By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I suffer from Sleep Paralysis. Does anyone else?

--OkeyDokey-- said:
You seriously had to look it up on wikipedia? How the hell did you get into college?

You don't wanna know...

I did something to someone I'm not too proud of.

Around the Network
fkusumot said:

WOW! I thought that only happened to me! Here's a page that describes it and gives suggestions on how to avoid it. If there had been an internet then I might have found out it wasn't something that was just happening to me. It really does freak you out. I didn't have the hallucinations, just the paralysis (which is scary enough). I don't recall it happening for at least the last 10 years but when I when I was in my teen's up to my early 30's I had that type of dream/paralysis when I was trying to wake up a couple times a month, sometimes more.

That last comment was directed at DMJ :P

It's really quite shocking to watch it happen to someone (or so I've heard...)

My girlfriend found out about it the hard way. She thought I was being possessed haha. She was pretty freaked out.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
You seriously had to look it up on wikipedia? How the hell did you get into college?

Uhm... no wikipedia in 1982? Or did you mean something else? It hasn't happened in at least the last ten years. I think 12 years ago. So in 1996 do you know how you looked up medical conditions? Or was that not what you meant?

But anyways, I really was surprised to find out it was common.

Edit: Nevermind OkeyDokey. Mistook who you meant.

2nd Edit: I think North Americans don't learn what a fortnight is until they have to read Shakespeare.

ferret1603 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Oh, forgot to add:

Most commonly you'll be laying on your back and suddenly get the feeling that you're falling or tripping, triggering a weird jolt through your body.
I get that all the time. Never experienced any of the rest of it though.

Every human being has this event reocurring every once in a while, it's perfectly normal. 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I thought it was a form of epilepsy, and put my experiences down to that.

Around the Network
Neos said:
ferret1603 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Oh, forgot to add:

Most commonly you'll be laying on your back and suddenly get the feeling that you're falling or tripping, triggering a weird jolt through your body.

Every human being has this event reocurring every once in a while, it's perfectly normal. 

No, not everyone. I've asked some people if it had happened to them and was met with blank stares most of the time.

Neos said:
ferret1603 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Oh, forgot to add:

Isn't that a little bit different or is that exactly what you're saying? Dreaming about falling is one of the top 10 dreams. A lot of people have told me that they'll be just falling asleep and "dream" they're falling and their body will jerk or they will kick. Then that wakes them up. People with insomnia have told me that and I've experience it before but not often. The dream/sleep paralysis is much more disturbing (at least in my experience).

fkusumot said:
Neos said:
ferret1603 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Oh, forgot to add:

Isn't that a little bit different or is that exactly what you're saying? Dreaming about falling is one of the top 10 dreams. A lot of people have told me that they'll be just falling asleep and "dream" they're falling and their body will jerk or they will kick. Then that wakes them up. People with insomnia have told me that and I've experience it before but not ofter. The dream/sleep paralysis is much more disturbing (at least in my experience).

Yea exactly. Everyone has these dreams once in a while. Why? no idea..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Well ... it's happened to me like 4-5 times .... and the firt ones were reaaaally scary >_

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

Dreaming about falling? It's just something you feel when you are about to get into SP, i suppose. I get it all the time, and it will scare me and make me move, though if i can be calm i'll get into SP.

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"