By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You need your phone to buy games for Stadia, more bad news etc

CuCabeludo said:
Shiken said:

The problem has nothing to do with a "free mode".  The problem is that you are paying full retail price for each game, but you are only getting the right to stream it for as long as it is on Stadia.  You own NOTHING with this model.

PC, PS4, X1, and Switch allow you to own physical copies of your games for the same price.  Licensing goes bad, you still own your copy.  Even with digital purchases, as long as you don't delete your games, you retain what you buy if that happens.  This is not the case with Stadia.

I could give two craps about discounts for the 10 dollar a month sub too, because guess what!  XBLive, PSN, hell even Nintendo Switch Online offers their own discounts for the same, if not less, cost of entry for the online service.  Oh and yes, you get to keep those games as well.

If a game is removed from the store it will only affect new buyers. All players who bought it when it was available will continue to access it. 

It is not that simple.  When licensing is up or a game gets pulled, it is removed entirely for legal purposes.  You are buying a license, and even your license as a consumer has a time limit.  It is illegal for Stadia to allow you to stream a game that the license is expured for, because you are paying for the right to use that same license.

I will give you two example of how this is already seen in digital sales.  Scott Pilgrim vs The World was taken down to license expiration.  If you previously bought the game, you still cannot redownload that game because the store cannot legally allow you to download the software even of you already owned your own digital license.

The other is a game called Spy Mouse for mobile devices a few years back.  When EA took the game down, you could not redownload the game even of you bought it for reasons above.  I bought this game, it is on my game list, I cannot download it because of how digital licensing works.

In both of these cases, if the game was downloaded to your device already, you still have it.  With Stadia you are streaming, and are SOL.  If you try to claim otherwise you either have no clue how licensing works or you are just lying to yourself.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Not that I was really interested to begin with, but this sounds worse every time more info comes out about it...

It is near the end of the end....

Shiken said:
CuCabeludo said:

If a game is removed from the store it will only affect new buyers. All players who bought it when it was available will continue to access it. 

It is not that simple.  When licensing is up or a game gets pulled, it is removed entirely for legal purposes.  You are buying a license, and even your license as a consumer has a time limit.  It is illegal for Stadia to allow you to stream a game that the license is expured for, because you are paying for the right to use that same license.

I will give you two example of how this is already seen in digital sales.  Scott Pilgrim vs The World was taken down to license expiration.  If you previously bought the game, you still cannot redownload that game because the store cannot legally allow you to download the software even of you already owned your own digital license.

The other is a game called Spy Mouse for mobile devices a few years back.  When EA took the game down, you could not redownload the game even of you bought it for reasons above.  I bought this game, it is on my game list, I cannot download it because of how digital licensing works.

In both of these cases, if the game was downloaded to your device already, you still have it.  With Stadia you are streaming, and are SOL.  If you try to claim otherwise you either have no clue how licensing works or you are just lying to yourself.

I'm pretty sure Scott Pilgrim is still available for re-download on PS3. It's a pain to check that download list, but I'm sure I've seen it in there recently when scrolling through.

Edit

Yes, I just painstakingly scrolled through 1467 items in the horrible PS3 download list to get to Scott Pilgrim and the game, the unlock key and the dlc are all still there, along with several other de-listed games like DuckTales Remastered and Castle of Illusion (both the remake and original game which was a pre-order bonus). Google may or may not offer the same deal with streaming, I don't have any information on their policy regarding this, but it's not impossible that as long as Stadia remains, they could stream de-listed games that you already bought.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 13 November 2019

Shiken said:

Though i do agree with you on most parts, but you are referring to an extreme case.

Very rarely do games (let alone games people care about) get taken down due to licensing issues or changes.

Sure it happens and you proved it happens now even without Streaming so what affects the Stadia with licensing will also affect other platforms all the same.

This isnt a Streaming flaw, this is a digital flaw which the gaming industry and community have accepted digital gaming a long time ago.

think-man said:
I thought Stadia was subscription based. You have to buy games individually?

It gets even dumber. Ubi at E3 announced you can pay an additional $15 a month if subbed to Stadia to play Ubisoft games or something.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Damn, just leave Stadia to clueless gamers.

I thought technology was supposed to make things better. Apparently it only makes things worse.  Sometimes these companies need to fuck off from markets in which they don't belong.

Landale_Star said:
Shiken said:

I'm pretty sure Scott Pilgrim is still available for re-download on PS3. It's a pain to check that download list, but I'm sure I've seen it in there recently when scrolling through.

Edit

Yes, I just painstakingly scrolled through 1467 items in the horrible PS3 download list to get to Scott Pilgrim and the game, the unlock key and the dlc are all still there, along with several other de-listed games like DuckTales Remastered and Castle of Illusion (both the remake and original game which was a pre-order bonus). Google may or may not offer the same deal with streaming, I don't have any information on their policy regarding this, but it's not impossible that as long as Stadia remains, they could stream de-listed games that you already bought.

I stand corrected on that front then, but my Spy Mouse example from EA does not allow you to redownload the game now that it has been yanked.  I paid money for the game (not a f2p game) and I cannot download it anymore, despite it being in my library.

And Spy Mouse was bought on the Google Play Store...so do with that info what you will.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Leynos said:
think-man said:

It gets even dumber. Ubi at E3 announced you can pay an additional $15 a month if subbed to Stadia to play Ubisoft games or something.

Again, the free mode will have no subscription, free online also. If consoles offered free online so you don't need to sub to Psnow on top of a Mmo sub like FF14, ok you would have a solid point. 

think-man said:

Yes its subscription based..... and you still need to buy games at full price, even though you dont "own" them this way.
If stadia closes down 5 years from now, their just gone, too bad for you.

Theres not even any guarantee that stadia wont down the line, remove games from its library, even if you already bought them, for it.
its basically a huge gamble, all so you can try streaming a game (which is a lesser experiance, than playing on a console, both graphically and with reguards to input delays ect).

Ontop of this, you need to factor into it, the internet speeds you need to run this well, and the data caps it will eat up.