By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 14 December 2019

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I'm more worried about us hitting 2022 and the greedy bastards still selling the base Switch for $300.

I would welcome that, because it would mean that Switch sold another ~20m in 2021 without breaking a sweat.

That's the thing, I can see Switch sales declining considerably and Nintendo still refusing to cut price, like how Sony are refusing to drop PS4 permanently below $300.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

That's the thing, I can see Switch sales declining considerably and Nintendo still refusing to cut price, like how Sony are refusing to drop PS4 permanently below $300.

I figure that we are in yet another period of time where you aren't happy with the Switch lineup of games. Everytime that happens, you dial up the pessimism all the way.

I am very happy with the lineup we've got at the moment, the second half of this year was great and I still have yet to get around to finishing Witcher 3 and Trine 4, let alone even play Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I am very happy with the lineup we've got at the moment, the second half of this year was great and I still have yet to get around to finishing Witcher 3 and Trine 4, yet alone even play Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

Uh-huh... I've read other posts of yours, curl. You can't deceive me so easily.

I'm not in a good place mentally if that's what you're referring to, and of course I would really like to have a better idea of when future games I'm interested in will come, (and seeing them) but for the moment I cannot complain about Switch's recent release schedule, having purchased 4 games in October alone, only 1 of which I have finished with as yet.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Damn, this is without a notable December game. I'd like to think this isn't the peak year, that it could be next year if Zelda releases, they announce another big gun like 2D Mario or Mario Kart, and finally have a price cut. However with these numbers being so good it makes that harder to imagine.

There will definitely not be another Mario Kart on Switch. There is no reason for them to cut off the game with the best legs when they can focus resources elsewhere and launch next system with mario kart again. Two Mario Karts on one system would be redundant, which is why its never been done and won't be done now. If it had only sold a few million because people were like oh its just a port that would be one thing, but its the best selling game on the system by far, so there is zero reason to break the mold and have two karts on one system.

I definitely don't think this will be the peak year. I imagine next year will be it if they can bring out a couple 10+ million sellers in the Fall plus a price cut. I guess its hard to say they need to cut the price when they are gonna sell 20 million in a year, but with new systems coming out and the system passing 3 years old it makes sense to cut the price to keep it low and competitive compared to new systems. With basically no competition next year I'm guessing they will wait to cut the price until the holiday season, though if sales start to slow in the summer if they don't have much coming out in the summer I could see them throwing the price cut in early to get a mid-year boost.

I'd say price cut, AC in March, BotW and a brand new 2D Mario series in the Fall could drive a 22 million sales year as Switch's peak.

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

I would welcome that, because it would mean that Switch sold another ~20m in 2021 without breaking a sweat.

ha yeah i could totally see nintendo refusing to budge from $300 as they watch sales start going down in 2021. Hopefully they are smarter than that but we'll see. The hardware companies used to actually compete, now they seem to just be on three different trajectories and don't even really bother competing, tho obviously sony and microsoft go more head to head.

I would think they would drop OG Switch price and announce a slightly beefed up new $300 version so they can keep that price point while letting people who want hybrid option and not Lite but have been waiting years for a price cut to finally get in. That way even like two years from now they could still indeed have that $300 price, but have OG Switch at like $230, and have the Lite at like $170.

They really need to get that Nintendo Select or whatever its called, $30 games, going next year. Zelda, Splatoon, MK8, Mario Odyssey, and the Wii U ports, along with smaller games like Arms and whatnot, should all be cut to $30. The only one that maybe doesn't make sense would be Mario Kart since it still has solid legs.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

ha yeah i could totally see nintendo refusing to budge from $300 as they watch sales start going down in 2021. Hopefully they are smarter than that but we'll see. The hardware companies used to actually compete, now they seem to just be on three different trajectories and don't even really bother competing, tho obviously sony and microsoft go more head to head.

I would think they would drop OG Switch price and announce a slightly beefed up new $300 version so they can keep that price point while letting people who want hybrid option and not Lite but have been waiting years for a price cut to finally get in. That way even like two years from now they could still indeed have that $300 price, but have OG Switch at like $230, and have the Lite at like $170.

They really need to get that Nintendo Select or whatever its called, $30 games, going next year. Zelda, Splatoon, MK8, Mario Odyssey, and the Wii U ports, along with smaller games like Arms and whatnot, should all be cut to $30. The only one that maybe doesn't make sense would be Mario Kart since it still has solid legs.

Nintendo isn't going to cut the price of anything next year.  From a business perspective next year is pure gravy.  Switch sales rates are still increasing, and PS4 and XB1 sales are plummeting.  They are going to be competing against no one.  MK8, Zelda, and Smash Bros still have really good legs too at $60 each, and Pokemon is going to join that list.  It's all gravy.

They should probably cut the price in 2021 though.  

Some of you aren't understanding the business strategy of the Lite and why it means the won't be a Price cut next year, the Lite for a start is not just a cheaper sku for portable only players it's a strategy that allows Switch to finally emulate something portables have been able to do viably for decades sell more than one per household. That is the next phase of pushing the platform and now was the right time to move into that phase not only with Pokemon and AC arriving as they're the two series that heavily benefit from that due to their focus on social interaction but also because the platform has free reign of the whole of next year, an actual price cut won't happen until late 2021 if anything maybe not until 2022 as a price cute would be the next phase in strategy and possibly be the final phase before a successor.

Amnesia said:

10 million could happen this quarter. Need only a 1 million average each of the next two weeks for this to happen. I think it will. 

Nintendo doesn't need to cut the price yet for the Switch especially not before the release of two next-gen systems next year. A lot of people forgot Nintendo is capable to make a drastic decision to lower their system price as it was shown during 3ds era while the Wii U situation was kinda beyond salvation point, the system itself wasn't desirable product like past Nintendo system so they just let the system to die rather than wasting their energy to strategize its resurrection's plan and focusing on their next project the "NX".

Next year is like a dream for any insole maker. Ninty has all year to just sell a shit ton of switches.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also