By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Tracking The Rise (Or Fall?) of Skywalker

thismeintiel said:

Man, the lengths some will go to desperately try to prove that these films didn't underperform because of a poor reception from many fans. In the end, I suppose the calender is the largest determining factor of how your film will perform, not the reception of said film. I guess Disney are a bunch of incompetent morons for not knowing this. I mean, they have been in the movie business for over 80 years and they didn't know that if they only released their film one week earlier it would be sitting at $1.3B+ by now. Oh, boy.

The calendar argument hasn't even been the worst post in here in the last 15 or so posts

Around the Network
starcraft said:

Obviously I am not going to devote even a minute to doing that.

Obviously because you can't find proof as there is none. Anyway I'll go ahead and follow your advice, as one who makes claims while refusing to explain or back them up but still asserting that they're correct is textbook definition of unreasonable.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
starcraft said:

Obviously I am not going to devote even a minute to doing that.

Obviously because you can't find proof as there is none. Anyway I'll go ahead and follow your advice, as one who makes claims while refusing to explain or back them up but still asserting that they're correct is textbook definition of unreasonable.

Ok Boomer!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I really doubt itd be any closer. Your whole argument falls apart when we consider Disney, a multi multi multi billion dollar a year company, has had the release date scheduled for months before releasing it. This said company, being films is one of the greatest revenues for them, would be fully aware that the calendar would negatively impact sales. This company would also be aware that any other company would want to avoid facing the juggernaut of SW in the box office directly. Disney would be able to announce what date they would want and keep it and force the other companies with much smaller movies to release that week later.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/02/02/star-wars-box-office-rise-of-skywalker-tops-rogue-one-why-a-blockbuster-feels-like-a-bomb/amp/

Finally just edged out RO.

Around the Network

Really, no one is gonna acknowledge that a user seriously just said "ok boomer" on this site? Man I get heat for far, far less. xD

ROS made $3.19M at the DBO in its 7th weekend. This is 39.5% lower than RO's $5.27M for the same weekend. Currently, ROS has a DBO total of $507.1M. This is 2.5% lower than RO's $520.2M for the same time period. If this holds, ROS will finish with $518.9M compared to RO's $532.2M.

Currently, the FBO makes up 52% of the WW BO. If this holds, ROS will finish with a FBO total of $561.1M, 7.1% higher than RO's $523.9M. A WW total of $1.08B, 1.9% higher than RO's $1.06B.

DarthJarvis said:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/02/02/star-wars-box-office-rise-of-skywalker-tops-rogue-one-why-a-blockbuster-feels-like-a-bomb/amp/

Finally just edged out RO.

Definitely a massive under performance.  Disney did not spend $400M-$500M making and marketing this film to finish less than 5% above the spin-off that is RO, actually below it at the DBO.  If only those idiots knew if they released just a mere 7 days earlier, they would have made $300M+ more, audience reception be damned.  I guess they were afraid of the mighty Jumanji sequel.

Edit: Interesting read.  Especially seeing all of those films whose last film installment outperformed the previous one.  The funniest bit, though?  LOTR:ROTK only saw 3 extra days in Dec compared to ROS, yet is outperfoming its legs with UNADJUSTED numbers.  Adjust them for inflation and its not pretty.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 02 February 2020

that forbes article makes it sound like it is in no small part the Joker's fault ROS under performed, It is hard to be a 1 dimensional woman in a 3 dimensional clown's world

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROS made $2.31M at the DBO in its 8th weekend. This is 20.9% lower than RO's $2.92M for the same weekend. Currently, ROS has a DBO total of $510.6M. This is 2.7% lower than RO's $524.6M for the same time period. If this holds, ROS will finish with $517.8M compared to RO's $532.2M.

An interesting note about the FBO total. It seems that it was overestimated. Last weekend, the FBO was above $551M. Yesterday, they adjusted it down to $550.7M. Today, it was adjusted down further to $549.7M. Not really sure if that includes this past week or not. Until further updates, I will just assume it does. Currently, the FBO makes up 51.9% of the WW BO. If this holds, ROS will finish with a FBO total of $562.2M, 7.3% higher than RO's $523.9M. A WW total of $1.08B, 1.9% higher than RO's $1.06B.