personally found RDR1 to be the much more immersive game simply because that focus on realism was lacking. 

A good quote from an article on the matter:

"Meanwhile, Red Dead Redemption 2 is constantly drawing attention to its attempts at realism and in the process isn’t realistic. It has elements that emulate real life but even those are abstract. For instance, playable character Arthur Morgan’s clothes are categorized by climates: cold, normal and hot. However, their use is delegated to set areas of the game rather than the weather changing unpredictably as it does in real life. There’s no unseasonably cold or hot day, only designated biomes. And what about reloading your guns? Does Arthur never fumble in the midst of combat? Which is even more puzzling when you consider that technically you could play the entire game without having him sleep once. The dude must be tired!

So, to answer the question posed in the title of this article: Red Dead Redemption 2 strives for realism and probably takes it too far given the constraints of what a video game can accomplish. This can be frustrating at times when it’s inconvenient in ways that aren’t fun and creates many moments of dissonance when it falls short. But it’s not too realistic because it’s not actually realistic at all."

Hey, don't hate on Indigo Prophecy xD I love games that are over-the-top personally. D4, Indigo Prophecy, Saints Row 4, Tales From the Borderlands, etc. I love it when game writers don't take themselves too seriously and just have fun, balls to the wall style. 

Strange article imo, since I never thought RDR2 aims to be fully realistic. Heck, how realistic can it be that you shoot 300 people during the campaign. I mean, it's still a video game. Realism is more about the phasing and detail to the world. There are some goofs that I can see some find annoying, but I didn't. Dying isn't punished much and you're not short on cash etc. So, I think writer of that article got it wrong. 

I can already tell you that Kingdom Come, another masterpiece, is not a game for you though. It aims for deeper realism than RDR2. 

I liked D4 and Tales from the Borderlands 2 also, it's just that Fahrenheit didn't have that balls to the wall style. It was clear writers of Fahrenheit took themselves seriously :P Their big twist was just out of place. 

Last edited by KiigelHeart - on 23 April 2020

Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, I forgot about that, it's awful for sure. I'm pretty sure I got a bounty on my head at one point for simply bumping into an NPC in a town, lol. 

Ya, there are some interesting things the game blames you for. You can bump into a guy, or even just stand in his face for a while, and they might get made, pull out their gun, start shooting at you, but then when you defend yourself, you're the one who gets the law on his ass for being a bad guy. Like...how? I thought this was America motherfucker lol

Hah I once saved a poor guy from bandits, but accidentally shot a horse during gunfight. A guy sees it and wants to report me for animal cruelty. So I catch him and tie him up, because I'm not a mindless killer. Of course another bystander sees it and shouts he'll report me for kidnapping.. well ffffuuuuu... lol loved this stuff.

shikamaru317 said:

Bleeding Edge is finally getting the dolphin character next week. Ninja Theory also announced they have another new character and a new map in development. Sounds like they don’t plan to abandon the game in spite of the player base drop off.

It always seemed like a GaaS title to me even though it has no microtransactions. Naturally they were going to add more characters and maps. They need to add more modes as well.

The game is only $30, so I'm not expecting a huge investment though.

I’ll come back to Bleeding Edge after it has more playlists and characters. Just like Sea of Thieves I didn’t truly get into it until it had the 1 year anniversary content update. I had a ton of fun but it currently lacks a long term draw. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Just played 6 matches of Bleeding Edge after taking a short break. Duo with two randoms, won 5 and lost one match. Two of our wins were lame, opponents had no idea what to do, they just attacked us one after another and died. But other 4 matches were brilliant and close.

It's such a good game. I hope it can keep a decent population. Matchmaking was still very quick at least.