By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai: "No way" future Smash Bros. games will have as many fighters as Ultimate

I forgot to say that characters like Captain Falcon can just delegated to Assist trophies.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Xxain said:

The inclusion of Fire Emblem was at that time, catering to the Japanese. Marth was relevant over there. Marth is the OG protagonist and had appeared in multiple FE's at that point (I think the only FE protagonist to get multiple appearances) with Roy just having his game about to be released.

How was Marth relevant in Japan?
When Melee came out in 2001, Marth had been in two games. One on NES in 1990, and the other on SNES in 1994.
There had been two new generation of consoles released since than, without any Marth.

But you propose to cut Yoshi as 'irrelevant', who had a game in 2019. And Samus who had a game in 2017.
So I don't understand how you quantify relevant and irrelevant. You'd have to explain that.
"He had appeared in multiple games at that point" applies to all the characters you cut from the list of initial 8 as well.

I would not call relevancy an "added bonus" as there is no character minus R.O.B (who is just there to be the shock character) that at the time of their inclusion they were not relevant somehow. Developers are clearly thinking about this topic.

Well you'd have to explain how you quantify relevant and irrelevant.
But I'm referring to how Nintendo went out of their way to include every character that has ever been in Smash, because they feel their inclusions are still important. But apparently you don't think all of them are relevant, or you wouldn't propose cutting a bunch of them out. Solid Snake for example hasn't been in a game for over a decade (2008).

I have aready given my viewpoint on this bro. Ultimate is a celebration of the last 20 years Smash Bro's before hitting the reset button. With that in mind relevancy is not a topic that they have to consider. Of course as much content from those 20 years should be included. Its a celebration game! I don't know why you brought up Solid Snake? I already said I think all the current 3rd party should the cut and then the team pick new/current 3rd party reps. Yes, Snake should go.  All conversation about how they proceed with roster is post reset, where they aren't contrained by the series luggage. It has to happen, it will happen. Fighters are unique in the sense that there is a definite upper limit where it becomes just many characters to deal with. Some characters will return. Some wont/shouldnt and they have to find a system that helps decide that. The most logical is what is relevant in current market with Nintendo and 3rd parties.

I did not propse to cut Yoshi, just that he should not be todays OG 8. That post focused on who would be the 8 in todays time for a reset.

I'll stop buying Smash Bros. the day they cut both the Earthbound and Mother 3 reps.

morenoingrato said:
I'll stop buying Smash Bros. the day they cut both the Earthbound and Mother 3 reps.

You'd be far from the only one.

That's even worse than when other publishers cut a mainstay fighter from a roster and then sell him/her back as DLC.

EDIT: Imagine the controversy going on with Sword and Shield right now with the cut Pokedex, and apply that to Smash...

Around the Network

Cutting characters will get them backlash no matter what. Nintendo and Sakurai have somewhat driven themselves into a corner with this game. Personally I’m not a fan of cutting content, some 3rd party stuff could be excused, but overal I want to see things move forward instead of backward. I don’t see why, easily put, they can’t just copy-paste what they have and build further on that.

He is lying

CaptainExplosion said:

Really the only feasible character cut I can see is Dr. Mario. He'd be just as good as an alt costume for Mario.

Big pharma has problem with that.  If he isn't pushing pills then what USA doctor would accept push backs from big pharma on poisoning the USA population?

sethnintendo said:
He is lying

This is actually a reasonable possibility as well. Or at least unintentionally because he spoke too soon. Anyway Sakurai has been known to troll, or at least to put people on the wrong track.

Jpcc86 said:
TBH I see this as an absolute win. I really dont like the gigantic roster in fighting games. Knowing how to use all characters allows one to play more competitively when playing against them and that its pretty darn hard in SMU. That is the one gigantic plus of the original SM64 (which remains my fav).
SMU has what? 70 chars? I mean, I dont know if we need characters like R.O.B. or Palutena or Corrin in the game.

I agree. The gigantic roster is a little absurd, IMO. It's entertaining one time, but I haven't enjoyed a Smash game the same way since Melee, and it's not just because the changes in fighter mechanics. Melee's roster was a great size IMO, with the right variety, and each game since then has blurred the lines from fighter to fighter too much. There's not enough distinction anymore.

SW-5120-1900-6153