By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [FINAL PART UP] VGChartz' Top 50 Video Game Music Composers

Tagged for later. Will decide my own top soon.

EDIT: Never mind, too hard!

Around the Network
QUAKECore89 said:

Doesn't have to be a full top ten if you can't decide on it. You can just put as many as you can think of and leave the list at that.

Darashiva said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Doesn't have to be a full top ten if you can't decide on it. You can just put as many as you can think of and leave the list at that.

Oh god, no. I have thousands of nice games to re-listen tracks and to research who composed tracks, don't have time for this. xD

I might not able to fresh post as of 2019, but here's a good news. It's an old document top 10 back in 2005 when i was youth, those are really good composers.

1.Kurt Harland (Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver)
2.Sonic Mayhem (Quake II)
3.Terry Scott Taylor (The Neverhood)
4.Tommy Tallarico (Earthworm Jim)
5.Bobby Prince (Duke Nukem 3D & DOOM)
6.David Bowie (Omikron)
7.Koji Kondo (Ocarina of Time)
8.Yuzo Koshiro (Street of Rage)
9.Nobuyoshi Sano (Tekken 3)
10.Kenji Yamamoto (Metroid Prime)
11.Daniel Bernstein (Blood)

~Edited~

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 25 October 2019

QUAKECore89 said:
I might not able to fresh post as of 2019, but here's a good news. It's an old document top 10 back in 2005 when i was youth, those are really good composers.

6.David Bowie (Omikron)

Everyone else is good, but David Bowie doesn't really count as a video game composer. If you want you can just swap him with someone else or add someone at the end, or I can just count the rest of the composers and ignore him. 

Around the Network
Darashiva said:

And finally, Michiko Naruke:

Michiko Naruke very narrowly missed out on my list, I'm still not sure I made the right call but I'll leave things they way I decided. The track you linked "A Person's Warmth is one of my favourites, I always thought it sounds a little like Dust in the Wind. I got very used to hearing it as I loaded the game up every day back in 2005, to record the text explaining what day it was (every single day had a new description).

Landale_Star said:
Darashiva said:

And finally, Michiko Naruke:

Michiko Naruke very narrowly missed out on my list, I'm still not sure I made the right call but I'll leave things they way I decided. The track you linked "A Person's Warmth is one of my favourites, I always thought it sounds a little like Dust in the Wind. I got very used to hearing it as I loaded the game up every day back in 2005, to record the text explaining what day it was (every single day had a new description).

Same thing with me. Naruke was among the last few composers I dropped out of contention for my list. 

Darashiva said:
QUAKECore89 said:

6.David Bowie (Omikron)

Everyone else is good, but David Bowie doesn't really count as a video game composer. If you want you can just swap him with someone else or add someone at the end, or I can just count the rest of the composers and ignore him. 

Unfortunately this is all i can do, though there is only two drafted composers in the same old document that you might probably heard of.. Daniel Bernstein (Blood) & Guy Whitmore (No One Lives Forever)

~I edited the post.

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 25 October 2019

Let's highlight another few composers again, starting with Hitoshi Sakimoto:

Next, Frank Klepacki:

And let's end with Kurt Harland:

Here's another group of composers. First, Jesper Kyd:

Next, Masayoshi Soken: