By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DreamcastGuy - Is the NEW Nintendo Switch Worth the Price? - Unboxing/Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKsuTEZ_1B8

For those intrested, if its just longer battery life?

TL:DR =
DreamcastGuy seems to think, you get ~5-10% better performance, which in some games help it keep dynamic resolutions slightly better.
Also loading some of the bigger games, seems to go ~0,5s faster or so (very slight, barely worth mentioning).
Joycon's seem more abit "sturdy" and "heavy", he speculates Nintendo might have done so, in hopes of preventing the drift issue.
battery life? his old Switch would last like ~2,5 hours in BoTW, while the new one almost did 6hours.

Anyone here with a Switch planning to upgrade?

Around the Network

Eh... I'll wait for someone with any evidence/numbers that there is a performance boost. He just seems to be saying the dynamic resolution looks "10%" better to his eyeballs. Could easily just be psychological.

It's tempting alone for the battery live. I carry around a loader if needed but a charge level would mean no loading untill home.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

for those dissapointed its "the same switch", and not a Switch pro.....

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAehj2GX__0

I have no need to upgrade for battery life alone. My OG Switch gets 10 to 13 hours with my Anker battery bank (official licensed one) and that is more than enough time for me. It seems like a solid upgrade though for those buying their first Switch and want the ability to dock it and take it on the go.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Video is stupid. Just made up crap, basically.

As for the Switch, it certainly doesn't make sense for the average owner to upgrade. As others have already said, it just means new Switch owners get a product with more reasonable battery life. I can't see it doing much to drive sales.

OK time to buy Switch. That's why people who is patiently waiting always be the winner.

Some of his terminology is flat-out incorrect... There is also a ton of assertions thrown around in the video without the appropriate empirical evidence to back it up.
Wait for Digital Foundry for performance/resolution numbers, their approach is far more credible and scientific on this front.

On the battery life issue, that is interesting. - Doubling of battery life in a worst case scenario (Breath of the Wold 2.5 > 5 hours) is nothing to sneeze at... The irony is, we could have had this kind of battery life on the Switch's release if Nintendo opted for a Tegra X2 anyway.

Console could have a price drop now though, it's cheaper to produce thanks to the smaller SoC. - Will Nintendo do it? Or will they bank the extra profits?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Some of his terminology is flat-out incorrect... There is also a ton of assertions thrown around in the video without the appropriate empirical evidence to back it up.
Wait for Digital Foundry for performance/resolution numbers, their approach is far more credible and scientific on this front.

On the battery life issue, that is interesting. - Doubling of battery life in a worst case scenario (Breath of the Wold 2.5 > 5 hours) is nothing to sneeze at... The irony is, we could have had this kind of battery life on the Switch's release if Nintendo opted for a Tegra X2 anyway.

Console could have a price drop now though, it's cheaper to produce thanks to the smaller SoC. - Will Nintendo do it? Or will they bank the extra profits?

The only thing I would question about his battery life increase... is how much of an improvement is that over his old Switch because it has been used for the last 2 years? I know for a fact that my launch day Switch battery now lasts around 10+% less than it did before and I've even noticed that the battery is slower to charge especially if the system is under load playing 3d games while charging it almost doesn't go up at all.

It's sort of like if you would compare this years Ford Focus to last years model.... but a version of last years model which has been owned by some boy racer who has been doing doughnuts for the last 365 days... I think results would favour the car which wasn't beaten to shit, same could be happening with the person in the videos Switch battery life.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive