By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky, the comeback of the generation? NMS v2.0 reviews

mZuzek said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

That's quite a blatant denial of reality right there. You can like and enjoy a game while still acknowledging it's faults, there's no need to defend it just cause you bought it.

I'm not defending it from the backlash it received, I'm saying it deserved it. I've enjoyed this game while acknowledging it's faults since forever. And I'm not in denial over anything right now. All I'm saying is that the promises that were made prior to this game's release, have now been fulfilled, so technically they weren't lies because I don't think they ever specified that those promises were gonna be in the vanilla version. Obviously, everyone expected that the game they bought at launch would have those things, because that was what the promises implied, but they never explicitly said it'd happen - for being unclear about the state of the product they were releasing and selling it based on hype created over promises of content they didn't have at the time, they do deserve the backlash they got.

They also deserve a bare minimum of respect for having doubled down on their game and fixing all the issues people had with it. Is it the right way to go over releasing a game? No, absolutely not. What they did was wrong. But you know, they could've just left their game as it was back then, saving themselves loads of money, time and effort. People had already bought it anyway, right? That would've been a lot worse, but they didn't do that. You can say that's the least they should've done, and I agree to an extent, but there are a lot of companies out there who don't do even that much.

Do you have a source for this? As far as I remember they never specified they had plans for there to be anything more than a vanilla version. I could only agree with your logic here if this is true. I realize it's just semantics whether we wanna say it was an outright lie or technically not. You clearly understand that what they did was shady and that's good enough for me! I guess I'm more vindictive, I don't want to give the slightest impression that what they did is ok by saying they were truthful in the end.

I don't recall them ever apologizing, only going radio silent for months after the game launched, so I have no respect for them, but I can respect those that still do. No denying that it's better to fix the game later than never at all, but I still don't want to give them praise so as to not encourage a repeat.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
I don't care how much the game has changed over time. I don't care how good it is now. This is what happened: Hello Games lied to everyone about what the game was gonna be and how it was constructed. Not only that, but they launched the game in a very poor state, with tons of bugs, uneven performance and more. That was in 2016. Well, 2019 is 4 months away from ending and we still haven't heard a single apology from Sean Murray or Hello Games as a whole. In fact, the only declarations they released over the last months basically said that we the consumers and the press are very bad persons because we judge a game too early.

I'm sorry, but these people don't deserve a fucking penny. They are among the worst of the industry, and if it were for me, I wouldn't allow Hello Games to create another game ever again.

That being said, I'm glad that the people who payed for it at release can now get something closer to what they initially promised.

All I can say is thank all the gods you have zero power in the industry and it's not up to you. 

It would be a crappy world if people couldn't move forward.  I'll judge the next game they make based on its own merits and I hope it's great because great games are more important to me than feelings of spite.

mZuzek said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Contradicting yourself aside, there is simply no excuse for what Hello Games did. That they chose not to be honest and upfront is purely on them.

It's not technically a lie. There is a middle-term between being completely honest and upfront or being a liar, and it's a middle-term just about every company ever is very happy to dance in. Welcome to capitalism.

So what if it failed at launch? Do you honestly think they would've kept going updating the game for three years to fulfill the promise?

Vodacixi said:
Zoombael said:

And i say: If you believed the would launch in any different state than it did, then its your own goddamn fault. 

Neither was surprising. Not the condition NMS launched in, nor the community reaction.

What the hell did people expect from a little indie studio. With at the time i think 15 employees. An epic space opera saga. Right.

I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I think i never played a more tediously boring game. And people praising HG for redeeming themselves. Oy...

So, the fault is on us for believing what they said they would do and for expect a technical quality on par with they show on trailers. Ok, better let you enjoy your topsy turvy version of common sense.

"Believing". You knew they couldnt deliever. You should ve known. Everybody should ve known, but the press and the community chose to stay oblivious to the fact that some dozen weak backyard indie developer on a limited budget, within 3 years time span cannot develop the sci fi space adventure of your dreams and anyone who believed they could AND pre ordered/bought at release was a fool to do so. 

No one was forced by anyone to buy the game at release without reading reviews. Who the hell does that in this day and age? I do when i know exaclty what to expect, in content and quality. RE2R for example.

As ive mentioned, i ve bought NMS couple of weeks ago. I didnt expect much, not because of all the negativ hubbub. I naturally dont expect much from indie devs. I invested 10h into it and i got nowhere. Dead end after dead end, combined with the hardcore excessive obligatory grind/mining and i was done. How anyone can deem this good gaming is beyond me. My job has more entertainment value than NMS.

Hunting Season is done...

DonFerrari said:
Nautilus said:
No Mans Lie managed to turn out to be a "decent" game only because of all the money they basically stole from the people that bought the game expecting to be something utterly different.

I honestly think this one of the saddest gaming story of the last years, one that incentivizes to lie through your teeths in order to secure the early sales, only to actually develop the game later.

sky citizen doublés it down

Well yeah.But this one is on the gamers.While on No Mans Lie they paid once because they thought they were receiveing something different, in Star Citizen case they just kept payed while knowing they were being played.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
DonFerrari said:

sky citizen doublés it down

Well yeah.But this one is on the gamers.While on No Mans Lie they paid once because they thought they were receiveing something different, in Star Citizen case they just kept payed while knowing they were being played.

I would tend to agree. Even more because on NMS people recognize they were lied to (even if they forgive and forget), but in Star Citizen we have seem people still defending and saying they are receiving what they paid for.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wow there are people who will still defend Murray on his lies and blame gamers lol.

Anyways good on them for continuing to improve the game.

vivster said:
Is it possible to play the game without seeing other players' claimed planets and creations?

These are the options for multiplayer

I don't know if turning ambient multiplayer off will also get rid of other people's claimed planets. Honestly I haven't seen any yet. You just see other people in the space anomaly station, I haven't run into anyone else yet outside it. Co-op works a treat though.

I'm already 40 hours into the Beyond update. I started a new save yet using my old 80 hour save from launch for resources for my 10 year old. It's not hard to collect them yourselves but kids are lazy nowadays :) It's actually a lot easier to make money than at launch, but also a lot more to spend the various currencies on.

I'm surprised the game is still getting hate, it was the same with DriveClub. I didn't hesitate one second to buy another copy of the game for co-op play, fully deserved imo. There are plenty 60 dollar (currently 90 in Canada) games I get bored of after a few hours.... This game continues to wow me, on flat tv as well as in VR. Yes, it's still buggy, glitchy, drops frames, loses co-op connection, flat out crashes (about once every 10 hours so far) but what other game lets you drill a hole into the ground to shelter from a fire storm to continue tunneling to your next objective.

It's all busy work or grinding in the end, yet also very relaxing, much less stressful and less tedious than Elite Dangerous. Elite Dangerous is a lot more realistic, which also means one earth like planet in 50 systems which you still can't land on, while most airless planets (you can land on) are simple barren rock worlds with much less variation in 'structures'. The draw of ED is the realistic version of the galaxy, the draw of NMS is something different in every system. In ED you set course for a nebula to explore and the sky changes depending on where you are in the galaxy while in NMS travel seems rather pointless. The sky is the star in ED, the planets are the star in NMS.

You always keep waiting for Star Citizen :) I'm going to find a Korvax scientist!

SvennoJ said:

You always keep waiting for Star Citizen :) I'm going to find a Korvax scientist!

You know when that game does reach it's release, it's still going to garner all kinds of hate, along with refusal or acceptance that it even reached releasing and delivering more, or what was asked. You cite DC for getting hate, which you don't think is deserved, along with NMS, but I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and assume you think it's deserved for SC, despite how the other two started out and ended up.

I'm not even sure why it was mentioned though. Wasn't Viv just talking about viewing other's creations within NMS?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

SvennoJ said:
vivster said:
Is it possible to play the game without seeing other players' claimed planets and creations?

These are the options for multiplayer

I don't know if turning ambient multiplayer off will also get rid of other people's claimed planets. Honestly I haven't seen any yet. You just see other people in the space anomaly station, I haven't run into anyone else yet outside it. Co-op works a treat though.

Is this space anomaly station necessary to advance?

I really don't want to see anyone in my universe. If I wanted that I'd play MMOs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.