By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Tracking The Rise (Or Fall?) of Skywalker

NightlyPoe said:
thismeintiel said:

Looks like this prediction didn't pan out.  Drops for TLJ's 3rd week: Mon-48%, Tue-72%, Wed-76%.  Drops for ROS's 3rd week: Mon-81%, Tue-70%, Wed-86%.

I'll take the hit.  I didn't factor in the big hit from losing the New Year's Holiday and The Last Jedi having it that week.  I was sloppy.

I was right about everything else though.

Even if you take out New Year's day, ROS would have lost.  TLJ has drops of 72%, 76%, and 78% for Tue, Wed, and Thu, an average drop of 75.3%.  ROS has drops of 70%, 86%, and 77%, and average drop of 77.7%.  This movie wasn't well received, either, regardless of what RT would have you believe.

Around the Network

It's too bad. While it isn't an excellent film, it's a step back in the right direction.

With the mandolorian doing well with both fans and critics, I hope they learn their lesson.

NightlyPoe said:
thismeintiel said:

Looks like this prediction didn't pan out.  Drops for TLJ's 3rd week: Mon-48%, Tue-72%, Wed-76%.  Drops for ROS's 3rd week: Mon-81%, Tue-70%, Wed-86%.

I'll take the hit.  I didn't factor in the big hit from losing the New Year's Holiday and The Last Jedi having it that week.  I was sloppy.

I was right about everything else though.

I think the biggest thing you didn't factor in was how many people lost interest in this trilogy after TLJ. Or how big was the "loud minority" that hated TLJ so much to the point of not being interested in the sequel.

S.Peelman said:

It would be better if they weren’t canon. It’ll never happen though. These exist now. They’re called “VII, VIII and XI”, they can’t be unmade.

Damn, they skipped IX & X?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NightlyPoe said:
chakkra said:

I think the biggest thing you didn't factor in was how many people lost interest in this trilogy after TLJ. Or how big was the "loud minority" that hated TLJ so much to the point of not being interested in the sequel.

Not really.  I kinda figured that interest would be a little lower if, for no other reason, that there's not much fun in Star Wars anymore thanks to it all being shouting.  Though I always assume that the internet isn't as real as we think it is.  Otherwise, Alita Battle Angel would have jumped to $20 million the weekend Captain Marvel came out and Pokemon Sword and Shield would have been boycotted into oblivion.

Ending somewhere around $500 million after 2 years of internet screaming and a movie that needed I don't think anyone denies needed another couple of re-writes just kinda confirms that the franchise is still trucking along.

There is still plenty of fun left in Star Wars. The Mandalorian and The Fallen Order proves it. It' s just this trilogy people lost interest in. And people don't usually lose interest in good things.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
chakkra said:

There is still plenty of fun left in Star Wars. The Mandalorian and The Fallen Order proves it. It' s just this trilogy people lost interest in. And people don't usually lose interest in good things.

Oh, there can still be good stuff to enjoy on my own.  But it feels like talking about Star Wars requires donning a hazmat suit, lined with kevlar.  I mean, do we actually talk about the movies or the implications and real-world shouting matches?

Even for the Prequels, I recall being able to discuss the actual movies to a far greater degree.

The only reason you would need a hazmat suit is if you can't stand others' opinions and/or the fact that the numbers don't support the narrative that the vast majority thought TLJ was a fine film and the franchise was not hurt by it.

NightlyPoe said:
thismeintiel said:

The only reason you would need a hazmat suit is if you can't stand others' opinions and/or the fact that the numbers don't support the narrative that the vast majority thought TLJ was a fine film and the franchise was not hurt by it.

Case in point.

Well, the truth does hurt sometimes.  But, you can't change it.

zorg1000 said:
S.Peelman said:

It would be better if they weren’t canon. It’ll never happen though. These exist now. They’re called “VII, VIII and XI”, they can’t be unmade.

Damn, they skipped IX & X?

Didn’t you notice? In IX and X they’re going to explain how Palpatine was still alive.

Both TLJ and ROS are among the largest second and third week drops of all time among movies. These drops are matched only by signficantly larger Marvel openings, which are traditionally first weekend heavy movies anyway. While it's fair to say online trolls exaggerated a critical mindset, as it has been discussed before, TLJ was genuinely divise from the start and neither it, nor the two Star Wars movies that followed, came anywhere close to matching box office expectations.

Captain Marvel and Black Panther are far better examples of movies that received rage from trolls without real world correspondence on their performance and reception.

NightlyPoe said:
thismeintiel said:

Case in point.

Case in point fir thismeintiel, right? Because he literally doesn't say anything to help your point