Forums - Gaming Discussion - [FINAL PART UP] VGChartz' Top 50 Video Game Music Composers

Just my effort to swing some voters maybe.

Just wanna showcase some of Tim Follins achievements.

The ZX Spectrum was a pretty primitive micro computer. It came with a very simple pc speaker that could only do beeps and boops. However, Tim found a way to manipulate the frequency and the pitch of the beeps and boops in such a way that he could make pretty kick ass music with it. Now it may sound like screeching noise to you but in those times it was mindblowing. Also factor in that Tim was 17 when he made this.

Though his favourite console to make music for was the C64, it didn't stop him from making some of the best tunes on the NES.

He made even more awesome stuff on the SNES, as you can listen here:

Around the Network

1. Nobuo Uematsu
2. Koji Kondo
3. Koichi Sugiyama (for the quality of his music)
4. Hitoshi Sakimoto
5. Hip Tanaka
6. Yoko Shimomura
7. Motoi Sakuraba
8. Shoji Meguro
9. Bobby Prince
10. George "The Fat Man" Sanger

Time for another set of composers to get highlighted. Here are some less well known ones that haven't come up in anyone's lists so far. First, Daisuke Ishiwatari:

Next, Noriyuki Iwadare:

And finally, Michiko Naruke:

My Most Recent Articles:

1. Video Game Music Spotlight #14: A Moment of Calm

2. Gods and Superheroes: The Story of Clover Studio

3. Video Game Music Spotlight #13: Winter and Cold

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

1. Nobuo Uematsu
2. Koji Kondo
3. Yoko Shimomura
4. Masayoshi Soken
5. David Wise
6. Shoji Meguro

Here's the next few composers for your consideration. Let's start with Akira Yamaoka:

Next, Graeme Norgate:

Let's end this one with Takashi Tateishi:

My Most Recent Articles:

Around the Network

Making a list of your favorite video game composers is hard. Lots of researching on who wrote the specific songs in a game, and so often you don't find accurate credits for what you're looking for... but I made it!

1. Rei Kondo (10 pts.)
Notable games: Ōkami, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Star Fox Zero
Here because of: Return to Corneria, Kushi's Choice, Giving Kushinada a Ride, Lechku & Nechku, The Sun Rises

2. David Wise (9 pts.)
Notable games: Donkey Kong Country series, Battletoads series, Yooka-Laylee series
Here because of: Island Swing, Lockjaw's Saga, Stickerbush Symphony, Funky Waters, Seashore War

3. Shoji Meguro (8 pts.)
Notable games: Persona series, Catherine
Here because of: Life Will Change, Will Power, Blooming Villain, The Whims of Fate, Rivers in the Desert

4. Kenji Yamamoto (7 pts.)
Notable games: Metroid series, Donkey Kong Country Returns
Here because of: Theme of Super Metroid, Upper Brinstar, Tallon Overworld, Credits (Metroid Prime), Torvus Bog

5. Hiroshi Yamaguchi (6 pts.)
Notable games: Ōkami, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101
Here because of: Enter Waka, Canine Warriors' Theme, Ryoshima Coast, Kamui, Reset (Thank You)

6. Danny Baranowsky (5 pts.)
Notable games: Cave Story, Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac, Crypt of the Necrodancer series
Here because of: Dr. Fetus' Castle, Rhythmortis, Disco Descent, Momentum Mori, Overworld (Cadence of Hyrule)

7. Michiru Yamane (4 pts.)
Notable games: Castlevania series, Skullgirls, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Here because of: Dracula's Castle, Moonlight Nocturne, Crystal Teardrops, Voyage of Promise, Luxurious Overture

8. Koji Kondo (3 pts.)
Notable games: just about everything ever
Here because of: Dark World, Gerudo Valley, The End Credits (Majora's Mask), Steam Gardens, Bowser's Castle

9. Junichi Masuda (2 pts.)
Notable games: Pokémon series
Here because of: Lance/Red Battle, Cynthia Battle, Team Plasma Battle, Xerneas/Yveltal Battle, Kalos Elite Four Battle

10. Masami Ueda (1 pt.)
Notable games: Resident Evil series, Devil May Cry series, Ōkami, Bayonetta series
Here because of: Dance of Gold (SSBU), Title (Ōkami), Shinshu Field, Susano's Theme, Wep'keer

Favorite song from each composer in bold.

Shout-outs also go to Takeshi Hama (Skyward Sword), Christopher Larkin (Hollow Knight) and obviously Kow Otani (Shadow of the Colossus), who I couldn't put on the list because of the rules. It's a little sad that most composers I included were mostly because of their work on a single game, Shoji Meguro and the Ōkami crew being the most blatant examples, but it's just how it is - I can't help loving the crap out of a damn good soundtrack and whoever made it will get my love... or something.

Last edited by mZuzek - on 25 October 2019

Tagged for later. Will decide my own top soon.

EDIT: Never mind, too hard!

Steam ID: Quakecore89 / GOG: AMDFX89 / PSN: QuakeCore_89 / Xbox Live Tag: QuakeCore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PC: (Ryzen 7 3700X/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 2080 Super/Crucial 250GB M.2(Boot) Kingston 1TB SSD(Storage))

QUAKECore89 said:

Doesn't have to be a full top ten if you can't decide on it. You can just put as many as you can think of and leave the list at that.

My Most Recent Articles:

Darashiva said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Doesn't have to be a full top ten if you can't decide on it. You can just put as many as you can think of and leave the list at that.

Oh god, no. I have thousands of nice games to re-listen tracks and to research who composed tracks, don't have time for this. xD

Steam ID: Quakecore89 / GOG: AMDFX89 / PSN: QuakeCore_89 / Xbox Live Tag: QuakeCore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PC: (Ryzen 7 3700X/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 2080 Super/Crucial 250GB M.2(Boot) Kingston 1TB SSD(Storage))

I might not able to fresh post as of 2019, but here's a good news. It's an old document top 10 back in 2005 when i was youth, those are really good composers.

1.Kurt Harland (Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver)
2.Sonic Mayhem (Quake II)
3.Terry Scott Taylor (The Neverhood)
4.Tommy Tallarico (Earthworm Jim)
5.Bobby Prince (Duke Nukem 3D & DOOM)
6.David Bowie (Omikron)
7.Koji Kondo (Ocarina of Time)
8.Yuzo Koshiro (Street of Rage)
9.Nobuyoshi Sano (Tekken 3)
10.Kenji Yamamoto (Metroid Prime)
11.Daniel Bernstein (Blood)

~Edited~

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 25 October 2019