By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: " I have Issues with VR, VR is non communal, non social " , Focus of Project Scarlett Because Our Customers Aren't Asking for It , Update : Phil Spencer : " Half Life Alix is amazing "

Tagged games:

What do you think

I disagree with Phil 20 35.09%

I agree with Phil 21 36.84%

I love VR so i am stayed with PS5 or PC 14 24.56%

I love VR but II love Xbo... 0 0%

Cloud gaming is the future not VR 2 3.51%

Total:57
LudicrousSpeed said:
HollyGamer said:

OK this my mistake, Sony is not the inventor but they the one who first brought CLoud gaming  to become mainstream see the potential to gaming mainstream 

I remember when PS now announced a lot of people against this while Sony never said it will be their main focus at that time until now, unlike today where Xcloud become their main focus and it's like everybody just found a messiah. 

PS Now is mainstream? Nah.

Also, xcloud isn't Microsoft's main focus. Also strange how when multiple focuses benefits Sony you can see it but Microsoft either has to be all in on VR or nothing, there aren't layers of focus when Xbox is involved.

As long as PS Now lead the market on streaming , why not?  

Around the Network

Goodness, it looks like some people are all aboard the "an analyst said so" train. Makes sense, I guess, since we all know how infallible they are. If you're going to make constant appeals to authority, might as well be to a gaming analyst.   

Interesting timing for me, too, as I was just reading up a bit on smartphone history, such as how the first smartphone was a complete failure and all the tech analysts who said that the iPhone was doomed.  It seems many analysts believed that the public didn't want to step away from familiar technology and try something new--and they were right, too.  At least, until they were wrong, and then they were very wrong.

I really like this quote from Marketwatch.com (via bgr)

"What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it’s smart it will call the iPhone a ‘reference design’ and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else’s marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures."

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

Goodness, it looks like some people are all aboard the "an analyst said so" train. Makes sense, I guess, since we all know how infallible they are. If you're going to make constant appeals to authority, might as well be to a gaming analyst.   

Interesting timing for me, too, as I was just reading up a bit on smartphone history, such as how the first smartphone was a complete failure and all the tech analysts who said that the iPhone was doomed.  It seems many analysts believed that the public didn't want to step away from familiar technology and try something new--and they were right, too.  At least, until they were wrong, and then they were very wrong.

I really like this quote from Marketwatch.com (via bgr)

"What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it’s smart it will call the iPhone a ‘reference design’ and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else’s marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures."

Should your post be taken as a prediction that Scarlett's lack of VR focus will hurt the sales of the console?

They lost a sale from me anyway. They already did since WMR headsets never came to XBox while the only games I was interested in came to PC. Phil saves me lots of money. Great guy.

LudicrousSpeed said:
RolStoppable said:

Yup, and Nintendo is saying the same thing. Lack of VR support is really, really detrimental for console sales.

It's so funny that Piscatella, who has all the sales of VR headsets in the USA in front of him, can tweet about how insignificant VR is, yet no major VR plans for Scarlett are treated as if Microsoft is making a mistake.

You underestimate the strength of the VR userbase.

Supposedly like 5m+ PSVR, and 10m+ on the PC side of things....
Not fantastic numbers, but its early in the VR days, and I believe theres growth in the space.

Also apparently even though theres not many of them out there, their owners are usually big spenders (on games).
People here seem to completely dis-reguard VR.

So you can make a joke of me thinking too highly of it, but the same can be said for people that just strait up ignore it.
Theres still money to be made on the VR side of things.

Exactly, not fantastic numbers. And yeah theyll get better. But it’s not worth them investing in right now.

Around the Network

Can't have customers asking for it if there are no customers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JRPGfan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

You underestimate the strength of the VR userbase.

Supposedly like 5m+ PSVR, and 10m+ on the PC side of things....
Not fantastic numbers, but its early in the VR days, and I believe theres growth in the space.

Also apparently even though theres not many of them out there, their owners are usually big spenders (on games).
People here seem to completely dis-reguard VR.

So you can make a joke of me thinking too highly of it, but the same can be said for people that just strait up ignore it.
Theres still money to be made on the VR side of things.

People who ignore it have no interest in it. Why shouldn't they ignore it? Any investment in VR with devs working on it means less people working on projects they care about.

Yes, it is great for everyone not interested in VR if MS doesn't have a focus on it.

It is pretty simple to be honest.

And not having a focus on it doesn't automatically mean that MS doesn't have an eye in it

I don't personally care about VR but there is a market for it (albeit a pretty small one as of right now). MS should just put support for 3rd party headsets on Xbox, that way for the few that want it, it's there without any real investment by MS themselves.

RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Because the only market is USA and also because CEO base their decisions on Piscatella forecasts? We have some "analysts" quite famous on VGC that have all the data not only in USA but worldwide who make some very bad analysis and forecasts.

The USA has the biggest spending per consumer on video games, so if something isn't catching on in the US, it is most likely not catching on elsewhere either, especially in the case of expensive peripherals. Are you seriously likening Piscatella to ordinary forum goers who have no access to sales data of official sales trackers whatsoever?

No I'm not talking about forum goers. I was talking of the likes of professional analysts that are always wrong like Patcher.

About USA being the biggest spender, it still isn't the sole market nor is all markets equal to USA but smaller. Plenty of stuff makes success let's say in Japan but not USA.

JRPGfan said:

If you look at them all together... the real headsets.... in 2017 there was ~4mil units sold, in 2018 it was around 4,8m units, and in 2019 it was around ~6m units. According to statista.

Also Nintendo Switch does have some Labo VR headsets.... though I have no idea how many those sold.

Yes in the overall scheme of things, its currently "insignificant" compaired to console sales... however its clearly a growing market.
Things might not stay that way forever.

And again, this all leads back to (your) the arugement = theres not much money in it, so why bother.

To which I reply:  Not everything for a platform holder has to make money, if it just draws in users.

I am looking at those Statista numbers. Their 2018 figures are estimates and their 2019 figures are estimates based on their estimates for 2018. VR numbers have been scarce for a while, including HTC's refusal to disclose their own sales. When sales numbers don't get disclosed anymore, it's a sign that something is performing below expectations. An obvious console-related example of this is Microsoft's refusal to disclose shipment numbers for the Xbox One.

Growth in the VR market is small, if it's even there at all. Plus it's spurred by steep discounts, such as Sony's $199 deal last holiday season. That's not a sign for a healthy market and it obviously means that there's not much money to be made when units have to be moved at such cheap prices.

Your response to the lack of profitability doesn't hold merit. Sony has sold 4m+ headsets in three years, so even the hypothetical best case scenario for drawing in users is capped at those same 4m+. But of course the actual number of people who bought a PS4 because of VR is much, much smaller than that because most headsets were sold to people who already had a PS4.

If you put it all together and look at the prospect of drawing in maybe one million additional users when that requires a lot of R&D for a headset, costs for game development to provide VR users with something to play and costs for marketing to get the word out, it should be easy to see why investing that time and money into something other than VR provides a much bigger chance for a good payoff for Xbox.

I'll give you an example of something Microsoft should invest in instead of VR: Marketing deals for third party games. Sony got to make deals for almost every major third party game in the past several years and since third party games are the big hardware movers for both PS and Xbox, that's a big deal. Microsoft's goal should be to get Xbox back to where it was with the 360, be the console of choice for multiplats. That is something that will draw in users and not just a million or two.

About the only reason one can name why Xbox should have its own VR headset is because Sony is doing VR. But that's based on the premise that PS is the gold standard and everything they do is good and a success.

So since the lack of reveal of numbers show it is doing bad (instead of lagging behind competition for example) then X1 is doing bad and MS shouldn't invest in the next gen right?

Cutting an item from 300 to 200 on holiday shows the item is doing bad? Then PS4 was doing very bad the last couple years right?

You are really grasping at straws.

PSVR is at least profitable for Sony and have been from start and have been outdoing their forecast so far and we have had plenty of threads on the reports of Sony saying so.

padib said:
RolStoppable said:

The biggest difference between the Wii U and VR headsets is that Nintendo was only about the games while the manufacturers of VR headsets are banking on VR to become a big deal outside of gaming, so they continue to invest based on those hopes.

The untapped potential of VR for gaming will remain untapped for the most part because VR sales are keeping VR in the death spiral; VR isn't going to take off without signature games, but nobody is going to make such games because the sales of the headsets are so low. Valve is the first company where you can say that they are going all-in with a VR game (because they are making their own VR headset), so maybe that can then be counted as the final nail in the "VR is going to be a big deal eventually" coffin, because...

...the explanations for why people don't like VR that are thrown around usually concern either cost or the technology not being good enough yet, but what's commonly dismissed is that people at large might not like VR, period.

I think it is being discussed, aren't we doing it right here?

I personally have not bought a single VR device so I have no preference, but I think it's too soon to say that current low sales means that the technology is not viable. We still have to see if, given VR being more affordable and with a good number of games making use of it, backed by one or a few big IP makers, how it will be received over the course of time. Here, a pitch to you. Metroid Prime VR, how insanely sick would that be?

Some things to consider:

- The adoption of a technology by the overall population does not necessarily mean that it was the better pick.

- The way that a technology is showcased by the different industry players can positively or negatively affect the reception of a given technology. The technology may fail because no one was able to realize how to make it work. It may be brought back to life in the future.

Remember when people called motion controls a gimmick because the Wii's hardware wasn't flawless, bashing Nintendo for creating useless controls that were not even usable (the definition of a gimmick). But the technology was too young and then Nintendo came out with the Wiimotion+. It was still not flawless because the experience wasn't always seamless and sometimes broke the 4th wall.

VR, motion controls, all these innovations are still too young. As people become more connected to their technology, it's very possible that people will want to be more immersed, be it via more organic controls, or a more immersive perspective, so long as these don't violate the 4th wall. Even if the current implementations are awkward, too expensive or just generally don't hit the right spot, it doesn't mean that they're forever doomed.

Personally, I was a big fan of the motion controls in Skyward Sword and wished for the next Zelda to make use of motion controls. But because the motion controls weren't perfect and caused a 4-th wall breakage, and because it just wasn't a well-received Zelda game (as compared to TP, OoT and botW), they abandoned them. But let's explore an alternate history for fun. Breath of the wild was released instead of Skyward Sword, highly popular due to its game design, but this time with flawless motion controls. It's a success. Nintendo decides to invest more R&D into big, serious new game experiences that integrate motion controls. It's a different world of gaming.

And even if one day VR dies, it doesn't mean that it was intrinsically bad, much like today motion controls are dormant but it didn't necessarily have to be that way.

In the end, these are waves, fashions and trends. Some technologies might just not be arriving at the right time, or just need more time to mature.

I think that people have a gripe with Microsoft going the safe way here instead of joining Sony in pushing unproven technologies of the future. But Microsoft is absolutely entitled to its decision and you know just as well as me, they as a company suffer from cyber-bullying. They will always be portrayed as the idiots of the industry because that's the nature of the fanbases. Sony has done a magical job at charming its customers, and Microsoft has an old unshakable reputation at being a monopolistic business. Unfortunately, none of this can be helped. The same people who today are bullying microsoft for things like this were the ones who judged Nintendo's motion controls as gimmicks. People just need to mature and let go of petty judgements and the world will be a better place, because very little of this is logical, most of it is emotional and attachment.

Nope, what I have seem is basically 2 types of comments against this decision. 1st is people that like VR saying that if they aren't going to have VR them they won't be interested since Sony already confirmed PSVR on PS5. 2nd is people saying they are wrong on the excuses of customers not asking for it (there is plenty of stuff customers requested and they didn't for a long time and plenty of stuff customers didn't ask and they did any way) mainly the VR not being communal.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 29 November 2019

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:
Exactly, not fantastic numbers. And yeah theyll get better. But it’s not worth them investing in right now.

The problem is by the time they invest it in, the entire market will have 2-3 gens more experiance than MS at it.
When they do enter, their version will probably be more flawed, not funktion as well, and games for it, from them wont be as advanced ect.

If you only jump in, when something suddenly appears to be a gigantic behemonth, your usually not the only one.
And by then, the guys that "helped" it get where it is, are usually the leaders of the pack, both in terms of experiance but also in brand awareness ect.

If say next gen again (not scarlet but what comes after, if Xbox even does a physical box then) they jump in with a new VR headset.
As a consumer, you might have had 2 gens of PSVR already, and heard all these rumors about how much improved the 3rd gen PSVR is.
At that point MS has probably already lost that consumer.