By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - [Update] Officially two years cancer free

curl-6 said:

My leg was itchy and when I was scratching it I could feel a subtle lump. When I pressed on it, it was tender and sent a weird feeling down to my heel like when you bump the nerve in your elbow. Went and got it checked a few days later; the doctor recommended an ultrasound. The ultrasound indicated a tumor.

You mean to tell me an itch on my leg could turn out to be cancer? Okay, that's terrifying. That's going to drive my OCD and illness phobia nuts. I see now why this affected you so much. Something that benign turning into something that potentially terrifying is nightmare fuel. I sympathize with you so much right now, dude.

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:
curl-6 said:

Dunno why I'm posting this here except that over the past 9.5 years VGC has been almost like a second online home/family for me, a special place where I feel accepted, and I wanted to give an explanation as to why my behaviour in this coming months may be a bit irrational or over the top.

So yeah, just got some unfortunate news from my doctor. The positive side is though,the prognosis is good; this particular kind of tumor most often turns out to be benign. Still, I won't know for sure if it's benign or malignant until they remove it, which could take a few weeks/months.

As someone with OCD and an intense phobia of serious illness, I'm under a huge amount of stress right now as you can imagine, and so while I'll still be posting here, I'm going to try not to participate in the kind of intense debates I usually get into in order to minimize this stress.

I apologize in advance if I lose my cool over the following months, I will try my best not to.

Thank you all for your understanding, and for just generally being an awesome community of people.

You are definitely in my thoughts. I have a similar mental illness. I felt nauseated just clicking on the thread.
I hope you pull through.

Thanks. I'm sorry if the subject matter upset you, trust me I know the feeling. If it's any consolation, what I got is very likely to turn out to be fixable.

HylianSwordsman said:
curl-6 said:

My leg was itchy and when I was scratching it I could feel a subtle lump. When I pressed on it, it was tender and sent a weird feeling down to my heel like when you bump the nerve in your elbow. Went and got it checked a few days later; the doctor recommended an ultrasound. The ultrasound indicated a tumor.

You mean to tell me an itch on my leg could turn out to be cancer? Okay, that's terrifying. That's going to drive my OCD and illness phobia nuts. I see now why this affected you so much. Something that benign turning into something that potentially terrifying is nightmare fuel. I sympathize with you so much right now, dude.

The itch had nothing to do with the tumor. The calling card was that when pressed on the lump hurt and sent a nerve zap to my foot, indicating that it was a growth pressing on a nerve. 

As someone with OCD I know this kind of talk can be terrifying but please don't freak out every time you get an itch, that bit wasn't a symptom, it was just how I first noticed it, while scratching. It was coincidental.

You'll pull through fine! We're with ya!

I'm not good at cheering people up or anything, so let's just go with this: Stay strong!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
HylianSwordsman said:

The itch had nothing to do with the tumor. The calling card was that when pressed on the lump hurt and sent a nerve zap to my foot, indicating that it was a growth pressing on a nerve. 

As someone with OCD I know this kind of talk can be terrifying but please don't freak out every time you get an itch, that bit wasn't a symptom, it was just how I first noticed it, while scratching. It was coincidental.

Well it is a good thing you caught it so early.  The sooner tumor is caught the better just like anything else health wise.  Knew a coworker that found out had brain tumor but didnt know till he started acting all weird and his roommates took him to hospital.  It was so advance that there was basically nothing he could do.  He just said fuck it and quit job.  Few months later he was gone.  He was about 50 or so years old I think.

Hopefully everything works out for you but since you caught so early I don't think you should have too much to worry about.  Still sucks but I'm sure you can pull through. 

Wish you really the best, and hope it will turn out all good

I just want to say that you've been one of my favorite users on the site since I joined in 2013, and it's great that you've stuck around. Wishing you the best!

I wish to God you are getting well soon , i pray and hope for you for the best . Stay strong and be positif. Every human has their own problem , we are all the same.

I'm curious and you don't have to tell me if you'd rather not to but where is that tumor located?

Also personally I never see doctors so they can't give me bad news, but that's just me.

I also have OCD and I loathe going to hospitals and seeing doctors. First they cost way too much money for my taste and second, they always find a way to make you take some kind of painful tests that make me totally uncomfortable. And that's when they don't want to cut you open through some surgical operation. I don't think getting cut open is natural or even something you are supposed to want.

I've never undergone surgery and I'm fine despite a doctor telling me that I must be operated cause of gall stones that hurt me bad a long time ago. When he told me that, I told him, I'm sorry but the person that it going to cut me open isn't born yet. So in short he was like: If you don't get operated you can't eat normally anymore as most foods contain fat that will hurt you really bad and also you could die if a fragment of one of those stones gets into, I don't remember where inside my body...

Well that was some 20 years ago and I'm alive and kicking, eating anything I want and haven't felt any pain again.

I won't say that doctors don't know what they're talking about but I'll say they love to get you spending money in tests and operations that make them cash in a little too easily in my opinion. I believe the human body is more resilient than people give it credit for.