By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atelier Ryza Opencritic Thread (84)

Currently there are only seven scored reviews for Atelier Ryza so it's a little early to celebrate. 

Here's some review snippets. 

9.1 / 10.0
Oct 26, 2019

With so many JRPGs remaining stagnant or trying to appeal to the masses, Atelier Ryza stands tall amongst its peers as a truly amazing experience.

Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout makes some fundamental changes to the core mechanics that may get under the skin of long-time fans but are welcome for those looking to jump into the franchise for the first time.

4 / 5.0
Oct 25, 2019

In a lot of ways Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout is an improvement. Here we have someone who is getting into alchemy because they want to, plus a mysterious plot that is building in the background, making it one of the better stories to date.

Around the Network

It'd be cool if Ryza turned out to be the series breakout hit. It looks good.

That's pretty cool. Been wanting to try this series for years. Didn't they hentai things a bit in this particular entry to secure a bit of the hentai market? I understand some purists are leery of the hentai.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

RolStoppable said:
I don't care how good it is, I'll probably wait until next year before I buy it. It releases in the same week as Luigi's Mansion 3, there have been so many Atelier games on Switch already, plus the DLC practices aren't getting any better. I think I'll enjoy this more if I only pay €40 or less.

I know how you feel. I only really got it because it was $45 at Best Buy and they were offering a $10 gift card with it. 

They keep adding DLC to these games that makes the full game cost something like $80. It's kind of annoying. 

I'll wait for this one for a bit longer, want to save up for the Dusk Trilogy instead, plus the internet been annoying with Ryza, so it kind of deflated part of my excitement for the game, but I will play it.

Plus I still have to finish a couple I have in the backlog.

Around the Network

I've not paid attention to Atelier since forever - the original Rorona, in fact. They've been releasing them as if they own a factory - what's annoying people in this one?

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I know how you feel. I only really got it because it was $45 at Best Buy and they were offering a $10 gift card with it. 

They keep adding DLC to these games that makes the full game cost something like $80. It's kind of annoying. 

I am actually not bothered too much by the idea of paying €80 for a game plus all of its DLC, but the problem with the Atelier series is that it has so many ridiculously overpriced DLC items, including the few DLCs that are worthwhile. It's a situation where DLC has to be 75% off to get into an respectable price/value range; not cheap, merely acceptable.

Ryza's Digital Deluxe Edition for €75 includes DLC pieces that shouldn't cost more than €3, but Gust has the nerve to pass off €15 as a good deal.

Given what the DLC prices for the Atelier series are, it essentially means buying a game that will remain incomplete even if only relevant pieces like additional playable characters and dungeons are considered. That fact keeps souring the pot.

This is how I feel for all DLC that isn't a significant expansion to the game. If the DLC isn't Shivering Isles, Frozen Wilds, or Iceborne level big it flat out isn't worth it. $15 for a bunch of clothing that took a modeler a day to do? GTFO!

This is the best overall reviewed Atelier game ever! Apparently they went and completely overhauled the combat system. It's turn based, but active time, ala Final Fantasy VI on the SNES, only a whole lot more frantic and action packed. There are ways to assist other party members kind of like how Rorona Plus let you do combo attacks. So between the faster combat, and and the combo/assist opportunities fights are fast paced and fun for once.