By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: " I have Issues with VR, VR is non communal, non social " , Focus of Project Scarlett Because Our Customers Aren't Asking for It , Update : Phil Spencer : " Half Life Alix is amazing "

Tagged games:

What do you think

I disagree with Phil 20 35.09%

I agree with Phil 21 36.84%

I love VR so i am stayed with PS5 or PC 14 24.56%

I love VR but II love Xbo... 0 0%

Cloud gaming is the future not VR 2 3.51%

Total:57
HollyGamer said:
Marth said:

That does not change the fact that plans change all the time for a company and/or person.

It feels like you have a personal vendetta against Phil for whatever reason.

He said they were looking into VR stuff in 2016 and now he said they don't like it. After three years they have probably evaulated the topic enough.

And he does his job communicating to the outside world what Microsofts current plans and ideas are. And he does that pretty well I might add.

I am not disagreeing with weather plan can change or not, it's not the topic we discussing here.

Me personal vendetta ??? LOL

Did He ever said they are looking and did a marketing research  for VR in 2016 or  it's just pure short policy to add Oculus peripheral to Xbox One?  because what i just see is a non consistency in his messages. As Xbox head he should not talked about what he dislike or like, because it will ended back fired him. It will be just simple if he just said " for now we have less demand on VR " without adding his own opinion. 

I bet latter in the future he will said " VR is comunal and great way to play ". then bam all of the fans will said " I am agree with him". Then suddenly people like you will said again, " That does not change the fact that plans change all the time for a company and/or person."

LMAO

I guess nobody has ever told you this before, but putting LOL at the end of everything you say doesn't actually discredit the person you're arguing with. You actually have to make good points and such.....

Something to keep in mind 

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
DonFerrari said:

Correcting my english certainly will do more favor to you right?

If Gamepass value is that much higher then it should have much more impact both for HW sales and total subs right? If I were to do the same type of comparison as you are pushing here I would say that PS+ is much more value than Gamepass since it allow you to play online, give you games for free and sold 40M+. It is more value than WiiU and perhaps even X1.

Well sorry, I didn't mean that kind of disrespect.

Moving on. Gamepass is a much different proposition because of the value it has towards the consumer, I already told you how less restrictive it is and much much lower price barrier. That is just the nature of a sub service and it is important to look at it from a consumers perspective. If you had compared PS+ rather, that would have been a much better comparison with Gamepass as they are both sub services. You could argue that Gamepass is cheaper and has more recent games but that is outside of the discussion of comparing PSVR or WiiU or whatever lmao.

1) Understood, in VGC it is hard to know when someone is correcting the English as a good person wanting to help or doing to dismiss a discussion.

2) Sure Gamepass is a different proposition and something I like (For me it and PSNow - and probably Xcloud - are very fair propositions, rental of a library or even a library+system for a fair price is much better than Stadia rental for system but pay for each game on a small library).

Perhaps you didn't understand why I brought that point on Gamepass. It is due to try and put PSVR as a failure by saying it sold less than WiiU (a platform) or compare it to a service that have nothing in common with it (Gamerpass, that haven't sold much better than it). Like talking about the value of each is something we can do, but talking about their success based on the total sold is something that doesn't make much sense.

Ryuu96 said:

Couple of things...

- Technically he never said Scarlet won't support VR, he said that it wouldn't be their focus which is an entirely different thing, I'm thinking the most likely scenario would be them partnering with a 3rd party company to release an Xbox branded VR headset.

- Why are we bringing up Hololens & Windows Mixed Reality? For starters they are from entirely different teams, with different budgets, Windows Mixed Reality is not made by Microsoft, they're 3rd party headsets which Microsoft provides the OS for, Hololens is an entirely different beast and not targeted towards gamers at all, it's target market is businesses, hence the massive price tag, I know it was shown with Minecraft years ago but clearly plans change.

Hololens is on it's 2nd iteration with a 3rd planned so I'm sure Microsoft is happy with it's performance, regardless it has nothing to do with the Xbox division.

- "We'll we're not asking for Cloud" Cloud's market potential is far bigger than a $300 peripheral on-top of a $$$ console, XCloud will be Xbox, Windows PC, iOS, Android...

- He literally says in the interview "I think we might get there eventually,” Spencer concluded. “But yeah, that’s not where our focus is.”

Mat NPD:

Clarification From Phil:

I'm changing the title because it's a mess and using quotes from 2016 aren't updates, plans change based on a changing market.

Personally I don't care about VR, I'd rather Xbox not use it's resources investing millions into VR, along with their newly acquired studios for a $$$ peripheral I likely wouldn't buy, I'd much rather they do what I said above, partner with a 3rd party company to release an Xbox branded VR headset (Oculus?) and be done with it, at least the option will be there for those that want it and won't require too much investment from Xbox for a niche market.

Edit - Moving to Microsoft too.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ryuu96 said:

Couple of things...

- Technically he never said Scarlet won't support VR, he said that it wouldn't be their focus which is an entirely different thing, I'm thinking the most likely scenario would be them partnering with a 3rd party company to release an Xbox branded VR headset.

- Why are we bringing up Hololens & Windows Mixed Reality? For starters they are from entirely different teams, with different budgets, Windows Mixed Reality is not made by Microsoft, they're 3rd party headsets which Microsoft provides the OS for, Hololens is an entirely different beast and not targeted towards gamers at all, it's target market is businesses, hence the massive price tag, I know it was shown with Minecraft years ago but clearly plans change.

Hololens is on it's 2nd iteration with a 3rd planned so I'm sure Microsoft is happy with it's performance, regardless it has nothing to do with the Xbox division.

- "We'll we're not asking for Cloud" Cloud's market potential is far bigger than a $300 peripheral on-top of a $$$ console, XCloud will be Xbox, Windows PC, iOS, Android...

- He literally says in the interview "I think we might get there eventually,” Spencer concluded. “But yeah, that’s not where our focus is.”

Mat NPD:

Clarification From Phil:

I'm changing the title because it's a mess and using quotes from 2016 aren't updates, plans change based on a changing market.

Personally I don't care about VR, I'd rather Xbox not use it's resources investing millions into VR, along with their newly acquired studios for a $$$ peripheral I likely wouldn't buy, I'd much rather they do what I said above, partner with a 3rd party company to release an Xbox branded VR headset (Oculus?) and be done with it, at least the option will be there for those that want it and won't require too much investment from Xbox for a niche market.

Edit - Moving to Microsoft too.

SO it's your thread now, too bad we don't have any democracy here . Go on just delete and change everything .  My intention to go with games thread  is to see others gamers beside Microsoft fans and Xbox fans. isn't wrong. ? 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 28 November 2019

RolStoppable said:
HollyGamer said:

SO it's your thread now, too bad we don't have any democracy here 

The way things are now are more favorable for you than a democracy would be.

??? 

OTBWY said:
Keiji said:

Ah, that's why Xbox One sales are so good right now !

Oh wait...

Yeah and PSVR is pushing PS4s? lmao

Where did I say that ?

Around the Network
Keiji said:
OTBWY said:

Yeah and PSVR is pushing PS4s? lmao

Where did I say that ?

That's literally the same thing as what you said in that quote.

OTBWY said:
Keiji said:

Where did I say that ?

But I didn't say that. Actually what I said means : PSVR didn't push anything as gamepass as well. Don't make me say what I haven't said.

---------------

As for me, I would be interest in PSVR 2 if there is less cables.

Last edited by Keiji - on 28 November 2019

RolStoppable said:
My question what a thread's purpose is hasn't been directly answered, but the update to the thread and its subsequent posts did more than a sufficient job. This thread is a gift that keeps on giving.

Ninja Theory's statements from 2016 are hilarious. They expected VR to dominate the industry in the future, but instead VR launched and was largely ignored. Phil Spencer's tweet from 2016 is similarily delusional about the future of gaming.

Three years of lackluster VR sales should be enough for any reasonable businessman to conclude that VR won't be the future and that at the very best it will be a small sustainable niche. The thread in its current form shows that Phil had no clue what he was talking about in 2016, but today in 2019 he is capable of putting two and two together and not wasting the Xbox division's limited funds on a venture that isn't worth the investment. However, the thread's actual goal is something very different.

This thread, as it is with these VR debates, gives examples of the wannabe critiques who don't have a clue what they're talking. They basically need to constue vague imaginary figures and claims that supposedly prove the failure of an emerging, yet rapidly advancing technology.

Hunting Season is done...

Keiji said:
OTBWY said:

But I didn't say that. Actually what I said means : PSVR didn't push anything as gamepass as well. Don't make me say what I haven't said.

---------------

As for me, I would be interest in PSVR 2 if there is less cables.

And I elaborated on that in a comment afterwards. The comparison is ridiculous and don't be vague with your statements.

Phil Spencer doesn't have the luxury to branch out of traditional gaming and give uncharted territories a spin, because, simply, the Xbox brand has lost its identity this generation. Old IPs are received with lukewarmly and new IPs have been flops or complete embarrassment. They need to start pumping out unique exclusive experiences first before even thinking about VR in order for the next generation to go smoothly for them.

On the other hand, SONY and Nintendo have their first party studios house in order so it makes sense for them to venture out and take stabs at non-traditional gaming experiences. Obviously, Nintendo has been the most successful with such endeavors because they have the most successful & consistent first party studios output. It's just the way businesses work, build a strong foundation first then think about how to expand your audience. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 28 November 2019