Forums - Website Topics - Can't we just get rid of this like/dislike system ?

COKTOE said:

I kindly asked Talon to make it possible to choose the amount of +/- when voting in articles. Sometimes I simply leave comments alone, because I feel +4 or -4 is too much to give. Certainly a low priority, so it never happened. Plus he's gone now.

He's coming back in the new year hopefully :)

Last edited by Machina - on 20 December 2019

Around the Network

The 4x article voting power is the only reason I'm a gold supporter. Just kidding. It's actually made me be more judicious with my votes. I only downvote if it is truly warranted.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Machina said:
I'd sooner look at ways the system can be improved, rather than scrap it altogether. For example, increasing the amount needed for a comment to be hidden. Or removing the anonymity attached to up and downvoting.

The theory behind the increased voting power for people who donate to the site is that said people are more likely to be good, upstanding members of the community who want to improve the site, and so are likely to only downvote posts that are genuinely deserving of it. Not everyone, sure, but the vast majority I'd hope.

I don't think donations have any relation with being a good member if they are getting something back for it, at all.

I understand the premise, helping the comunity is a good act, but not if it's money buying it.

If you are donating time, actual support and helping, sure you are likely to be a good (or at least better than usual) member of a comunity, but all about money is not personal, simply giving money for something doesn't mean anything, even if it is a lot, money help but money doesn't make anyone better.

That's my take on it, and I know you should have incentives to ask for donations, but that's already telling itself, you are selling influence, aka power, for money, so yeah, I really disagree that it have any relation to the personal quality of anyone donating it.

No opinion should be numerically more valuable than another, and if someone wants to donate that's cool, that medal like tag system to show it is already enough.

BraLoD said:

I don't think donations have any relation with being a good member if they are getting something back for it, at all.

Trolls don't spend money on the site. You don't spend money on something you don't care about. So anyone that is a donator cares about the well being of the site.

That doesn't mean a donator is automatically better than someone who doesn't donate. You don't have to donate to be a good user. But the likelihood of a donator being a problematic user is much lower than a non-donator.

LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Machina said:
COKTOE said:

I kindly asked Talon to make it possible to choose the amount of +/- when voting in articles. Sometimes I simply leave comments alone, because I feel +4 or -4 is too much to give. Certainly a low priority, so it never happened. Plus he's gone now.

He's coming back in the new year hopefully :)

Good news. Good good, good good, good-good-good!

Chinese food for breakfast

Around the Network

I have to say that it is a terrible name. Maybe better than Xbox One but that isn't saying much. I have more creative turds than apparently the geniuses in charge at Xbox marketing division. They should hire some better people.

sethnintendo said:

I have to say that it is a terrible name. Maybe better than Xbox One but that isn't saying much. I have more creative turds than apparently the geniuses in charge at Xbox marketing division. They should hire some better people.

I think you're in the wrong neighborhood.

COKTOE said:
sethnintendo said:

Oops well least it's almost related to the thread.  I missed my chance at making fun of name earlier so I had to vent somewhere.

sethnintendo said:
COKTOE said:

Oops well least it's almost related to the thread.  I missed my chance at making fun of name earlier so I had to vent somewhere.

Yeah, true. as for the name...I'm kinda indifferent about it. In a way, it's bold in it's redundancy. But I can see how some would think it's lazy, or even stupid. I cannot think of another electronic device that's used the exact same name as a previous iteration, with an adjective or number to distinguish itself. Doubt it will have any negative impact on the console though.

Machina said:
I'd sooner look at ways the system can be improved, rather than scrap it altogether. For example, increasing the amount needed for a comment to be hidden. Or removing the anonymity attached to up and downvoting.

The theory behind the increased voting power for people who donate to the site is that said people are more likely to be good, upstanding members of the community who want to improve the site, and so are likely to only downvote posts that are genuinely deserving of it. Not everyone, sure, but the vast majority I'd hope.

Lmao this sounds só fucking bad, pay to win in this case pay to upgrade my status lol

This post of yours is bizarre , probably the ONLY One i see from you since years and years.