By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [UPDATE] [EPIC] Rocket League will remove gambling from the game later this year

vivster said:

It's a step in the right direction and it's all thanks to Epic's money. That's why hail epic in this particular instance, because it would most likely not have happened otherwise.

We don't know the new system yet but if it's just "buy what you see" I'm completely fine with it, considering RL's scope and their efforts towards esports.

BTW RL does have unlocks via progression.

Yes but without the pass, players could just naturally unlock what they want via challenges, progressions and chevvo unlocks, like the old days. Paying a pass still means getting a load of stuff you don't exactly want, and then buying things separately becomes a MT onto itself, which doesn't do away with the issue entirely. 

Again, why not do the right thing and make them free to unlock via various methods within the game. The pass model is already setting itself up to being a bad model because it's not a one size fits all approach, and it's certainly put me off any game that includes it. 

It would have been possible beforehand, due to the money the devs had already made over the years. The fact they need to upgrade it to a season pass shows they want to make more money from fools wanting something now, rather than via natural progression. 

All this proves is that some devs & pubs are taking notice of the "I want it all and now" crowd, and trying to catch them and a few along the way, hence the changes in models over the years. If you haven't noticed this, I'd suggest taking a further look into the years of transaction practices within this industry over the past 10+ years. 

COKTOE said:
Chazore said:
Hail Epic for resorting to the pass model?

Why not just allow for unlocks via progression, cheevos and general points earned?. Those are all completely free and require no extra dosh to spend and aren't [predatory either.

Oh come on Chazore.

Just watch me try.

Last edited by Chazore - on 06 August 2019

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

This is more likely to address laws in several countries against loot boxes, not them being nice guys.

Well I'm certainly not going to "hail Epic", but this is definitely good news, and I will thank God for Jim. He called this bullshit out just yesterday.

Hopefully they'll purge my inventory of the infernal things. They just take up space.

thismeintiel said:
This is more likely to address laws in several countries against loot boxes, not them being nice guys.

Duh.

CaptainExplosion said:
Now if only they can stop fucking up the PC gaming scene and stop with the Fortnite bullshit.

I mean I can almost understand what you mean with PC gaming, even though they have barely touched it at all, but what's up with Fortnite?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

That is actually is pretty good of them to do.

So if they are improving that, will they stop making games exclusive? I don't want to play those exclusive games using the Epic store, I think it's an inferior platform.

Last edited by OTBWY - on 07 August 2019

OTBWY said:

So if they are improving that, will they stop making games exclusive? I don't want to play those exclusive games using the Epic store, I think it's an inferior platform.

Maybe one day it'll be superior because it has no gambling while steam still does.

But I agree, it is pretty shitty to lock games behind a terrible platform.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
thismeintiel said:

Duh.

CaptainExplosion said:
Now if only they can stop fucking up the PC gaming scene and stop with the Fortnite bullshit.

I mean I can almost understand what you mean with PC gaming, even though they have barely touched it at all, but what's up with Fortnite?

Well, I duh your duh, so ha.

vivster said:
OTBWY said:

Maybe one day it'll be superior because it has no gambling while steam still does.

But I agree, it is pretty shitty to lock games behind a terrible platform.

Indeed, the Epic store is terrible. Glad you agree.

However, it's good that as you mentioned in your first sentence that one day it might be better. In that sense, competition is what will better the services. As such, exclusive content is what the business must have to grow and pull in users to actually use it in the first place. So in a way, you should support that while wanting a better platform since you agree that the Epic store is terrible.