By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2019: The Kansas City Chiefs Win Super Bowl LIV

Who do you believe will have a stronger defense in 2020?

Patriots 2 66.67%

Steelers 1 33.33%

Total:3

Welp, looks like we've got our jerseys set for Super Bowl 54.

As expected, the Chiefs have opted to wear red for the Super Bowl, meaning the 49ers will play in white. Incidentally, this is the first time an AFC team has worn their color jerseys in a Super Bowl since the Seahawks demolished the Broncos in SB 48 after the 2013 season. The two AFC teams to serve as "home teams" in that time, the 2015 Broncos and 2017 Patriots, both opted to wear white for superstitious reasons. Incidentally, teams wearing white have won 8 of the last 9 Super Bowls, with the 2017 Eagles being the lone exception.

Around the Network

Happy Super Bowl Monday!

Here's our final prediction week of the year. The winner will be based purely on picking the correct team, and if both players pick correctly/incorrectly, then PDT. Since it's the Super Bowl, there's no HFA this time around. If both players pick the same team by the same margin, I will notify both and allow them to change their picks. If both picks remain the same afterwards, there will not be an additional warning. In the event of a tie (both players picking the same team by the same PDT or the end PDT being right in the middle of the two predictions, Rol will be declared the winner as the higher seed).

# Username Record/PDT vs. Record/PDT Username # HFA
2 Level1Death   vs.   RolStoppable 1 N/A

As with before, PM your picks to me. 

Today’s the day.

My own personal pick since I'm not involved with the championship: Taking 49ers by 10. Chiefs have the advantage at QB and their receivers are better, but the 49ers' defense matches up favorably imo and SF is more talented everywhere else. 9ers have up second fewest yards in the season, fewest yards per play, and ranked in the top 10 in both points and turnovers forced. 49ers also gave up the fewest passing yards. Two very strong units on the field when KC has the ball.

However, when SF has the ball, it feels like a substantial mismatch in favor of the Niners. The 49er offense, while not as imposing as their defense, is still very good and highly underrated. Fourth in yards, fifth in Y/P, 2nd in points. Perhaps especially important, extremely good at running ball, with the second most rushing yards in the league, which is notable because the Chiefs' defense sucks at stopping the run (26th in rush yards allowed overall, 29th in yards allowed per rush). The Chiefs mediocre defense is a weakness that both Houston and Tennessee exploited for a while, but each team was respectively undone when Bill O'Brien lost his mind at the end of the first quarter and when KC realized that they could just load the box against Henry and Tennessee could only do so much with a meme at QB. Jimmy Garoppolo is capable of consistently picking apart single coverage if he has to, and can win the game if Kansas City essentially dares him to.

I respect Mahomes/Hill/Watkins too much to think it'll be a massive blowout, but I do see SF comfortably winning.

Gotta be better than the last SB, right?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Angelus said:
Gotta be better than the last SB, right?

It can only be better.

Remember to post in this thread during the Super Bowl, I'll do the same. With the two posts between the two of us, we'll be able to claim that this year's Super Bowl garnered more attention on VGC than last year's Super Bowl.

I'm not sure that counts if you're just posting about last year's Super Bowl.

MTZehvor said:
RolStoppable said:

It can only be better.

Remember to post in this thread during the Super Bowl, I'll do the same. With the two posts between the two of us, we'll be able to claim that this year's Super Bowl garnered more attention on VGC than last year's Super Bowl.

I'm not sure that counts if you're just posting about last year's Super Bowl.

That's why we're not counting the posts we made just now 

If Rol is rooting for the Chiefs, I'll root for the 9ers

Not particularly impressed with the 9ers D so far.

RolStoppable said:
Good start into the game, was an entertaining first quarter with two long drives.

We did it!