By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 23 November 2019

curl-6 said:
MasonADC said:

Having more power isn’t exactly the important part. Just having a new system that is better than the last is the important part. Power also isn’t the only important part that could factor in to it. Nintendo will have a new system like this eventually, probably next year. Lite won’t be the last of the switch family 

If newness is the important part, no need to even bother with a substantial power upgrade. I agree they'll be more Switch models, but one targeting power would be pointless.

That’s why I don’t think it is targeting power, hence why I put pro in quotations. I think there will be a power increase, but I wouldn’t say it is “targeting” power

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
MasonADC said:

Having more power isn’t exactly the important part. Just having a new system that is better than the last is the important part. Power also isn’t the only important part that could factor in to it. Nintendo will have a new system like this eventually, probably next year. Lite won’t be the last of the switch family 

Next year is too early for a hardware refresh along the lines of a DSi or New 3DS. A price cut is more sensible for 2020, if it is even needed in the first place, given what the targeted price range of the PS5 and Scarlett is.

3 and a half years is to early? How does that line up with other systems refreshes? 

MasonADC said:
curl-6 said:

If newness is the important part, no need to even bother with a substantial power upgrade. I agree they'll be more Switch models, but one targeting power would be pointless.

That’s why I don’t think it is targeting power, hence why I put pro in quotations. I think there will be a power increase, but I wouldn’t say it is “targeting” power

Ah, see i was referring to a Pro along the lines of PS4 Pro, a substantial power upgrade aimed at appealing to the "moar powah" folks. I don't think they should make a revision of the Switch along those lines.

Just 1 million left between Switch and Xbone total sales. The time is nigh.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

PS4 is $199 with 3 games bundled

For a price conscious customer this may be a better deal (especially when you consider GamePass).  We won't know until next week.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Xbox-One-S-1TB-All-Digital-Edition-3-Game-Bundle-Disc-free-Gaming-White-NJP-00050/339940120?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227311511600&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=391918192534&wl4=pla-831050434440&wl5=9013289&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=339940120&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-JYUASa7fnFFJ9FSnQnA-Da1hYNTJzWaw21GGhNl8zEru00-MAkU2caAmTWEALw_wcB

Sure it's a better deal but XBO has had better deals for 5 years and it hasnt stopped PS4 from consistently selling better.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

For a price conscious customer this may be a better deal (especially when you consider GamePass).  We won't know until next week.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Microsoft-Xbox-One-S-1TB-All-Digital-Edition-3-Game-Bundle-Disc-free-Gaming-White-NJP-00050/339940120?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227311511600&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=391918192534&wl4=pla-831050434440&wl5=9013289&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=339940120&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-JYUASa7fnFFJ9FSnQnA-Da1hYNTJzWaw21GGhNl8zEru00-MAkU2caAmTWEALw_wcB

Sure it's a better deal but XBO has had better deals for 5 years and it hasnt stopped PS4 from consistently selling better.

Actually I seem to recall XB1 being competitive with PS4 in the US during November.  I think XB1 even came in first once.*  November is normally when XB1 does its best.

EDIT: I looked this up.  November 2017 XB1 placed first in revenue, but not units.  This still illustrates that XB1 is very competitive during November (and Black Friday) in the US.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 28 November 2019

Should be a great BF for all Consoles, Xbox is almost free in Europe right now until December 2nd.

curl-6 said:
Amnesia said:

The Switch could reach this (Wii + DS) next year if there is a Switch Pro.

I really don't think so; those demanding a Pro are vocal internet minority. The average consumer is fine with Switch's current power level.

What would be the point anyway? A Switch Pro released in 2020 would still be weaker than PS4 and still a generation behind PS5/Scarlett.

Agreed. 2020 is also a tad early....a lot of people are investing on the Switch now and the regular model remains a pricy investment (mine with a game and carrying case cost me about 400 dollars) consumers wouldn't be too happy to see their investment replaced that quickly.

As you stated the matter of power is an issue...how much power can they fit in the device while maintaining the same price point even if they can somehow squeeze PS4 like specs into the machine...it would still be a meager upgrade by comparison in relation to the next wave of consoles.

I say late 21/early 22 before we see something on that front. It won't be as powerful ...or nearly as powerful as a PS5 but perhaps they can deliver something along or a bit further along than the base PS4 and thus justify the update.

curl-6 said:
Amnesia said:

The Switch could reach this (Wii + DS) next year if there is a Switch Pro.

I really don't think so; those demanding a Pro are vocal internet minority. The average consumer is fine with Switch's current power level.

What would be the point anyway? A Switch Pro released in 2020 would still be weaker than PS4 and still a generation behind PS5/Scarlett.

To add on this, one of the biggest gripes people had with the Switch at launch was it's short battery life, a problem that would come up for sure again with a more powerful "pro" model.

That being said, I do expect a more powerful version of the Switch to come out some day, just probably not next year already (I think in 2021, since the NVidia Shield seems to get upgraded every 2 years). And NVidia could also make use of that Chip: Both the original X1 as well as the newly upgraded version (Mariko) are being used in their Shield TV devices. So getting a more modern and powerful Tegra chip for both devices would be a win for both companies.

As to what I would expect from the device would be roughly about twice the performance and twice the RAM, thus more or less equalizing the XBO in performance. However, like the Pro and the X, that model would be more expensive and thus only have a limited impact on sales, nothing like Wii+DS taken together...

Big numbers Switch and not to shabby PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."