By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I suffer from Sleep Paralysis. Does anyone else?

I've had quite a few occurances - mainly when overly tierd. It can be freaky and not too many people suffer from it apparently (on a percentage basis).

Best thing is to just wait for your body to kick in rather than try and force movement - the episodes seem to pass more quickly for me anyway if I just wait patiently for my body to come online.

Just having this for a few minutes makes you realise how terrible it must be to be truly paralyzed.

Still, at least now I know some fellow gamers suffer from this and won't feel quite so alone next time I'm lying temporarily paralyzed in bed...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Myoclonic jerks are not a part of or associated with sleep paralysis, and apparently are common to all people. Everyone suffers from these in the same way that everyone suffers from getting the hiccups. Most people will suffer from sleep paralysis a couple times in their life as well. I had an incident of sleep paralysis perhaps twenty years ago, and that was only once. Most people will probably suffer from it once or twice in their entire lives.

Sleep and dreaming have been a fascination of mine for years. My family has peculiar sleep patterns. My mother and my sister for example would hold on complex discussions dead asleep. My brother can memorize what happens around him while he is asleep, and I can do complex tasks while dead to the world. I have upwards of eight or nine lucid dreams a month that I can vividly recall.

However the strangest thing that happens to me with sleep are the voices. When I am about to nod off to sleep I hear dozens of voices overlapped talking. Now I can pay attention to one of them, and actually here what it says. However if I do that I wake back up, and if I pay no particular attention I am gone in short order. I have never figured out exactly what that is all about.

never

Dodece said:
<snip>

Sleep and dreaming have been a fascination of mine for years. My family has peculiar sleep patterns. My mother and my sister for example would hold on complex discussions dead asleep. My brother can memorize what happens around him while he is asleep, and I can do complex tasks while dead to the world. I have upwards of eight or nine lucid dreams a month that I can vividly recall.

<snip>

Lucid dreams are amazing, I'm also pretty interesting in those.  I usually have a few lucid dreams a certain night at a time, say every 3 days.  If I remember any of the situations I wont remember any of the others that were on the same night.

I loved before knowing what they were, having ones of waking up and pretty much living out my morning before finding something odd about that "world" and waking up. One of the first I remember was waking up and knocking some books off my chest of drawers, only to realise my chest of drawers aren't actually in that position in my room.  After realising that I woke right up.