By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky, the comeback of the generation? NMS v2.0 reviews

Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:

You always keep waiting for Star Citizen :) I'm going to find a Korvax scientist!

You know when that game does reach it's release, it's still going to garner all kinds of hate, along with refusal or acceptance that it even reached releasing and delivering more, or what was asked. You cite DC for getting hate, which you don't think is deserved, along with NMS, but I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and assume you think it's deserved for SC, despite how the other two started out and ended up.

I'm not even sure why it was mentioned though. Wasn't Viv just talking about viewing other's creations within NMS?. 

I was merely responding to the posts after, I suck at multi quoting :)

So far it's deserved for Star Citizen since there's still not really anything coherent to play after, well I backed it before Elite Dangerous and it still says estimated delivery November 2014...

At least DC, NMS and Elite Dangerous delivered something to expand on. SC keeps expanding without delivering any core game play loop.

Around the Network
vivster said:
SvennoJ said:

These are the options for multiplayer

I don't know if turning ambient multiplayer off will also get rid of other people's claimed planets. Honestly I haven't seen any yet. You just see other people in the space anomaly station, I haven't run into anyone else yet outside it. Co-op works a treat though.

Is this space anomaly station necessary to advance?

I really don't want to see anyone in my universe. If I wanted that I'd play MMOs.

It's just a part of the many things you can do, but it is the main hub to easily get blueprints. You can always log out of psn and you won't see anyone, it will run a lot smoother as well! At least it's nothing like Elite Dangerous where about every system in a 2k light year radius from the bubble (inhabited space) has been tagged with player names, as well as most interesting stars in all the named nebula around the galaxy. It is kinda disappointing when you discover something that already has a name tag on it. Elite Dangerous can't be played off-line, NMS works perfectly fine without it.

I am really surprised there are still gamers out there defending NMS.
Being a lie and not being able to live up to the game standards are two different things and NMS failed at both.

I am not a huge fan of Angry Joe however his review of the game is spot on from a gamers perspective and links many trailers and many things Murray said before the launch of the game. Those defending NMS need to watch his video. If you are not a fan of Angry Joe, go watch one of Jim Sterling videos on YouTube, he has a library of videos about NMS.

Weather or not the game was created by a Indie Studio, a AAA studio or 3 people.. the fact the game was sold at full retail price and had Sony backing it does not mean you can lie to your audience. NMS and Hello Games lied and the proof is in the videos below. The other issue was why didn't Sony step in and ask Hello Games that can they back up there claims for this game.. of course they didn't because both Sony and Hello Games were riding the hype train and free marketing that NMS was getting and they were rolling in your pre-orders. Yes they were making lots and lots of money while making up false promises. 

Here is a short example of one of Murrays biggest lies. He claimed it is extremely rare to come across another player and even said yes to grieving other players.. that was proven impossible when two players went to the same location and stood in the same spot only to realize that the other player was completely invisible.

The game was promised to be the Star Citizen for consoles and all we got was another Minecraft in space game. Sure the planet traveling is cool and gamers can enjoy the game how it is but that doesn't excuse the point of the lies to rake in pre-orders. Yes I brought this game at launch and paid top dollar for it and was heavily disappointed. I tried playing it afew months ago and still cannot get into it. Maybe because I have Star Citizen on my mind every time I think of NMS.

Angry Joe

Jim Sterling

SvennoJ said:
Chazore said:

You know when that game does reach it's release, it's still going to garner all kinds of hate, along with refusal or acceptance that it even reached releasing and delivering more, or what was asked. You cite DC for getting hate, which you don't think is deserved, along with NMS, but I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and assume you think it's deserved for SC, despite how the other two started out and ended up.

I'm not even sure why it was mentioned though. Wasn't Viv just talking about viewing other's creations within NMS?. 

So far it's deserved for Star Citizen since there's still not really anything coherent to play after, well I backed it before Elite Dangerous and it still says estimated delivery November 2014...

At least DC, NMS and Elite Dangerous delivered something to expand on. SC keeps expanding without delivering any core game play loop.

My bad, I didn't notice you tried.

Well, you are able to play the game, albeit in an ea format. I remember I had to play Starbound in ea form for 3 and a half years until it reached 1.0, which felt like forever to me, and by then my excitement during it's start to it's 1.0 release had dwindled, this I decided after that and Conan Exiles, to not really bother supporting ea games, and instead opting to wait for other games to reach 1.0 status. 

I just feel like SC could deliver us saturn, mars and Venus, and it still will not be enough for those not interested or involved with backing the game, much like a HL3 scenario, where that too would be made to not live up to expectations. 

I'm happy to just sit and wait for it, while playing other games though. I know what it's trying to aim for, and it's something I've been wanting other AAA pubs to go for, but won't due to wanting to make more and more profit. That being said, Roberts is so very bad at managing his projects and reaching deadlines on time. You should see his movie career and how that flopped, primarily due to his poor budgeting/directing skills. 

The man has vision, but he should really just show us said vision, and let more experienced, more dedicated folk take the wheel, while he oversees the entire project from afar. 

To me, NMS just feels the same as it was during 1.0, some QoL fixes, tiny bit of optimization, but it still feels like it's go here, collect this, research that, only like SB and MC now, where you can build stuff, which is designed to keep you busy/occupied and serves no ultimate purpose outside of giving you a little entertainment. SC is what I want from those games, way more depth, way more complex AI./ I want those worlds to feel very much alive, not static pathed AI and barebones basic depth. I hope next gen ramps up AI tenfold, because if not, I'm going to be that old man going "where's my complex AI at?".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:

My bad, I didn't notice you tried.

Well, you are able to play the game, albeit in an ea format. I remember I had to play Starbound in ea form for 3 and a half years until it reached 1.0, which felt like forever to me, and by then my excitement during it's start to it's 1.0 release had dwindled, this I decided after that and Conan Exiles, to not really bother supporting ea games, and instead opting to wait for other games to reach 1.0 status. 

I just feel like SC could deliver us saturn, mars and Venus, and it still will not be enough for those not interested or involved with backing the game, much like a HL3 scenario, where that too would be made to not live up to expectations. 

I'm happy to just sit and wait for it, while playing other games though. I know what it's trying to aim for, and it's something I've been wanting other AAA pubs to go for, but won't due to wanting to make more and more profit. That being said, Roberts is so very bad at managing his projects and reaching deadlines on time. You should see his movie career and how that flopped, primarily due to his poor budgeting/directing skills. 

The man has vision, but he should really just show us said vision, and let more experienced, more dedicated folk take the wheel, while he oversees the entire project from afar. 

To me, NMS just feels the same as it was during 1.0, some QoL fixes, tiny bit of optimization, but it still feels like it's go here, collect this, research that, only like SB and MC now, where you can build stuff, which is designed to keep you busy/occupied and serves no ultimate purpose outside of giving you a little entertainment. SC is what I want from those games, way more depth, way more complex AI./ I want those worlds to feel very much alive, not static pathed AI and barebones basic depth. I hope next gen ramps up AI tenfold, because if not, I'm going to be that old man going "where's my complex AI at?".

People aren't really interested in complex AI. A couple games have tried and it either inconveniences the player (radiant AI from Oblivion, where has my quest NPC gone off to now) or makes encounters too hard for most players. Complex AI mostly goes unnoticed. The human mind is very good at detecting patterns, but sucks at noticing complex interacting systems. A lot of work for developers with little pay off.

It's the same reason climbable ledges are subtly or less subtly marked, resources always look the same and environments stay predictable. (got to have those chest high walls :/)

What games need is an AI director to notice what keeps you interested and dynamically adjusts the game based on that. Procedural games that read your mind and provide the right variation and challenge for each player. We are still far away from that though.

I'm all for living enduring worlds though. If you settle on a planet it should at least have seasons and react to the effect of multiple suns. Rivers swelling after rain, tides coming in, tidal bore, snow, ice jams and trees actually growing. There's still so much to do to make worlds fully interactive. Yet it mostly comes down to data storage and speed of storage. From dust is what I want for entire worlds, yet our current slow and limited data storage makes that impossible. Static procedural worlds is where we are at. SC's city planet looks very cool but is ultimately the same. I want the landscape to change when I fly over a planet, not be the same wherever you land. Exploring an alien planet should involve more than checking out a square kilometer before moving on to the next planet.

I'll keep dreaming for now. SC is not going to revolutionize living worlds either. For now I'm happily playing NMS again. I'll get bored of it again, fire up ED again for a while, get bored, go back to GTS sport mode.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

People aren't really interested in complex AI. A couple games have tried and it either inconveniences the player (radiant AI from Oblivion, where has my quest NPC gone off to now) or makes encounters too hard for most players. Complex AI mostly goes unnoticed. The human mind is very good at detecting patterns, but sucks at noticing complex interacting systems. A lot of work for developers with little pay off.

It's the same reason climbable ledges are subtly or less subtly marked, resources always look the same and environments stay predictable. (got to have those chest high walls :/)

What games need is an AI director to notice what keeps you interested and dynamically adjusts the game based on that. Procedural games that read your mind and provide the right variation and challenge for each player. We are still far away from that though.

I'm all for living enduring worlds though. If you settle on a planet it should at least have seasons and react to the effect of multiple suns. Rivers swelling after rain, tides coming in, tidal bore, snow, ice jams and trees actually growing. There's still so much to do to make worlds fully interactive. Yet it mostly comes down to data storage and speed of storage. From dust is what I want for entire worlds, yet our current slow and limited data storage makes that impossible. Static procedural worlds is where we are at. SC's city planet looks very cool but is ultimately the same. I want the landscape to change when I fly over a planet, not be the same wherever you land. Exploring an alien planet should involve more than checking out a square kilometer before moving on to the next planet.

I'll keep dreaming for now. SC is not going to revolutionize living worlds either. For now I'm happily playing NMS again. I'll get bored of it again, fire up ED again for a while, get bored, go back to GTS sport mode.

People are interested, otherwise we wouldn't be making strides to create different AI that serve different purposes at this time.

The only people not interested are those who either do not care for interacting with AI, or seeking new technological advancements. 

The AI in Oblivion was more or less devised to appear as if it was something complex, when really it was pre-coded random paths for which the game chose to present you. I don't really see Bethesda, the most incapable of devs, having creating some "living" AI, since the radiant didn't even display much complexity, outside of appearing random, but when you look at it, it was the game jumbling different choices/paths, to then have said choices/paths find the player and interact, but only you, since you were the agent that could control what was going on within the game.

AN AI director also serves a similar function, in that it observes your progression, and is then instructed to interact with you, via making your life difficult or easier, never really reaching out to you personally, in a more meaningful way, that isn't "X enemies are stronger/more in number". Take L4D's Director, it simply chose to make things more hectic or sparse for you, that was literally all it could do, and nothing more.

Have you ever thought as something so complex, as an AI that becomes self aware?. We dream of it via films like Terminator, and that's the sort of AI I want, not some director that's told to do only two things, or one that is jumbled like some rubix cube, in order to appear different on the outside, but static in nature on the inside.

Personally, I find what SC is doing as a small step, but a bigger step than what other AAA games are offering, especially in terms of interaction types and massive worlds. At least leaving an entering a planet in that game looks and feels more immersive, while NMS's one is simply a transition moment, but one that is very brief.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

People are interested, otherwise we wouldn't be making strides to create different AI that serve different purposes at this time.

The only people not interested are those who either do not care for interacting with AI, or seeking new technological advancements. 

The AI in Oblivion was more or less devised to appear as if it was something complex, when really it was pre-coded random paths for which the game chose to present you. I don't really see Bethesda, the most incapable of devs, having creating some "living" AI, since the radiant didn't even display much complexity, outside of appearing random, but when you look at it, it was the game jumbling different choices/paths, to then have said choices/paths find the player and interact, but only you, since you were the agent that could control what was going on within the game.

AN AI director also serves a similar function, in that it observes your progression, and is then instructed to interact with you, via making your life difficult or easier, never really reaching out to you personally, in a more meaningful way, that isn't "X enemies are stronger/more in number". Take L4D's Director, it simply chose to make things more hectic or sparse for you, that was literally all it could do, and nothing more.

Have you ever thought as something so complex, as an AI that becomes self aware?. We dream of it via films like Terminator, and that's the sort of AI I want, not some director that's told to do only two things, or one that is jumbled like some rubix cube, in order to appear different on the outside, but static in nature on the inside.

Personally, I find what SC is doing as a small step, but a bigger step than what other AAA games are offering, especially in terms of interaction types and massive worlds. At least leaving an entering a planet in that game looks and feels more immersive, while NMS's one is simply a transition moment, but one that is very brief.

Most of my interests are towards AI, I have studied the then emerging subject in university and read sci fi about it all the time. However why would a self aware AI be interested in keeping you entertained. What you want to make is an AI to replace the good old dungeon master with the ability to put new adventures and environments together to make you part of a story that interests you. Self awareness only gets in the way of that imo, plus what being self aware actually means or if it means anything is still a mystery. Actually conscious thoughts usually get in the way of performing well in certain games. Thinking about taking the next corner in a racing game usually screws me up. Got to get in the 'zone', let your subconscious do the work and enjoy the results.

Games are designed to interact with the player. In a mmorpg you don't really bother to find out what the other 1000 people on the server are doing, you just go on by yourself or a small group and now and then see others running by. Why make complex AI to simulate the lives of all the people in the game if they just get ignored 99% of the time. It's cool for simcity to say that every citizen has it's own objectives, own paths and you can follow them on their way. That quickly gets boring. I'm glad I can summon my freighter at any time in nms instead of having to track it down, find a way to meet up with it etc.

Anyway different pace. Elite Dangerous does approaching planets very well. Which also makes it a lot of work to meet up with people on a planet. It's hard to strike the right balance between simulation and game play. KSP is even better for simulation, yet without time acceleration it would be unplayable.

For now Elite dangerous for realism

And truly feeling alone in the Galaxy. However finding a world with scraps of life or geological activity can take days of playing, flying from system to system, scanning everything until you detect traces of something interesting. And as you see, I stopped bothering to find a landing spot and hop in the rover since you can scan from the ship just as easily. After a while it becomes a game of finding screenshot opportunities in a sea of uninteresting barren planets.

NMS goes the opposite, every planet is interesting. Which kinda makes traveling somewhere pointless. There's no flying somewhere to get a good shot of a nebula and a ringed gas giant in the sky at night. It happens so often it takes the wonder away.

Running around in NMS does feel more fun than driving around in the rover in Elite dangerous.

Would NMS still be fun if you spend days finding an earth like planet, take half an hour to land carefully to then do what exactly? Movies can't even do exploration very well, it never takes long until the guns come out :/

I wish I had the time to go into detail, but I've really been enjoying it. Started 10 days ago and have a lot of time logged already. Find I can play it for longer stretches than I can with most other games. TBH, I find it almost disturbingly addictive. Totally wrecked myself, twice, playing till' around 3-4 AM when I needed to get to bed. That kind of occurrence is not common.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I already passed my previous play time of 80 hours in my new save and still have so many things I want to try and find out.

The only negatives I have is that the controls are pretty bad in VR. Immersion is amazing, graphics are good enough, yet for some reason the range of the mining beam is much shorter in VR and you can't use R1 (slam) plus X, to jump forward and glide along at high speed with the jet pack. Pressing X twice for the normal jump forward works but is not as fast, nor effective due to using more fuel and sending you back to the ground. Scanning is bloody difficult in VR due to controller drift and pressing R2 usually makes you lose the target since it's so sensitive. The DS4 continually drifts and needs to be shaken frequently to get the mining beam to point back forward.

Perhaps it works better with move but I would really like to have the exact same controls as without VR, with only the option to aim where you look. Don't fix what aint broken, why do devs always have to change control schemes for VR! Walking around with move still has me traumatized from other games, no thanks. It's also a shame you can't switch from VR to screen and back quickly, that requires the game to restart afaik and thus sit through the long loading screen again. So despite it being amazing in VR, I mostly play it on the tv :/ Control > immersion sadly.

VR first tonight. I'm currently on my freighter and have to figure out which frigate is damaged and fix it then find a Vy'keen weapons expert. Yet back to tv when I have to scan or mine again. It's too painful trying to aim with a DS4, let me aim with my head!

I must say, this game is absolutely terrible on PSVR. IMO, it is unplayable. It's waaayyy too blurry. They should not have launched a VR mode for PS if that's the best it can be.