By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo double down on working with "AA" studios

Platinum games is not an AA studio.

Outside of that mistake, I agree.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
CaptainExplosion said:

This is deeply alarming, especially with Microsoft buying up studios. You know how that usually ends.

At least Nintendo, so far, hasn't done such an atrocity to any of their in-house studios.

Nuts and Bolts was an amazing game.  Much better than Tooie, and rivals the original.

It was actually a fun game for what it is and is probably underappreciated. - But no way was it superior to Tooie and the Original game.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JWeinCom said:

Nuts and Bolts was an amazing game.  Much better than Tooie, and rivals the original.

It was actually a fun game for what it is and is probably underappreciated. - But no way was it superior to Tooie and the Original game.

Tooie really just wasn't that good.  Rare didn't really know where to go after the first game, so they threw just about everything they could at the wall.  Had all of the same problems that people had with DK 64, but kind of worse in a lot of ways.  Nuts and Bolts was definitely better.  As for the first one, it still holds up really well.  But other better 3D platformers have come along whereas there is nothing that is quite like Nuts and Bolts.  Aside from nostalgia, I can't think of a really good reason to play BK over most of the 3d Marios for instance, but Nuts and Bolts provides something unique.

No.

*cries in Bayonetta 2*

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

CaptainExplosion said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

It's moreso Microsoft than Sony, but yeah, medium-large sized independent studios are getting bought up by the big two in an effort to prepare for the increased costs of next generation. Sony acquired Insomniac so far, but they said they were looking into other developers as well, including Remedy.

This is deeply alarming, especially with Microsoft buying up studios. You know how that usually ends.

At least Nintendo, so far, hasn't done such an atrocity to any of their in-house studios.

It ends in great games?

I don't see the problem.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
JWeinCom said:

I tried playing the N64 Banjo games, don't care for them.

I had a blast with N&B though. I don't understand why they're even compared, completely different games.

You make vehicles to complete missions, its different and unique experience. Nothing else quite like it, I'm gonna download it and play it in glorious 4K.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JWeinCom said:

Recently Completed

I think Nintendo should keep working with Japanese studios given they are successful with that. Sony isn't that interested in Japan in my opinion, Nintendo could steal some or much of that market.

For the west, I think Nintendo should encourage 3rd party developers to keep supporting with big budget games.

Recently Completed

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

Average amount of money

Average amount of resources

Thanks, was wondering what it stood for.

It doesn't really. Its just like with batteries. Just something to measure the budget pretty much.

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

I tried playing the N64 Banjo games, don't care for them.

I had a blast with N&B though. I don't understand why they're even compared, completely different games.

You make vehicles to complete missions, its different and unique experience. Nothing else quite like it, I'm gonna download it and play it in glorious 4K.

I also had a blast with it, Nuts and Bolts is a highly solid title that is often derided for pretty poor reasoning. - I judge that particular title on it's own merits... And not because it differentiated itself from the first two titles rather significantly.

In saying that, I don't think it's as enjoyable as it's Nintendo 64 iterations... But they were a stupidly high ceiling to reach anyway... And were titles that helped define the 3D platformer as a genre, they were blatantly awesome games that in many aspects haven't aged as well as other titles, but I judge them by their own merits from the era they came from.

I also highly enjoyed Viva Pinata and Kameo as well... And whilst Perfect Dark: Zero was a bit of a flop compared to the Nintendo 64 variant... It was still a fun run through.

Sea of Thieves was a pretty bare-bones experience... RARE still has *some* magic left, but they aren't leading the industry like they were in the SNES/Nintendo 64 days, but that doesn't mean they are a terrible developer, just the bar has been raised higher.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--