By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Outer Worlds announced for Switch

Virtuous are the developers who ported Dark Souls Remastered and LA Noire to the Switch. Will be interesting to see what they can do when they're not porting a remaster of a PS3/360 era game. Though they did do the Starlink port. But Outer Worlds will be by far there most ambitious port to the Switch.

Other than Witcher 3 it might be the most ambitious port to date.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Virtuous are the developers who ported Dark Souls Remastered and LA Noire to the Switch. Will be interesting to see what they can do when they're not porting a remaster of a PS3/360 era game. Though they did do the Starlink port. But Outer Worlds will be by far there most ambitious port to the Switch.

Other than Witcher 3 it might be the most ambitious port to date.

Didn't realize they did the Starlink port, that's encouraging.  Will be interested to see how that turns out.

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

They say that because PS2 had a mountain of 3rd party exclusives, and Xbox had a large 3rd party exclusive library as well. What those people don't get is that Nintendo's crappy mini-disks were preventing the lion's share of those 3rd party PS2 exclusives from being on it. Had Nintendo had disks that could have held the entire games without disk swapping those games would have come to GC. And those 3rd party Xbox exclusives were made for PC and easily ported to Xbox, because Xbox was basically a computer like most modern consoles. 

That's just outright wrong because most games during that generation didn't even exceed file sizes of 1.5 GB. And those that did, could have been reduced in size to make them fit on a single disc if two discs were not wanted.

The primary reason why Nintendo didn't get those PS2 exclusives is that Japanese developers at large were not interested in doing multiplatform releases, hence why the Xbox missed out on much of the same games. American and European publishers have had a multiplat approach since ages, but the only thing that could change the Japanese stance was the failure of the PS3. During 2007 and 2008 there was hardly any month without news that an exclusive in development for the PS3 was going to go multiplat.

When you look at games with lower development costs, exclusivity of Japanese games remained much longer and was common on the 3DS up until the end of its life. If it's financially feasible to develop for only a single platform, then that's still what Japanese developers prefer.

The following info may not be entirely correct, but it is about as close as I'm going to get without downloading a bunch of emulator files. If somebody could post official file sizes from an emulator site, I'd appreciate it. For now I'll just serve this up as a mostly correct example. 

3.27 GB - Arc The Lad Twilight of the Spirits
2.06 GB - Atelier Iris 3
2.46 GB - Devil may Cry 1
4.08 GB - Devil may Cry 3 SE
3.89 GB - Dragon Quest VIII
1.80 GB - Dynasty Warriors 3
4.19 GB - Final Fantasy X
3.70 GB - Final Fantasy X-2
3.81 GB - Guilty gear Isuka
2.83 GB - Kingdom Hearts
3.67 GB - Kingdom Hearts II
4.30 GB - Metal Gear Solid 2 
4.22 GB - Metal Gear Solid 3 
4.28 GB - Radiata Stories
3.13 GB - Rogue Galaxy
2.94 GB - SMT Devil Summoner RK vs SA
4.00 GB - Suikoden 3
4.06 GB - Suikoden 4
4.19 GB - Suikoden 5
4.33 GB - Valkyrie Profile 2
2.49 GB - Wild ARMs 3
4.15 GB - Wild ARMs 4
4.03 GB - Wild ARMs 5
3.96 GB - Xenosaga I

Xbox missed out on so many of the same games, because Xbox pretty much didn't exist in Japan, and only sold something like 25 million worldwide. 

Gamecube's mini disk sizes had another effect on games though. People bought a PS2 because it could play DVDs. The mini-disk made it pretty much impossible to play DVDs on GC. That in turn hurt GC sales, which hurt 3rd party support. Had the GC sold 40 million instead it might have gotten more of those 3rd party PS2 exclusives. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 30 July 2019

Cerebralbore101 said:

The following info may not be entirely correct, but it is about as close as I'm going to get without downloading a bunch of emulator files. If somebody could post official file sizes from an emulator site, I'd appreciate it. For now I'll just serve this up as a mostly correct example. 

3.27 GB - Arc The Lad Twilight of the Spirits
2.06 GB - Atelier Iris 3
2.46 GB - Devil may Cry 1
4.08 GB - Devil may Cry 3 SE
3.89 GB - Dragon Quest VIII
1.80 GB - Dynasty Warriors 3
4.19 GB - Final Fantasy X
3.70 GB - Final Fantasy X-2
3.81 GB - Guilty gear Isuka
2.83 GB - Kingdom Hearts
3.67 GB - Kingdom Hearts II
4.30 GB - Metal Gear Solid 2 
4.22 GB - Metal Gear Solid 3 
4.28 GB - Radiata Stories
3.13 GB - Rogue Galaxy
2.94 GB - SMT Devil Summoner RK vs SA
4.00 GB - Suikoden 3
4.06 GB - Suikoden 4
4.19 GB - Suikoden 5
4.33 GB - Valkyrie Profile 2
2.49 GB - Wild ARMs 3
4.15 GB - Wild ARMs 4
4.03 GB - Wild ARMs 5
3.96 GB - Xenosaga I

Xbox missed out on so many of the same games, because Xbox pretty much didn't exist in Japan, and only sold something like 25 million worldwide. 

Gamecube's mini disk sizes had another effect on games though. People bought a PS2 because it could play DVDs. The mini-disk made it pretty much impossible to play DVDs on GC. That in turn hurt GC sales, which hurt 3rd party support. Had the GC sold 40 million instead it might have gotten more of those 3rd party PS2 exclusives. 

Just something you should know take game sizes on PS2 with a pinch of salt for example the are multiplatform titles like Timesplitters which where bigger in size on PS2 despite not taking up a lot of space GC we also have cases like GTA3 which was a gig or so on PS2 despite only taking up 500 or so MB on PC.

Cool I was lookinf forward to this game. Now not sure if I will get on switch or ps4

Around the Network

Going to wait for some reviews on this. Fallout: New Vegas was kind of a mess with a lot of badly thought-out "RPG systems" that took away player freedom. It was like they shoehorned in everything they could think of without regard to how well it worked. Hopefully, this will be more refined and intelligent.

RolStoppable said:

There's a thing called the Panasonic Q which was a GC with the ability to play DVDs. It sold much worse than the Xbox in Japan.

By the way, you are acting oddly forgiving for the Xbox. In your first post you mentioned Xbox third party exclusives and then pointed out that they weren't exclusives because they were ported from the PC. In the recent post you excuse the Xbox's lack of games with its low sales, but apparently that didn't matter for the GC. Instead you try to put the blame for low GC sales on its storage medium. You've hung out too much in PS-centric forums if you believe that the storage medium has that much importance. It's not an uncommon belief; after all, the vast majority believes that the Nintendo 64 would have gotten Final Fantasy VII if it had used CDs as storage medium, but the reality is that Sony paid off Squaresoft and that would have happened regardless of the storage medium that the Nintendo 64 used.

$377 dollars for a Panasonic Q though. 

Yeah my bad. Those weren't Xbox exclusives. No excuse for lack of games on Xbox. Just an explanation. OG Xbox wasn't a very good system. Lack of games and all that. 

Low sales cause lack of games, and vice versa. Never been to a Sony-Only forums. Been a Nintendo fan since the N64 and only got a PS2 in late 2005. 

Sony paid off Squaresoft? Source? 

pokoko said:
Going to wait for some reviews on this. Fallout: New Vegas was kind of a mess with a lot of badly thought-out "RPG systems" that took away player freedom. It was like they shoehorned in everything they could think of without regard to how well it worked. Hopefully, this will be more refined and intelligent.

I think Obsidian has learned since then. Now, if only the Switch version would come complete on cart, and not be a Half-Cart Half-Download title. 

Seems promising! I'll be supporting this title on Switch day 1!

1doesnotsimply

Cerebralbore101 said:
pokoko said:

I think Obsidian has learned since then. Now, if only the Switch version would come complete on cart, and not be a Half-Cart Half-Download title. 

Maybe.  Only recent game of theirs that I've played is Pillars of Eternity, which was relatively generic.  I can barely remember it and haven't bothered with the second game.  What I remember about it most was that it was very unintuitive and rough.