By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You need your phone to buy games for Stadia, more bad news etc

I thought Stadia was subscription based. You have to buy games individually?

Around the Network
think-man said:

Yes you pay full price to add a game to your "digital library" with the right to stream.

The problem is that unlike physical games, or even digital download titles that you have stored on your device, once the licensing for the games runs out and google can no longer keep the game available you are SOL.  Also if stadia flops, say goodbye to your 60 dollar games.

Welcome to the future of cloud gaming!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

think-man said:

I've only been passively following Stadia, but..yes? It's not "the Netfilx of gaming." There are perks with the Founder's edition, but I can't recall to what degree it may, or may not, mitigate the "have to buy games individually" situation. There are monthly free games with a sub at least. Like PSN and XBL. In Googling the Google Stadia Founder's Edition, to verify what The Founder's edition offered, I was met with an ad site, and then only unrelated flotsam. Like this #6 result:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/10/22/google-stadia-founders-edition-sold-out-canada/

D'oh! I guess they ran out of limited edition Limited-edition Night Blue Stadia controllers. Stadia Founder's Edition has sold out in Canada. Just like it was supposed to. D'oh!

Last edited by COKTOE - on 13 November 2019

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

People still confused of how Stadia works.

Free mode: no subscription required, run games on 1080P/60 frames. This base mode will launch in 2020.

Pro mode: 10 bucks a month, run games on 4K/60 frames. Subscribers will also get discounts and free games from times to times.

Pretty sure the poster above me works for Google. Or owns a ton of stock in the company.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Pretty sure the poster above me works for Google. Or owns a ton of stock in the company.

No some people still pretend the free mode doesn't est exist and the pro mode won't offer free games and discounts to subscribers. 

CuCabeludo said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

No some people still pretend the free mode doesn't est exist and the pro mode won't offer free games and discounts to subscribers. 

This thread isn't about that though. It's about needing to use your phone to buy the games, and other issues such as no achievements at launch. Do you have a rebuttal to the OP? Or will you just copy/paste irrelevant marketing bullet points over and over again? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
CuCabeludo said:

This thread isn't about that though. It's about needing to use your phone to buy the games, and other issues such as no achievements at launch. Do you have a rebuttal to the OP? Or will you just copy/paste irrelevant marketing bullet points over and over again? 

A lot of features won't be available right now Google even made an AMA today on Stadia reddit. But all the lacking features will be made available in 2020 with the free model launch. 

CuCabeludo said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The problem has nothing to do with a "free mode".  The problem is that you are paying full retail price for each game, but you are only getting the right to stream it for as long as it is on Stadia.  You own NOTHING with this model.

PC, PS4, X1, and Switch allow you to own physical copies of your games for the same price.  Licensing goes bad, you still own your copy.  Even with digital purchases, as long as you don't delete your games, you retain what you buy if that happens.  This is not the case with Stadia.

I could give two craps about discounts for the 10 dollar a month sub too, because guess what!  XBLive, PSN, hell even Nintendo Switch Online offers their own discounts for the same, if not less, cost of entry for the online service.  Oh and yes, you get to keep those games as well.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
CuCabeludo said:

The problem has nothing to do with a "free mode".  The problem is that you are paying full retail price for each game, but you are only getting the right to stream it for as long as it is on Stadia.  You own NOTHING with this model.

PC, PS4, X1, and Switch allow you to own physical copies of your games for the same price.  Licensing goes bad, you still own your copy.  Even with digital purchases, as long as you don't delete your games, you retain what you buy if that happens.  This is not the case with Stadia.

I could give two craps about discounts for the 10 dollar a month sub too, because guess what!  XBLive, PSN, hell even Nintendo Switch Online offers their own discounts for the same, if not less, cost of entry for the online service.  Oh and yes, you get to keep those games as well.

If a game is removed from the store it will only affect new buyers. All players who bought it when it was available will continue to access it.