By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
Replicant said:

Off topic: Good job with the thread, Ryuu. I think more casual PS users would return to VGC if the PS thread had an OP just half as active as you. As such, I now find myself discussing a Sony rumor in the Xbox thread

I was going to make a post in Playstation Nation a few weeks back to hopefully give some encouragement/advice but I'll respond to this.

I want to say that, I may be active and post a lot of news but that wouldn't mean anything without the awesome community in the thread discussing the news, these threads are after-all a community effort, I post the news but others respond to it, folk also in here create their own discussions too (or post news if I don't get to it first) it's not just me!

If we rewind a little, Jaywood's Empire was far more active than this current iteration of Empire and I was also basically the news poster of that Empire too for the most part but I wasn't the OP, the OP doesn't necessarily have to be the one finding and posting all the news, it's probably better if everyone chips in Tbh, you see something interesting then post it (and not in bulk, I feel like posting in bulk keeps the discussion short).

In defence of Bristow and others, I have a lot more free time than most here and him due to differences in our personal lives but even so it is hard coming up with poll ideas, I blew through all my ideas in under a year. Finding news is easy enough and fairly simple...

Follow the right people on Twitter, the vast majority of folk I follow on Twitter are news sites, some multiplatform, some geared towards Xbox, I'll skim through my Twitter at :00 intervals, most often around 2pm or 5pm as that is when most major news is posted, in doing so I also find minor bits of news. Anything I miss I will do a quick skim of ResetEra or one of the Xbox Subreddits.

That's basically all there is to it, I'd say if you want to increase activity in PS Nation then work together as a community, anyone can be the news poster, you could be, encourage others to chip in, give Bristow some poll ideas (cause again, it's hard). I'm also doing bets now which I'm getting around the restriction of one bet per thread by creating threads, locking them, entering a bet and then posting the link here so I can run multiple bets at once, you can give Brisy bet ideas too and he can just copy the way I do it.

Work together as a community, bring a positive vibe to the thread, talk about your love of all things Playstation, get to know each other as it can sometimes become more of a social thread and I've always been okay with that, a little off-topic is fine every now and then for my thread Imo if it's friendly chatter.

Not to mention that the Xbox thread has historically been active out of necessity as you're generally unable to have a decent Xbox related conversation outside of it. Meanwhile. Hot Topics is filled with Sony and Nintendo related discussions which progress normally and don't need constant intervention to stay on track.

If people want something to be active, they need to be an 'active' participant and work towards the change they want to see.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

- xCloud for PC Spring "Sooner rather than later"

- Internal testing opened to a very wide demographic.

- It currently only works with Edge or Chrome, Firefox/Safari unlikely.

- xCloud PC is 'available in the browser'

- Not sure if the standalone xCloud PC App is shelved in favour of a browser.

- Latency is about as good as it is on Android.

- iOS not as in wide scale testing as the PC, little bit further behind.

Will iOS users be able to use Chrome to access it then? Or will they not because Chrome on iOS is actually based on safari? 

Has said:

Will iOS users be able to use Chrome to access it then? Or will they not because Chrome on iOS is actually based on safari? 

It's strange that Brad claims that it's unlikely to work on desktop version of Safari. Mobile Safari and desktop share the same technology so if it's not gonna work on desktop, it wouldn't work on mobile either. As for Chrome on iOS - you are right, it's just a Safari wrapper with Google services baked in. In terms of web engine itself, it's the same as Apple's browser.

Here's a shameless plug for my achievement league, join before March to be included in every month :P

derpysquirtle64 said:
It obviously has nothing to do with Sony selling their share. It's just a coincidence that Sony selling their share happened at the same time as Xbox One release happened which resulted in Microsoft losing half of their 360 player base.

My point was more to say that if we want as many games as possible to stay multiplat, a small stake wouldn't necessarily hinder that as Sony owning a stake in SE from 2001 to 2014 didn't keep them from releasing games on Xbox.

Ryuu96 said:
I may be active and post a lot of news but that wouldn't mean anything without the awesome community in the thread discussing the news, these threads are after-all a community effort, I post the news but others respond to it, folk also in here create their own discussions too (or post news if I don't get to it first) it's not just me!

Oh, no doubt. But it clearly helps to have an active OP (or an active news poster like you say you were in Jaywood's Xbox thread). As such, there's always some exciting news/rumor/update for users to discuss. In the month leading up to the PS5 launch, I updated the PS thread consistently and quickly more and more users joined the discussion making it one of the most active threads on VGC. This was also the case for PS threads by Pezus for instance. I know I could just be that active news poster myself but unfortunately I don't have the time now that work is back at 100%. Maybe there's simply no PS user on VGC that has the time as many of the most active PS users have left.
English is my 3rd language but I hope it's still somewhat clear that my goal isn't just to complain but rather share my worries about a dwindling community that I used to be quite fond of. I don't know if anything could/should be done but I'd be interested to hear if it's something mods have discussed (I understand that pm would be more suited than this place).

Raven said:
Hot Topics is filled with Sony related discussions which progress normally and don't need constant intervention to stay on track.

Nah, not anymore. At least that's no longer how I experience it. Based on what I hear from other PS users that's not how they see it either. Many PS threads are train wrecks. That's why many casual PS users have left. After all, talking about your hobby is supposed to be fun.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Is Edge available on iOS? Maybe you are supposed to use Edge as a workaround for no Safari support.

It is available on iOS, but just like in case of Chrome, it's a Safari wrapper, which means that if Safari is not supported, then iOS Edge won't be either.

Finished Desperados III.

Great game. Pleasing visuals, great gameplay, likeable characters and tons of different ways to complete levels.
I only have a few complaints. It would be nice if you could zoom in the camera a bit closer to see you main cast a little better. On the other hand I understand why you can't do it. Characters aren't that well detailed, certainly not on the level of Gears Tactics.

My biggest issue with the game are the vision cones. Every NPC that isn't talking to someone else or is working on a fence etc. is constantly looking from left to right. I know it makes the game more challenging but that's just so unnatural. The worst thing is that at the beginning of the game you don't know that and even zoomed in (not the best way to play the game) you barely see their heads moving, so if you didn't check you'd expect them to watch in a fixed direction. So just remember, everyone is constantly moving their head from left to right (and back obviously) even if it appears that their heads aren't moving.

The campaign has a decent length. Finished the first few missions in about 30 minutes each, the following 10 or so took me an hour each and the last one took me two hours. All in all about 15 hours.

One of the best things is probably the variation in characters and their abilities. One moves fast when crouched, only one can melee kill the tanky NPCs (Long Coats), one can throw knives, one can disguise herself and then walk around freely through enemy ranks and distract them, one can snipe etc. etc. Everyone is useful in their own way and the levels are designed so that you constantly play with a different team.
Enemy design is similiarly well done. For example, Gunmen and Gunwomen will follow footprints, or sounds, while Ponchos won't move away from their position. Both male variations can be distracted by one of your female characters but she can only make Gunmen follow her. On the other hand, Long Coats are the only ones that can look through her disguise. So yeah the game is very tactical.
There's a high chance to fail but the game acknowledges that by giving you a quicksave button. Don't expect to walk through the level without saving/loading. On an average level I saved about 100 times and loaded about 30 times.

8.5/10

250 that it won't. I'd like it to release this year, but with everything being delayed...

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

What are good games with upgrades to show off the power of the series X right now? I was a sucker and paid the $10 to upgrade Call of Duty to the next Gen version and the Ray tracing is gorgeous. Any other games you guys suggest? The upgrade to metro exodus above sounds nice. I played most of it when it was on gamepass, but maybe I'll buy it now.

VersusEvil said:
Has said:

What are good games with upgrades to show off the power of the series X right now? I was a sucker and paid the $10 to upgrade Call of Duty to the next Gen version and the Ray tracing is gorgeous. Any other games you guys suggest? The upgrade to metro exodus above sounds nice. I played most of it when it was on gamepass, but maybe I'll buy it now.

I think it's pretty much universally agreed that Hivebusters for Gears 5 (you can play both on GP) is the best looking thing on Series X right now.

I should have mentioned that I did play Hive busters and it was amazing graphics wise and solid gameplay wise. Can't go wrong with gears. But this does give me the idea to play the main campaign again, I remember it being quite beautiful and it's been upgraded too from what I recall.