By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: " I have Issues with VR, VR is non communal, non social " , Focus of Project Scarlett Because Our Customers Aren't Asking for It , Update : Phil Spencer : " Half Life Alix is amazing "

Tagged games:

What do you think

I disagree with Phil 20 35.09%

I agree with Phil 21 36.84%

I love VR so i am stayed with PS5 or PC 14 24.56%

I love VR but II love Xbo... 0 0%

Cloud gaming is the future not VR 2 3.51%

Total:57
RolStoppable said:
HollyGamer said:

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. The most logical thing to infer at first glance is that you agree with me that the OP is nonsense, but the catch is that you are the thread creator.

i give you the simple answer because your reply is not even correct, based on data and fact i have included in the OP already shows how VR have sold million despite its price, and it's natural characteristic. VR is just like Amiibo or Labo for Playstation.  The videos just barely destroy all of your argument . And then you compared with Wii  U which is full fledged gaming device. If you don't understand the video then , probably you need an intellectual upgrade. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

With today's size of the market, each one of the three console manufacturers is aiming to sell 100m+ consoles whenever they launch a new console. Even in the context of "what's good for the consumer", it's much more sensible to put your efforts towards 100m people instead of 15m.

Ultimately, it's a very similar decision to how much Microsoft should invest in improving their fortunes in the Japanese market. Should they have Japanese first party studios to create Japanese-style games or would the money be better spent on America and Europe? Realistically, there's more potential growth to be had in America and Europe. Funnily enough, Sony is making the exact same decision in relation to America/Europe and Japan.

VR is not a big feature. Something like Gamepass where Sony lags behind can make more of a difference for console sales than VR could ever dream of.

The problem is , Sony already has 100 million people as warranty in their business. 100 million will sure buy PS5, and another 100 million for PS6 and PS7 for all eternity.  VR is there to add bonus for Playstation fans.  

JRPGfan said:
RolStoppable said:

With today's size of the market, each one of the three console manufacturers is aiming to sell 100m+ consoles whenever they launch a new console. Even in the context of "what's good for the consumer", it's much more sensible to put your efforts towards 100m people instead of 15m.

Ultimately, it's a very similar decision to how much Microsoft should invest in improving their fortunes in the Japanese market. Should they have Japanese first party studios to create Japanese-style games or would the money be better spent on America and Europe? Realistically, there's more potential growth to be had in America and Europe. Funnily enough, Sony is making the exact same decision in relation to America/Europe and Japan.

VR is not a big feature. Something like Gamepass where Sony lags behind can make more of a difference for console sales than VR could ever dream of.

Supposedly theres ~8m or so gamepass subscriptions.
Now slightly more than 5m+ VR users, is less than gamepass subs.

But I'd argue that VR allows you experiances you cant get any other way.
While gamepass is just, a hardcore gamer saveing a few bucks.

Yes VR is as big a feature, as gamepass is.

Game pass is not even making a big profit, Microsoft is making a cheap way to attract gamer based on quantity. Just try to count the lost on how many games they are losing by giving a free games instead selling based on individual copy. 

RolStoppable said:
This thread is surreal. All major VR manufacturers had launched their headsets by the end of 2016, so we have already three years worth of sales for VR and the only reasonable conclusion that one can make is that VR is not worth pursuing, because the sales of all headsets combined are considerably lower than the sales pace of the Wii U and that's with steep discounts for VR headsets while the Wii U only got a single $50 cut throughout its life. With the Wii U, people had no problem to recognize it as a failure after three years, but when it comes to VR, people still don't get it and continue to talk about it as if it had importance.

It is individuals like you who don't get. I doubt an explanation why referrencing other products and technologies to make a valid forecast and judgement is preposterous won't make much of difference.

https://amp.scmp.com/tech/gear/article/3015591/chinas-virtual-reality-market-set-expand-driven-increased-policy-support

Hunting Season is done...

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Supposedly theres ~8m or so gamepass subscriptions.
Now slightly more than 5m+ VR users, is less than gamepass subs.

But I'd argue that VR allows you experiances you cant get any other way.
While gamepass is just, a hardcore gamer saveing a few bucks.

Yes VR is as big a feature, as gamepass is.

If Game Pass is just about saving money, well... that's a pretty big deal already.

HollyGamer said:

i give you the simple answer because your reply is not even correct, based on data and fact i have included in the OP already shows how VR have sold million despite its price, and it's natural characteristic. VR is just like Amiibo or Labo for Playstation.  The videos just barely destroy all of your argument . And then you compared with Wii  U which is full fledged gaming device. If you don't understand the video then , probably you need an intellectual upgrade. 

That's some incoherent rambling you have there. You call VR the Labo of PlayStation, but consider it a success at the same time? Yeah... I probably really need an intellectual upgrade.

The problem It's indeed success , and indeed coherent . That's what matter is and your entire argument is none existent 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Zoombael said:

It is individuals like you who don't get. I doubt an explanation why referrencing other products and technologies to make a valid forecast and judgement is preposterous won't make much of difference.

https://amp.scmp.com/tech/gear/article/3015591/chinas-virtual-reality-market-set-expand-driven-increased-policy-support

I admit, I laughed. Linking an article about China, a country with a tiny console market, is an excellent way to conclude a sarcastic joke post.

a tiny Market where even on it's tiny  scale  it's more than entire Japan. I also wonder why Nintendo and Microsoft try to penetrate China . Probably because it's a tiny market. 

RolStoppable said:
HollyGamer said:

a tiny Market where even on it's tiny  scale  it's more than entire Japan. I also wonder why Nintendo and Microsoft try to penetrate China . Probably because it's a tiny market. 

Estimates put yearly console sales in China at ~500k, so less than 10% of Japan.

This thread is a gift that keeps on giving.

did you read the article https://www.scmp.com/tech/gear/article/3015591/chinas-virtual-reality-market-set-expand-driven-increased-policy-support

I bet Nintendo and Microsoft are stupid to even try to penetrate China. 

RolStoppable said:
Zoombael said:

I admit, I laughed. Linking an article about China, a country with a tiny console market, is an excellent way to conclude a sarcastic joke post.

Laughed about what? How ridiculous it is to believe you can predict the future of a whole technology by pointing to a failed product by one company? Go easy on the almdudler, boy. Maybe then you'll be able to think straight and won't desperately supposedly irrationally joke posting.

Hunting Season is done...

RolStoppable said:
HollyGamer said:

did you read the article https://www.scmp.com/tech/gear/article/3015591/chinas-virtual-reality-market-set-expand-driven-increased-policy-support

I bet Nintendo and Microsoft are stupid to even try to penetrate China. 

It's an article about VR in general which is a very different thing than VR for consoles. China doesn't make a good case for any console manufacturer to pursue VR which is why bringing up such an article is so funny.

It's so funny because your first argument is profit. Because even China has a tiny consoles market it's still profitable. And the prove Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft trying to push consoles in China and Sony with consoles and VR on China. Speak by it self. And then your argument comparing with Wii U is even more funnier. 

RolStoppable said:
HollyGamer said:

It's so funny because your first argument is profit. Because even China has a tiny consoles market it's still profitable. And the prove Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft trying to push consoles in China and Sony with consoles and VR on China. Speak by it self. And then your argument comparing with Wii U is even more funnier. 

You are mixing a lot of things together that don't belong together. Nintendo launching Switch in China has nothing to do with the profitability of VR. Neither has the Xbox One anything to do with it.

The history of the competition between Sony and Microsoft has been that they try to match each other in the things they offer, provided something is deemed successful enough to necessitate matching. Be it certain game types, online services, overarching achievement systems or third party support.

VR was supposed to be such a thing, hence why in the past Microsoft talked about their VR solution for the Xbox One. But then it turned out that VR sales are anemic and since VR isn't exactly cheap to provide, Microsoft decided that Scarlett doesn't need it. The demand for VR doesn't justify its costs.

Then why are mixing Wii U and PSVr in your argument. and then game pass with PSVR??? Is not even the same. 

Edit : VR is not cheap for PC but it cheap for consoles, hell even Microsoft provide support for Hollo lens and they are supporting for Windows Mixed reality and then there is another patent for VR from Microsoft.