By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that are overrated/underrated for console sales

I don't like any of the Devil May Cry games, because... Well... They just make me cry.

Around the Network
diegomoroco777 said:
Resistance, Motorstorm, etc are not console sellers, neither are games such as WarioWare or Excite Truck. Wii has only 1 system seller, and that´s Wii sports. And Super Paper Mario if you are a really big Mario fan. PS3 games obviously have better reviews than Wii games, most of them were made ground up for PS3 or are ports from very good 360 games, such as Oblivion. Use reviews as a judging point when both consoles start getting games that are made specially for it, which will be probably after August.

Uh, the best reviewed game for either system is Zelda:TP. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

i would say there are two Wii system sellers: Wii Sports and Zelda.

Super Paper Mario doesn't really count if you ask me. And same for Pokemon (Wii), Mario Striker. They are great games, but not system seller.

But there will be three more Wii system seller coming out this year: (big three from nintendo) Mario Galaxy, Smash Bro and Metroid (to a lesser extend).

I don't think there is any system seller on PS3. Motorstorm or Resistance are good games, but just like Paper Mario, they are not system seller (esp consider the price of a PS3)

Now back to the topic, another underrated title is MarioKart? I know of many people buying a nintendo system just (or mainly) because of mariokart

Zelda is not a system seller for Wii because there is a GC version. If there wasn´t a GC version, then it would be the biggest system seller until Halo 3, without a doubt. And yes, Mario Kart is a huge system seller, to be honest, it rivals any other game. Yes, it can be compared with Halo 3, Final Fantasy, Super Smash, Mario, Zelda, Winning Eleven ( Europe and South America), GT. Just look at the series sales. MK64, MK:DD and MK:DS, have sold at least 6 millions. I mean, MK64 sold 10. It´s just scary to think how much it will sell on Wii. The only that is over Mario Kart for sure is GTA. But...I honestly think that GTAIV won´t have near the impact of GTA:SA, because being multiplatform, and for not being accesible to more casual people.

Saying it's not a system seller just because it has a GC version is a weak argument...the fact is the Wii game sells Wiis.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Quantum-Tarantino said:
Wii Sports Wii Play The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wario Ware Smooth Moves Super Paper Mario Rayman Raving Rabbids Red Steel Madden NFL 07 Excite Truck Call of Duty 3 Sonic and the Secret Rings Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 Trauma Center: Second Opinion Elebits Super Swing Golf Cooking Mama: Cook Off The Godfather Eyeshield 21: The Gridirons Strongest

Wii Sports and Wii Play are not good games.
Rayman, Madden, Call of Duty, and Godfather are all multi-platform.

The real good games that the Wii has of now is Zelda, WW:SM, and Paper Mario. You could throw in Sonic, but I didn't like that one much.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Saying it's not a system seller just because it has a GC version is a weak argument...the fact is the Wii game sells Wiis. I´m trying to point that if you really wanted to play Zelda, you didn´t needed a Wii. In the end it did sold Wiis, looking at the sales of both versions, but still it won´t have the same system seller power of Smash, MK, Galaxy and some other potentisl titles. And about Wii Sports, it is a matter of perspective. For a hardcore gamer, it is a fun compilation of mini-sports. For a casual, it´s a very nice game to play for some time and with friends. For non-gamers, it´s the most amazing thing since Nintendogs. Wii Sports, isn´t too complex, nor beautiful, but it is fun, and most important,accesible. It greatly appeals to a market, a pretty huge and unexplored market for gaming. For that market, it is a system seller. That´s probably why attache rates for Wii aren´t as high as other systems.

Quantum-Tarantino said:
Dragon Quest - Under-rated This series is a behemoth, Final Fantasy doesnt even come close, DQ9 is going to pull pokemon numbers in Japan for the DS, and when DQ10 is ANNOUNCED for the Wii, that will be the final nail in the coffin for the PS3/X360 in Japan,

You are right about it not being close...

NameConsolePublisherJapanAmericaOthersTotal
Dragon Quest VIIIEnix3.610.470.604.68
Dragon Quest VIIEnix4.120.210.004.33
Dragon Quest IIIEnix3.770.100.003.87
Dragon Quest VIEnix3.190.000.003.19
Dragon Quest IVEnix3.040.080.003.12
Dragon Quest VEnix2.790.000.002.79
Dragon Quest IIEnix2.410.150.002.56
Dragon Quest MonstersEnix2.350.000.002.35
Dragon QuestEnix1.500.500.002.00
Final Fantasy VIISquare3.933.092.709.72
Final Fantasy XSquare3.022.742.197.95
Final Fantasy VIIISquare3.642.341.887.86
Final Fantasy IXSquare2.801.660.845.30
Final Fantasy X-2Square2.411.820.985.21
Final Fantasy XIISquare2.421.680.844.94
Final Fantasy VISquare2.550.870.003.42
Final Fantasy TacticsSquare1.370.950.132.45
Final Fantasy VSquare2.450.000.002.45

But it looks like you overrated Dragon Quest. If you just look at Japan it's pretty close, but I've compared those before and FF comes out on top there, on average anyway. Nice try, but there will be no nail in coffin for 360/PS3.  DQ10 could easily be on those 2 anyway, although I think the graphics may match the Wii better.

No, FF does NOT come out on top, and never has. DQ is THE premier series in Japan, Final Fantasy is a time waster, waiting for the next DQ game. Look at the drect comparisons 3.77m for an NES game, the ONLY FF that outpaced DQ3, is FF7, and barely at that.

DQ10 COULD be on any of the next gen consoles, but WONT be. It will be on Wii, and it will outsell FF13 2 to 1 in Japan

And next time you want to look non Biased, Dont leave the low sellers off your chart, Like FF 3 and 4, and 1 and 2 when available.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

windbane said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:
Dragon Quest - Under-rated This series is a behemoth, Final Fantasy doesnt even come close, DQ9 is going to pull pokemon numbers in Japan for the DS, and when DQ10 is ANNOUNCED for the Wii, that will be the final nail in the coffin for the PS3/X360 in Japan,

You are right about it not being close...

Dragon Quest VIIIEnix3.610.470.604.68
Dragon Quest VIIEnix4.120.210.004.33
Dragon Quest IIIEnix3.770.100.003.87
Dragon Quest VIEnix3.190.000.003.19
Dragon Quest IVEnix3.040.080.003.12
Dragon Quest VEnix2.790.000.002.79
Dragon Quest IIEnix2.410.150.002.56
Dragon Quest MonstersEnix2.350.000.002.35
Dragon QuestEnix1.500.500.002.00
Final Fantasy VIISquare3.933.092.709.72
Final Fantasy XSquare3.022.742.197.95
Final Fantasy VIIISquare3.642.341.887.86
Final Fantasy IXSquare2.801.660.845.30
Final Fantasy X-2Square2.411.820.985.21
Final Fantasy XIISquare2.421.680.844.94
Final Fantasy VISquare2.550.870.003.42
Final Fantasy TacticsSquare1.370.950.132.45
Final Fantasy VSquare2.450.000.002.45

But it looks like you overrated Dragon Quest. If you just look at Japan it's pretty close, but I've compared those before and FF comes out on top there, on average anyway. Nice try, but there will be no nail in coffin for 360/PS3. DQ10 could easily be on those 2 anyway, although I think the graphics may match the Wii better.

That was his point, though. Japan. In Japan, Dragon Quest is as important as Final Fantasy. They're so close to being equal, it's amazing. So what he's saying is that it's underrated because while it may have little to no effect on our land, it has an enormous impact on Japan. Effectively, whoever gets an exclusive for DQ X in Japan is getting the equivalent of FF XIII. That's how big a deal it would be in Japan.

Edit: Oh, QT is right. Dragon quest beats Final Fantasy, generation to generation. Each DQ game is at least 500,000 copies sold over its generational competitor. Windbane, the point is that DQ is underrated precisely BECAUSE it isn't a big deal here in the states. In Japan, Dragon Quest can play an important part in what console wins, and winning Japan is a big deal. It's very much like saying Grand Theft Auto doesn't matter, because GTA isn't a big deal in Japan. Seriously, I bet there are lots of people in Japan who have no idea how decisive a game it is to a lot of people here.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">