By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gliding in Spyro Reignited feels broken

We just get worse at gaming as we grow older.

Around the Network

I had no issue with gliding whatsoever.

I thought it worked smooth on PS4

If I loved Starfox Adventures will I love these games?

RolStoppable said:
They changed the mechanics in the remake, of the first game in particular. In the original it was very detrimental to dash before a jump because a dash jump's height was limited. In the remake it's preferable to do dash jumps because the gliding isn't as good as before anymore. Game 2 and 3 had no drawbacks for dash jumps in the original versions, but the remake's gliding is the same across all games, so distances are a little bit harder to cover; but game 2 and 3 have that move that allows to gain height at the end, so their platforming has always been easier than the first game's.

Thanks, that's helpful. So if it's giving me grief in the first game, 2 and 3 shouldn't be as much of a hassle?

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
We just get worse at gaming as we grow older.

I genuinely wondered about that, but I can't think of any other case where this has happened to me, where a core mechanic went from being second nature to constantly not working for me. It just makes more sense that its the game that has changed, and reading online it seems a lot of other folks found it a pain the arse also.

Otherwise, it's an excellent remaster; movement on the ground feels more fluid, the original art style is well preserved in the updated graphics, and the choice between remastered or original PS1 music is great to have. (nostalgic midi for the win) And thankfully there hasn't come a point so far where a frustrating glide is essential to continue the campaign. But as someone who grew up with the game, gliding just doesn't feel right.

I hope I don't end up having to quit the first game cos of this. No matter how much I try, some dragons seem totally unreachable no matter how many times I try, I've literally lost 20+ lives to single gaps. A core mechanic should not be this troublesome.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 September 2019

curl-6 said:

I hope I don't end up having to quit the first game cos of this. No matter how much I try, some dragons seem totally unreachable no matter how many times I try, I've literally lost 20+ lives to single gaps. A core mechanic should not be this troublesome.

Is it possible the Switch version is different? Because I've only played the ps4 version and the first time I died was several hours into the game.  I played tons of the original Spyro on PS1 and while PS4 gliding felt slightly different, it didn't cause me trouble. I can't imagine why you'd be having such trouble.