By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or Xbox Scarlet will probably price around 499 to 549 USD

Tagged games:

What do you think

Time to quit gaming 4 10.00%

Life must go on 8 20.00%

This price is cheap 0 0%

I need to sell my kidney 2 5.00%

I am willing to pay for the sake of gaming 8 20.00%

I don't care about price ... 18 45.00%

Total:40
Radek said:

People buy expensive phones but refuse to pay 499$ or more on a gaming console that will last 6-7 years, and then they complain "this generation is too weak!" lmao

but but but cellphones do much more things and I can have a discount by paying an overpriced plan.

That is a discussion you will never see the end of in VGC.

People normalize 1k USD every 2 years for a phone that cost 300 USD to make but complain a 600 USD PS3 that cost 800 USD to make.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I'm expecting $449-$499. I usually wait a few months to a year before I hop on a new gen, anyway, just so things are ironed out on the new HW. So, there may be a price cut by then. Even if not, I'll still pick one up, since i'm going to sell my Pro to go towards it. And considering it's going to be a beast, it'll be well worth it. 

Radek said:

People buy expensive phones but refuse to pay 499$ or more on a gaming console that will last 6-7 years, and then they complain "this generation is too weak!" lmao

The $400 price point is the sweet spot for phones right now and is seeing the largest growth, even as other price points are in decline/stagnant.

But yeah, higher price, better hardware... The hardware will get cheaper over time anyway, if you can't afford a console on release... Well. That's life.

Barkley said:
RX 5700 on Amazon - $350
Ryzen 5 3600 on Amazon - $199

The cheapest ZEN 2 CPU and Navi GPU available for PC's, (that's also a 6 core CPU, while the PS5/Scarlett will have 8 core CPU's) and the total comes to $549. Of course they don't cost that much to make, and the PS5/Scarlett APU's will be cheaper to make then these individual parts too and the console don't need to have a large, or even any, profit margin. But add in the cost of HDD, SSD, Optical Drive, Controller, Wifi/Bluetooth, Case, PSU...

There's no way these machines could be less than $499 without absolutely haemorrhaging money or being a lot less powerful than anticipated.

PC is a bit different.

On a console... The CPU and GPU will be a single chip, or at-least a single package.
There won't be dedicated DRAM for the GPU or System memory, power delivery will handle the entire system... Rather than separate for the GPU/System.

And of course, the console manufacturers can buy in bulk... AMD won't be trying to garner a 61% profit on all chips sold for example.

That reduces costs for consoles significantly.
Although there may be some disruption in the NAND and DRAM markets which might make things difficult in the future, but we aren't privy to those supply contracts, so it might be a fixed costs regardless.

Either way.... $399 wasn't going to happen once we knew what the systems were running with... Over a year for the devices to start dropping, so start saving.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Going by the current trend of the gaming industry, the console will be no more expensive than $400, but will contain lootboxes to win performance tokens for 720p, 1080p and 4k. There will also be a 0.001% chance to get a free month of Plus.

And people will praise it because the console is still cheap and the lootboxes are totally optional.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Going by the current trend of the gaming industry, the console will be no more expensive than $400, but will contain lootboxes to win performance tokens for 720p, 1080p and 4k. There will also be a 0.001% chance to get a free month of Plus.

And people will praise it because the console is still cheap and the lootboxes are totally optional.

You know... I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

$499.99-$599.99 is inevitable for the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett given their specs and industry trends.

I do think the consoles will probably launch with just one SKU. PS3 didn't do well at all for years, even if there was a model that was $499.99 at launch instead of $599.99.

People will buy the consoles as long as they have enough features and games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I get the feeling it's will be easier to accept a high price if both of them are at a similar price-point

I mean, if they’re $500-$550, I’m not even gonna bother unless they have some compelling exclusives.

The next Halo game is cross-gen, so that’s one big reason for me to not even bother with Scarlett right now. Given how long it took for PS4’s exclusive software to really get going, I feel content simply waiting a few years, until there’s more software available and the price is lower.

I guess 500$ as a launch price is a safe bet for both consoles. Can't see it being lower than that considering the known specs. Doesn't really matter for me personally as I doubt I will be getting both consoles at launch if any at all.

melbye said:
I get the feeling it's will be easier to accept a high price if both of them are at a similar price-point

I do believe both will be similar priced and you are right when saying that would diminish the perception of high cost if they end up being both 500.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."