By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Looking to ugrade GPU from 1080ti

So, I recently put up a thread talking about how I finally joined the "PC Master Race".. anyways, one of the upgrades I was looking at was to my GPU.  I've finally saved enough to buy the RTX 2080 ti  that I've been eyeing, but reading recent news regarding ampere and the rumors of possible release window for the RTX 30 series in first half 2020, not sure what to do any more.  Life with the 1080ti is still great, but seeing some of the RT stuff out there, even if currently limited, does make me a bit envious.  Money isn't an issue for this one purchase, but reading how the 30 series will be cheaper and more powerful.. should I wait?  Should I take the plunge on the 2080 ti and just sell later?  My concern is the resale value of the 2080 would probably not be there if the 30 series do turn out to be cheaper.. then I'll be kicking myself about an impulse buy that would be hard to resell.  What do you guys think?

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network

If you say money isn't an issue then why be down at all about the potential resale value of the 2080 Ti ?

A new series of graphics cards might be introduced in the next ~6 months but what do you think the value of the 2080 Ti is worth to you right now ?

fatslob-:O said:

If you say money isn't an issue then why be down at all about the potential resale value of the 2080 Ti ?

A new series of graphics cards might be introduced in the next ~6 months but what do you think the value of the 2080 Ti is worth to you right now ?

Money isn't an issue for this one purchase.. but I don't want to buy something that I might regret a few months down the line when the next iteration that comes is better and cheaper.  Then if I do move forward with the the 30 series the 2080ti resell value would basically nosedive.  For instance, I buy the 2080 ti I'm eyeing.. it'll run close to $1600.  How likely would this $1600 gpu resell for with a cheaper, better, and more powerful card in the market? The only real value I have at the moment with the 2080ti is wanting the ray tracing in some of the games I'm playing; Minecraft, metro, rdr2, modern warfare.  One thing I'm starting to realize building my PC was a continued wanting of bigger and better.  

The 1080Ti is still a fine card. Wait for a few months for ampere... Unless you need more performance, today. (Which does not seem to be the case.)

If you had a GPU that was significantly inferior to the 1080Ti... Then I would probably recommend differently. - At the moment only a few dozen games will take advantage of RTX, so I don't see the need to rush and upgrade.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

BillyBong said:

Money isn't an issue for this one purchase.. but I don't want to buy something that I might regret a few months down the line when the next iteration that comes is better and cheaper.  Then if I do move forward with the the 30 series the 2080ti resell value would basically nosedive.  For instance, I buy the 2080 ti I'm eyeing.. it'll run close to $1600.  How likely would this $1600 gpu resell for with a cheaper, better, and more powerful card in the market? The only real value I have at the moment with the 2080ti is wanting the ray tracing in some of the games I'm playing; Minecraft, metro, rdr2, modern warfare.  One thing I'm starting to realize building my PC was a continued wanting of bigger and better.  

I thought RDR2 on PC didn't have ray tracing ... 

If you're going to have regrets then money obviously is an issue since you care about the resale value ... 

There's nothing anyone can do about that here since as hardware ages it'll inevitably lose it's value. The best thing you can do to defend value/future proofing would be is to wait it out and just ride out on the advances chip technology and then buy into the upgrade cycle whenever you feel the time is right ... 

Around the Network

there aren't many rtx enabled games out right now and even the 2080Ti struggles in Control (the techs most impressive showcase to date) with all effects enabled, so I think it's better to wait for the 30 series cards

Wait.

My 980ti is still fantastic so I don't understand the rush. I'll be able to use this card for at least another 2, maybe 3 years before I started noticing a need to upgrade. I may even wait 4 years.

BillyBong said:
fatslob-:O said:

I'd wait, but not for the reasons you're stating.

This is technology, and especially computing. The next thing will always be better, is never far off, and will normally be cheaper (relative to performance). I don't think you're as comfortable with making this purchase as you're telling yourself, and $1600 is too much for something you're unsure on.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
BillyBong said:

I'd wait, but not for the reasons you're stating.

This is technology, and especially computing. The next thing will always be better, is never far off, and will normally be cheaper (relative to performance). I don't think you're as comfortable with making this purchase as you're telling yourself, and $1600 is too much for something you're unsure on.

I'd be comfortable making this decision if the 30 series were a ways off and not just around the corner.  I know tech changes fast.. it's just this stupid pricing point for the 2080ti..