By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I suffer from Sleep Paralysis. Does anyone else?

It's quite common apparently.

I've been getting it for years now. It occurs (usually) really late at night while I'm in this state of semi-awakeness. I'll just be laying there in bed and all of a sudden, my body will be completely paralysed. I won't be able to move, talk, blink and I'll have trouble breathing properly.

It feels like I'm being held down by some kind of supernatural force. I can actually feel the pressure on my body.

I'll start hearing really loud noises/ringing in my ears, and sometimes I'll halucinate things like freaky green and purple blobs fading in and out around me. And the whole time there's this really disturbing feeling like someone else is there watching me.....

It'll last usually just a few minutes, then I'll wake up and slowly regain control over my muscles. By that time I'll be completely terrified, although not as much now (first time it happened I seriously thought I was being attacked by a ghost. You have no idea)

Has this ever happened to you/do you know someone else who suffers from this?

Around the Network

it happend to my wife once but she swears it was a ghost

No...

But I'm scared for you Okey. Go and see a doctor or something.

Oh, forgot to add:

Most commonly you'll be laying on your back and suddenly get the feeling that you're falling or tripping, triggering a weird jolt through your body.

I don't think a doctor can resolve sleep paralysis.

I don't have this problem, though it can be induced and it's a part of Wilding to enter a lucid dream but i don't have the guts for it.

Good for you not believing anymore you are being attacked by a ghost, because, you know, everyone thinks sleep paralysis is a ghost attack :P

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Oh, forgot to add:

Most commonly you'll be laying on your back and suddenly get the feeling that you're falling or tripping, triggering a weird jolt through your body.

I had that before!

I used to always have that.  I'd be laying down, then I'd feel like I was free-falling or skydiving, and the I'd try to catch myself. 

It hasn't happened in forever.

Have you seen the film 'The Entity'? Watch your back dude. And sleep on your back as well, just in case.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Oh, forgot to add:

I get that all the time. Never experienced any of the rest of it though. 

DMeisterJ said:
No...

But I'm scared for you Okey. Go and see a doctor or something.

lol, I have seen a doctor about it. It's normal.

When you're dreaming, the brain locks all your muscles to prevent self harm (explaining the paralysed part). When you go into sleep paralysis, it's like your stuck in between a dream and reality. Your senses spaz out causing the mind to play tricks on you (well, that's the general idea I guess)

It still scares the shit out of me though. It varies in how severe it is. Sometimes it just feel like there's a toddler sitting on my back and other times I'll just get that weird jolt.

Wow, OkeyDokey! I never had any idea how tough you had it. I look at you, and I say "Now, there's a bloke who's got his affairs in order."* I guess I never suspected that even YOU may have obstacles that you must overcome. I guess the grass is always greener...... Tonight, when I go to sleep, I'll appreciate it so much more.

*I usually say this out loud. Because I live in Georgia, I have almost been killed twice for "speaking with a proper British accent". That's actually illegal, down here.