By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Netflix Witcher? *Spoiler tags*

As a huge fan of the games, I was incredibly happy with it, personally. They did far better than I dared to hope, and I ended up really liking all 3 of the leads quite a lot. Henry is especially perfect as Geralt imo. I didn't see it at all when he was first cast, but the role really fits him like a glove, and he got all of the little mannerisms I'm used to from the games down so well. Basically, his love of the IP really shines through on screen.

There's some stuff to nitpick (they could really cut down on their use of the word destiny in the script by about 60%), but overall, I'm just super happy with it. Can't wait for season 2.

Around the Network

I am 4 episodes in. I have read some of the books and recognize a lot of the story-lines from the book.

Overall, I am really enjoying the show, my biggest issue is I don't like the casting for Geralt and Dandelion. Despite thinking the main character was not well cast I was able to force my self to get past that and I am really enjoying the show. I been fine with how all the other characters been cast other then those 2 so far and just about everything else about the show.

John2290 said:

Any thoughts out there on this so far?

It starts out slow but just keeps building and building...
They did a amasing job with it, imo, far better than I thought they could.

This is good story telling, and shows they had material to work from (ei. book or lore enough).
I also love that theres a point to each and every episode, and a red thread, that flows throughout, progressing the storyline.

(im not a big fan of tv series, that have random directors for half of it, and story writters that come and write a one off, filler episode ect).

5 episodes in. It's good.

Needs more of a proper timeline. It jumps from ciri existing to her mother all of a sudden being a young teen refusing marriage.. To keep it vague.

Casting turned out to be good. Very happy with Henry Cavill as Geralt.

For people who have no book or game knowledge, it would be quite easy to loose track of what's going on.

shikamaru317 said:

Saw the first 2 episodes last night. It's relatively good so far, but it certainly has nothing on the games. People say it's supposed to be an adaptation of the books, rather than the games, but it seems like they're playing it pretty fast and loose if it's supposed to be based on the books. From what I remember reading on the wiki, Yennefer would have been trained as a Sorceress like 70 years before the time period where this first season is supposed to be set, yet they are showing her training now, without any kind of indication that these are flashback sequences, which would make her just a few years older than Ciri. Meanwhile, Ciri was supposed to be 10 or 11 when the slaughter of Cintra happened, yet she is being played by an actress who is over 18, meaning presumably that the character is at least late teens. We have racial changes for Fringilla Vigo and Istredd. The list of changes from the books goes on and on, so if their excuse for not copying the game look of the characters was because they wanted to stay true to the books, the excuse doesn't hold much water. 

Overall though, show seems good so far. Henry is great as Geralt, Freya is great as Ciri, need to see more of Yennefer before I comment on her actress. The action sequences were really well done, both for the battle between Nilfgaard and Cintra, and for the Geralt vs Renfri fight. The locations all look gorgeous. Plot seems good so far. 

The arc where your shown Yennefer, is 60+ years in the past (they jump back in time, to explain stuff).
They explain that lateron, theres no "gaf or fast and lose" there.

Ciri has flashback times, same with Geralt, and Yennifer in the story. Its not told 100% linarly, sometimes it lateron goes back to explain why things ended up as they did in earlier episodes.

To be fair Ciri does look younger than 18,.... maybe they didnt want to cast someone actually that young.

Around the Network

Episode 1 felt barely like a 5/10 but episode 2-3 made it jump to a 7/10-8/10. Enjoying it so far.

I binge the entire first season yesterday. I like how Henry Cavill pretty much became Geralt from the game. Voice, attitude, and even when he goes "Mhmm" It's like he is a fan of the witcher games lol.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 21 December 2019

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

I binge the entire first season yesterday. I like how Henry Cavill pretty much became Geralt from the game. Voice, attitude, and even when he goes "Mhmm" It's like he is a fan of the witcher games lol.

He is. He played the games multiple times, and once he heard that Netflix was doing a Witcher show, he told his agent to call them every day until he could get in a room with them lol. 

I am quite curious to see how the casual viewer feels about the presentation of season 1, because it definitely doesn't hold your hand about the fact that it's presenting 3 different timelines overlaid on top of one another, and that's on top of all the worldbuilding it's throwing at you if you're not familiar with any of this stuff. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was handled well, but I could definitely see some people getting lost. I saw an interview with a showrunner a while back talking about how she would do this, and that it was a good option because audiences these days are so savvy but....in my experience, most people aren't particularly savvy at all.

Angelus said:
deskpro2k3 said:

He is. He played the games multiple times, and once he heard that Netflix was doing a Witcher show, he told his agent to call them every day until he could get in a room with them lol. 

I am quite curious to see how the casual viewer feels about the presentation of season 1, because it definitely doesn't hold your hand about the fact that it's presenting 3 different timelines overlaid on top of one another, and that's on top of all the worldbuilding it's throwing at you if you're not familiar with any of this stuff. I really enjoyed it, and thought it was handled well, but I could definitely see some people getting lost. I saw an interview with a showrunner a while back talking about how she would do this, and that it was a good option because audiences these days are so savvy but....in my experience, most people aren't particularly savvy at all.

Always aim for the hardcore fan, imo.
I dislike when they try to do their own thing, with a IP or poular character/story.
Hand holding isnt needed, let people like or dislike as they want.

Watched the first half of the season last night. It's more enjoyable than it is flawed. Every episode has a moment or two where I shake my head at some iffy writing or direction, but then I'll find a few more that impress me. Digging how they're taking after the third game musically. Happy with Henry's performance but the casting generally feels mixed. I'd give it a B so far.