By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Countdown to Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Tagged games:

Except they did do pointless DLC for NSMB2 and FE: Awakening on the 3DS. I also didn't like that the base game for Mario Golf had very few courses because they held them back for DLC. The base Mario Golf on 3DS was a joke. So there are some examples of bad DLC handling in the past.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

I'm with you raptor. I'd like to not really know too much but there are some things I want to know. The main thing I want to know is if they spread the cancer of DLC to AC. Are they willing to shit on one of best series games they have all for a little extra money. I pray to Thor, God, or any mythological beast that they don't shit stain their series with the likes of a company like EA would do to one of their IPs.

Too late for that, amiibo a.k.a. physical dlc already exist in the series, granted it's not as bad as the microtransactions/lootboxes EA uses.

Regardless of whether NH gets DLC or not, the base game will surely be full and complete without DLC. The delay tells me they care about putting out a quality product so I'm confident in saying that.

I don’t see much issue with DLC if any sort. You can either engage with it, or you don’t. Generally I’ve found it improves games tremendously as, rather than buying a whole new special edition version of a game 4-6 years later, you just make a much smaller purchase of DLC content to get the sort of expanded universe version of the game. Generally, I have found it to be a big improvement, and I think it will improve further if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is any indication.

I have also purchased a number of Amiibos, but have not actually used them for their DLC capabilities =P

Mainly, I wanted certain figurines. I am not really sure how they can be considered “DLC” more so than accessories. Particularly when the content they add is a small perk you get with the figurine in certain games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yes I believe they changed tactics on DLC approach. Probably didn't make too much money from FE 3DS DLC. I'm guessing they tried that approach due to struggling during Wii U era. Least they realize consumers prefer decent amount content for a reasonable price.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Mainly, I wanted certain figurines. I am not really sure how they can be considered “DLC” more so than accessories. Particularly when the content they add is a small perk you get with the figurine in certain games.

Instead of wondering you could just ask me directly.

As you even acknowledge, it's content that you buy separately from the game. Main differences are you scan a figure instead of downloading, and that figure can work in various games while typical dlc is tied to one. Otherwise the ingame effects are mostly the same, generally cosmetic.

Nintendo seems to have put a lot less emphasis on amiibo with the Switch so maybe New Horizons will be without them.

super_etecoon said:

Less than two months to go and we still don't know anymore than what was shown at E3. There will surely be a game specific direct me thinks.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Jumpin said:

Instead of wondering you could just ask me directly.

As you even acknowledge, it's content that you buy separately from the game. Main differences are you scan a figure instead of downloading, and that figure can work in various games while typical dlc is tied to one. Otherwise the ingame effects are mostly the same, generally cosmetic.

Nintendo seems to have put a lot less emphasis on amiibo with the Switch so maybe New Horizons will be without them.

I didn't respond to you directly because I didn't want to obligate you to respond to such a silly-pedantic post of mine. Really, I just used it as a bridge to get into my reasoning for why I like the Amiibos.

Lonely_Dolphin said:

Less than two months to go and we still don't know anymore than what was shown at E3. There will surely be a game specific direct me thinks.

Probably for marketing, they'll do one. But Animal Crossing is one of those games with enough name recognition that they really just need a small segment in their next direct to let people know it's coming. Although, it would be interesting to see some of the new features in the game. I'm getting it regardless.

If I had one feature request, co-op towns. This has been sort of a thing since the original game where multiple people could live in the same town, but you could never play at the same time as your townmates. Playing co-op on 3DS was one of my two favourite experiences on the handheld (the other being Mario Kart 7 multiplayer); but you didn't share a town if you went that route.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 26 January 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.