By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: " I have Issues with VR, VR is non communal, non social " , Focus of Project Scarlett Because Our Customers Aren't Asking for It , Update : Phil Spencer : " Half Life Alix is amazing "

Tagged games:

What do you think

I disagree with Phil 20 35.09%

I agree with Phil 21 36.84%

I love VR so i am stayed with PS5 or PC 14 24.56%

I love VR but II love Xbo... 0 0%

Cloud gaming is the future not VR 2 3.51%

Total:57
Fei-Hung said:
My experience from my VR has been it gets people together including parents and children, gamers and non gamers.

My issue has been setting up everytime I want to play due to the hdr pass through and the number of cables. If they can resolve this with the next VR, I'll invest more into it.

They are simply not investing into it since they splashed out buying studios and won't see a return until the games are released and do well... That along with not having sold enough xbox units.

There is nothing wrong if they don't focus first on their first party and then move into VR once they have established their core base, but there is no need for lame excuses.

The lack of passthrough was a real issue for me as well (a revision solved the problem), but right now my biggest problem is a 1y old daughter that likes to touch and pull all she can reach, so I had to store the VR for the moment.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DeusXmachina said:
Perfect! I would really hate it if any MS studio wasted their time making VR games.

^ this is basically Mario oddessey level....... VR can be good, if you have tallented developers.

"We’re responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody’s asking for VR,” Spencer said.

......well nobody asked for Kinect and for it to be bundled with Xbox One at launch but you did anyways. Did anybody really ask for Xbox One X or did MS just wanted to do that to claim the title of the most powerful console? The flaw with his comment is that Sony and Nintendo (while continuing with the core games) also try new things too because as a company you might want to expand and try give gamers other experience that could also be fun, whether its something small like Nintendo Labo or PSVR. But then again it seems MS can't even get 'core gaming' right to begin with so of course Phil would say something like that.

“I have some issues with VR — it’s isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience."

.....What makes VR isolating? Is it because a single gamer is stuck to his own screen? Because then majority of PC gaming and handheld consoles are isolating as well but they're killing it so he's talking BS here. I haven't played a lot of VR but im sure there are some fun online VR games you can play with others.

Please stop talking Phil. I'm trying really hard to be understanding and open for your next Xbox but you're making it difficult.

HollyGamer said:

"We’re responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody’s asking for VR,” Spencer said.

“The vast majority of our customers know if they want a VR experience, there’s places to go get those.

We see the volumes of those on PC and other places.”

Spencer admitted that some of the decision was based on cold hard cash, as “nobody’s selling millions and millions” of VR units for now.

But If Sony and other company success they will follow.

Doesnt Sony have like 5million+ units sold to consumers?
is 5million units "nobody asking for VR" ?

Next gen, VR will be much improved, and maybe cheaper too.
Developers will have experiance with developement in VR, and thus makeing better games for it.

"Dont like it? we have a product for you, its called a Xb360."

This is just like that Always online quote, for start of xbox one gen.

Just go play on PC or PS5, if you care about VR.

Right.... thats gonna work out fantastic phil.

This jive turkey keeps on suckin' on that horn. Communal? This turkey doesn't know that VR can be played with multiplayer in mind. Well Firewall just called and said hold my malt liquor.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:

......well nobody asked for Kinect and for it to be bundled with Xbox One at launch but you did anyways. Did anybody really ask for Xbox One X or did MS just wanted to do that to claim the title of the most powerful console? The flaw with his comment is that Sony and Nintendo (while continuing with the core games) also try new things too because as a company you might want to expand and try give gamers other experience that could also be fun, whether its something small like Nintendo Labo or PSVR. But then again it seems MS can't even get 'core gaming' right to begin with so of course Phil would say something like that.

“I have some issues with VR — it’s isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience."

.....What makes VR isolating? Is it because a single gamer is stuck to his own screen? Because then majority of PC gaming and handheld consoles are isolating as well but they're killing it so he's talking BS here. I haven't played a lot of VR but im sure there are some fun online VR games you can play with others.

Please stop talking Phil. I'm trying really hard to be understanding and open for your next Xbox but you're making it difficult.

There are even party games for VR. There is one game of cat and mice that the PSVR user is the cat and the other people in the room play as cat and basically you have to find them and they have to run, this 2 screen separation is perfect for it. There is also other party games where you don't see enemies and people looking at the screen need to describe for you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
This thread is surreal. All major VR manufacturers had launched their headsets by the end of 2016, so we have already three years worth of sales for VR and the only reasonable conclusion that one can make is that VR is not worth pursuing, because the sales of all headsets combined are considerably lower than the sales pace of the Wii U and that's with steep discounts for VR headsets while the Wii U only got a single $50 cut throughout its life. With the Wii U, people had no problem to recognize it as a failure after three years, but when it comes to VR, people still don't get it and continue to talk about it as if it had importance.

Your thinking about "money", instead of if its a good experiance for consumers.
Im not sure your correct, that there cant be money made off of VR either btw.

Also even if thats true, sometimes as a platform holder, its okay to take a loss to do something awesome for your community.

Yes PSVR only sold abit over 5mil, in 3years time.
However as a "late launch, into the PS4 cycle", and as a "first time VR" (in-experianced developers (w/ vr), and first time device....

Theres huge improvements to be had.
Whos to say that if next gen, PSVR2 is both better, cheaper, and avaliable right at the start of the gen, it doesnt end up doing like 15m+ units?

Also now that devs, have had time to try and develope games for VR, the overall quality in VR experiances might rise alot as a result?

Phil spencer is thinking Short term, theres no profit.
Phil spencer is thinking Long term, he wants no physical hardware, everyone streaming from XCloud, so VR doesnt make sense for them.

^ this is why it wont happend.

But its a big check box feature, that xbox will be missing in the future then.

RolStoppable said:
This thread is surreal. All major VR manufacturers had launched their headsets by the end of 2016, so we have already three years worth of sales for VR and the only reasonable conclusion that one can make is that VR is not worth pursuing, because the sales of all headsets combined are considerably lower than the sales pace of the Wii U and that's with steep discounts for VR headsets while the Wii U only got a single $50 cut throughout its life. With the Wii U, people had no problem to recognize it as a failure after three years, but when it comes to VR, people still don't get it and continue to talk about it as if it had importance.

I have issue with VR too. Seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Your thinking about "money", instead of if its a good experiance for consumers.
Im not sure your correct, that there cant be money made off of VR either btw.

Also even if thats true, sometimes as a platform holder, its okay to take a loss to do something awesome for your community.

Yes PSVR only sold abit over 5mil, in 3years time.
However as a "late launch, into the PS4 cycle", and as a "first time VR" (in-experianced developers (w/ vr), and first time device....

Theres huge improvements to be had.
Whos to say that if next gen, PSVR2 is both better, cheaper, and avaliable right at the start of the gen, it doesnt end up doing like 15m+ units?

Also now that devs, have had time to try and develope games for VR, the overall quality in VR experiances might rise alot as a result?

Phil spencer is thinking Short term, theres no profit.
Phil spencer is thinking Long term, he wants no physical hardware, everyone streaming from XCloud, so VR doesnt make sense for them.

^ this is why it wont happend.

But its a big check box feature, that xbox will be missing in the future then.

With today's size of the market, each one of the three console manufacturers is aiming to sell 100m+ consoles whenever they launch a new console. Even in the context of "what's good for the consumer", it's much more sensible to put your efforts towards 100m people instead of 15m.

Ultimately, it's a very similar decision to how much Microsoft should invest in improving their fortunes in the Japanese market. Should they have Japanese first party studios to create Japanese-style games or would the money be better spent on America and Europe? Realistically, there's more potential growth to be had in America and Europe. Funnily enough, Sony is making the exact same decision in relation to America/Europe and Japan.

VR is not a big feature. Something like Gamepass where Sony lags behind can make more of a difference for console sales than VR could ever dream of.

Supposedly theres ~8m or so gamepass subscriptions.
Now slightly more than 5m+ VR users, is less than gamepass subs.

But I'd argue that VR allows you experiances you cant get any other way.
While gamepass is just, a hardcore gamer saveing a few bucks.

Yes VR is as big a feature, as gamepass is.