By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 worldwide shipments tops 102.8M, becomes second best-selling home game console of all time

zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Not when the original scenario had a much more powerful Vita launching at the same price as the weaker 3DS.  Nintendo knew that wasn't going to be an ideal battle, so dropped the price so low, the power difference didn't really matter anymore.  And, like I said, the HH market shrinking incredibly meant there wasn't even room for two HHs to do good numbers.

The power difference in general never mattered, the 30 year history of Nintendo handhelds proves that.

So Vita was going to outsell 3DS if it stayed at $250 but the price cut to $170 caused it to sell almost 5x as much Vita? That one move changed things so much that it was going to have over 50% marketshare but ended up with only 17.5% marketshare?

That just doesnt add up. You could argue it would have fared better without the big price cut, maybe similar marketshare that PSP got (34.4%) but there is no way such a huge shift was going to happen when you consider that the biggest handheld franchises like Pokemon, Animal Crossing & Monster Hunter were already announced for 3DS well before Vita even released.

The price cut had little to do with Vita and had alot more to do with the fact that it had a terrible post-launch drought causing sales were slow. The price cut absolutely helped things in a big way but sales were going to pick up even without it when Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 & Monster Hunter Tri all released just weeks apart in Fall 2011 and had a steady stream of big games from that point onward.

Apparently, Nintendo didn't agree with your assessment of the situation, so did a huge cut shortly after launch.  If they thought sales were going to explode after those games came out, regardless of the Vita, there would have been absolutely no reason to cut the price so much so shortly after release, and not long before the Vita launched.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

The power difference in general never mattered, the 30 year history of Nintendo handhelds proves that.

So Vita was going to outsell 3DS if it stayed at $250 but the price cut to $170 caused it to sell almost 5x as much Vita? That one move changed things so much that it was going to have over 50% marketshare but ended up with only 17.5% marketshare?

That just doesnt add up. You could argue it would have fared better without the big price cut, maybe similar marketshare that PSP got (34.4%) but there is no way such a huge shift was going to happen when you consider that the biggest handheld franchises like Pokemon, Animal Crossing & Monster Hunter were already announced for 3DS well before Vita even released.

The price cut had little to do with Vita and had alot more to do with the fact that it had a terrible post-launch drought causing sales were slow. The price cut absolutely helped things in a big way but sales were going to pick up even without it when Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 & Monster Hunter Tri all released just weeks apart in Fall 2011 and had a steady stream of big games from that point onward.

Apparently, Nintendo didn't agree with your assessment of the situation, so did a huge cut shortly after launch.  If they thought sales were going to explode after those games came out, regardless of the Vita, there would have been absolutely no reason to cut the price so much so shortly after release, and not long before the Vita launched.

It's almost as if you just ignored very key points of what I said.

The price cut was due to low post-launch sales as they had a very poorly planned software lineup through most of 2011. There was a grand total of 1 game released between April-October that sold over 1 million units.

They cut the price in August, the big games I mentioned released in Nov/Dec, they clearly didnt want to endure 3 more months of poor sales while waiting for the big games to drop.

This should give a little perspective, 3DS sold over 3.4 million units in the 5 months it was sold at $250. Vita' sold under 3.7 million in it's best year.

Even before the price cut 3DS was on track to sell something like ~10 million in 2011, something that took Vita nearly 3 years to achieve.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

With all that said though I've had my fair share of misguided predictions, I thought Wii U would be a success.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

It's almost as if you just ignored very key points of what I said.

The price cut was due to low post-launch sales as they had a very poorly planned software lineup through most of 2011. There was a grand total of 1 game released between April-October that sold over 1 million units.

They cut the price in August, the big games I mentioned released in Nov/Dec, they clearly didnt want to endure 3 more months of poor sales while waiting for the big games to drop.

This should give a little perspective, 3DS sold over 3.4 million units in the 5 months it was sold at $250. Vita' sold under 3.7 million in it's best year.

Even before the price cut 3DS was on track to sell something like ~10 million in 2011, something that took Vita nearly 3 years to achieve.

I ignored nothing.  If Nintendo wanted to boost sales until those games came out, like you said, they would have just dropped the price by ~$20-$30, and probably just temporarily.  They dropped it by $80 permanently.  Just months after launch.  That's unprecedented, especially for a system that you seem to claim would have been the de facto market leader.  Obviously, Nintendo didn't share that confidence.  That was not a move just to boost sales for a couple of months until great games came out.  It was a move of desperation to put it in a much better position against the upcoming Vita.  And bringing up Vita's sales doesn't change that.  The market shrank, as we came to learn, to a point where there was only room for one of them.  Nintendo made sure they were that one by dropping the price.

Congratulations to PS4, the beast. So, what next ? 130M+ by the end of its life cycle.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

The PS4 will continue to be supported in the next 5 years, I think. Awesome numbers.

KazumaKiryu said:
The PS4 will continue to be supported in the next 5 years, I think. Awesome numbers.

Maybe but from November 2020 (most likely release date for PS5) it's going to be "supported" like Nintendo currently "supports" the 3DS.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Maybe but from November 2020 (most likely release date for PS5) it's going to be "supported" like Nintendo currently "supports" the 3DS.

Alot of 3rd party games will be cross-gen for the first couple years.

Beating the 100 million mark is always an impressive acomplishmemt. However what makes this one special is the speed and price point at which it made it to the 100 million mark. The PS1 was heavily discounted, as was the PS2. The PS4 however still costs around € 300,-. But more impressive than the hardware numbers are the software numbers.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

It's been a great system. One of the best ever really. I'm a little bummed that PS has lost some of it's "Japanese-ness" this gen, and there have been smattering of censorship issues, but PS4 has been a positive in every other metric IMO. And for me, a rock of reliability. No PS4 hardware issues for me so far.

100 million plus is hardly rarefied air for PS, but still a noteworthy accomplishment. Congrats to my friend Sony. I'll talk to you again when another cam-girl PSN account tries to get my credit card info with promises of exposing her butt-hole.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."