By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:

#8 - The only game in this long-running franchise whose name's first word isn't the series name - meaning it's quite annoying when you're listing the games on the spreadsheet, since this one's elsewhere in the alphabetical order! Of course, I can't be too annoyed because it's such a great game.

(I'm probably wrong but idc)

Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 24 December 2019

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

#7: Even though it's never explicitly mentioned in the game, in the manual or anywhere else, I'm pretty sure, given the architecture of the buildings you build, the theme of trading spices and more importantly, the year it's set in combination with said trading of spices, that it's actually about my country; Holland. But, this could also just be my pride talking.

Sid Meier's Pirates?

mZuzek said:

Hey, y'all. I've been away these past couple days, and will likely be constantly away from now on, because, well. But I got some quick time to get some hints out, let's go. By the way, merry Christmas!

#8 - The only game in this long-running franchise whose name's first word isn't the series name - meaning it's quite annoying when you're listing the games on the spreadsheet, since this one's elsewhere in the alphabetical order! Of course, I can't be too annoyed because it's such a great game.

#7 - The whole story is only possible because of the actions of one guy who, for whatever unexplained reason, is extremely tall.

8.  Super Mario Party?

Time to give more clues:

4.  a) The developer who designed the combat system for this game wanted it to feel more intense and engaging than Fire Emblem.  Consequently, instead of each side going all at once, each character or monster has their own speed stat to determine when they act.
b) Even though this game was somewhat inspired by Fire Emblem, it released outside of Japan before any Fire Emblem game did.

3.  a) The combat system for this PC super hero game was inspired by Baldur's Gate.
b) Although this isn't really a Marvel game, the characters seem to pay homage to the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Silver Age of comics.

2.  The file size of this popular game is over 200 times larger than the file size of the previous entry in the series.

#7 - Pokemon Emerald
Released on the GBA by Game Freak in 2005, no change in spot since last year.

My personal favourite in the mainline Pokemon franchise, Emerald is near-on perfection. Its soundtrack is incredible, its region intricately designed, it's roster diverse, and its content deep. I could gush about the game for hours, but I'll hold off for today. Simply put, it is incredible.

mZuzek said:

#6 - Breaking conventions.

(I feel like I suck at guessing lol)

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Just the last five games to go, so here are the hints for them:
-Takes place in a fictional version of Europe, where a small kingdom is being invaded due to its rich reserves of natural resources and the main character joins the militia to defend it
-The age of fire is about to end, and you now have the option to either begin the cycle anew, or begin a new age of darkness
-A space combat game set in the distant future, 32 years after the first great war between the Terran-Vasudan alliance and the mysterious Shivans
-11,000 years before the events of the game, a great war was fought between humans and a race of winged creatures that had enslaved most of the other intelligent races
-This game is full of references and homages to the history of the long-running JRPG series its a part of

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:

#7: Even though it's never explicitly mentioned in the game, in the manual or anywhere else, I'm pretty sure, given the architecture of the buildings you build, the theme of trading spices and more importantly, the year it's set in combination with said trading of spices, that it's actually about my country; Holland. But, this could also just be my pride talking.

Sid Meier's Pirates?

Nope. In that game you literally have a couple nations, while in my game you only pick a colour, and the rest is circumstantial. I'll post a second hint;

#7 (Hint 2): The year its set is so important, it's also in the game's title. If I mention the year the Dutch trading company was formed though, you'd also know my game.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Darashiva said:
-Takes place in a fictional version of Europe, where a small kingdom is being invaded due to its rich reserves of natural resources and the main character joins the militia to defend it
-The age of fire is about to end, and you now have the option to either begin the cycle anew, or begin a new age of darkness
-A space combat game set in the distant future, 32 years after the first great war between the Terran-Vasudan alliance and the mysterious Shivans
-11,000 years before the events of the game, a great war was fought between humans and a race of winged creatures that had enslaved most of the other intelligent races
-This game is full of references and homages to the history of the long-running JRPG series its a part of

5- Maybe Valkyria Chronicles

4- Dark Souls

3- Starcraft?

1- FFIX?

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

5- Maybe Valkyria Chronicles

4- Dark Souls

3- Starcraft?

1- FFIX?

Correct on 5, 4 and 1, but not on 3.