By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I see now what Nintendo's plan was when they entered Switch mid console cycle for PS4XBONE

JRPGfan said:
zorg1000 said:

Super & Advance individually are fine, I dont think many people were confused during the NES to Super NES or Gameboy to GB Advance transitions.

Back then things where more simple, a new product = new gen.
Now theres mid gen refresh, add-on items bareing the console name (or consumers assumeing such, with say WiiU).
"new" = slightly bigger screen ect.

The messageing now, is very differnt from what it was back then.
Nintendo themselves havnt kept to a nameing scheme that ll make things easy for consumers to understand.

Basically its silly at this point, its just alot more impactfull and simple, to just stick with a console name and add a number to it.

Sure it was more simple back then but with the huge amount of ways to get a message across nowadays there should be no issue with "Super" as long as you have a competent marketing/advertising team.

This isnt a Wii U situation where the marketing was awful during those years and "U" doesnt mean anything to begin with.

Most consumers are smart enough to understand that Super Switch would be a new console if they advertised/marketed it as such.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

Sure it was more simple back then but with the huge amount of ways to get a message across nowadays there should be no issue with "Super" as long as you have a competent marketing/advertising team.

This isnt a Wii U situation where the marketing was awful during those years and "U" doesnt mean anything to begin with.

Most consumers are smart enough to understand that Super Switch would be a new console if they advertised/marketed it as such.

Wii meant we, but the hardcore gamer felt left out. That's why U meant you, the hardcore gamer. Hence why Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Batman and others were used as reasons to buy a Wii U.

I'm aware of that, I mean that the word super has an actual definition so adding Super to the title is self explanatory. U in itself means nothing so adding U to the end of a title adds nothing of value to the consumer.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
JRPGfan said:

Back then things where more simple, a new product = new gen.
Now theres mid gen refresh, add-on items bareing the console name (or consumers assumeing such, with say WiiU).
"new" = slightly bigger screen ect.

The messageing now, is very differnt from what it was back then.
Nintendo themselves havnt kept to a nameing scheme that ll make things easy for consumers to understand.

Basically its silly at this point, its just alot more impactfull and simple, to just stick with a console name and add a number to it.

Most consumers vs Useing a number = everyone.

I just think its easier to market, and will show better results, without confuseing any consumers, if they use a normal nameing scheme.
Same with Xbox, the logical next name is Xbox Two (following the "one").

But if a company wants to do away with logic, and pick a stupid name..... hell its their company, their free to do so.
Just dont think it makes sense to do so.

In the past a console generation was 4-6 years.  Nintendo was right on time with the Switch.  The screwed up timing comes from Sony and Microsoft.  They are acting like a console generation is 7 years now, but no one is really buying Microsoft hardware right now.  I'm still not sure if Sony can get away with a 7 year generation for PS4 yet.  Sales are falling fast this year, and interesting games are drying up.  PS4 software was much better last year, and Sony skipped E3 showing they don't have much else planned for the PS4.

So Sony and Microsoft have created this hole in the gaming marketplace, and Switch just happens to have released at the perfect time to take advantage of this hole.  Most likely 2019-2022 will be total Switch domination.  There is very little competition for Switch from the current consoles and by the time PS5 and Scarlett release it will take them time to ramp up.  Switch is going to have most of the generation with almost no competition.

JRPGfan said:
zorg1000 said:

Most consumers vs Useing a number = everyone.

I just think its easier to market, and will show better results, without confuseing any consumers, if they use a normal nameing scheme.
Same with Xbox, the logical next name is Xbox Two (following the "one").

But if a company wants to do away with logic, and pick a stupid name..... hell its their company, their free to do so.
Just dont think it makes sense to do so.

I think you're misunderstanding my original point, I never said that Super was as easy or straight forward as using a number, I said there isnt anything wrong or inherently confusing about Super/Advance.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Switch 2, meh. I hope the next switch is Super Switch.

Love this idea, but calling it Super Switch makes people know it's just a Super Version so I would instead use it for the Pro version and not for it's successor.

Nintendo started the 9th gen, what are you talking about?

And Nintendo launched the Switch when it did because their 8th gen console bombed harder than anything.They had to.

Probably they will start the 10th gen first and be in direct competition with the PS5/Scarlet, but thats just too soon to discuss.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:

And Nintendo launched the Switch when it did because their 8th gen console bombed harder than anything.They had to.

Probably they will start the 10th gen first and be in direct competition with the PS5/Scarlet, but thats just too soon to discuss.

Ya I assume we will see the same pattern going forward (as long as conventional consoles remain).

Nov 2013-PS4/XB0

Mar 2017-Switch

Nov 2020-PS5/XB4

2023/2024-Switch 2

2027-PS6/XB5

Etc.

zorg1000 said:
Nautilus said:

Ya I assume we will see the same pattern going forward (as long as conventional consoles remain).

Nov 2013-PS4/XB0

Mar 2017-Switch

Nov 2020-PS5/XB4

2023/2024-Switch 2

2027-PS6/XB5

Etc.

Yeah, thats what is probably going to happen.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Jumpin said:
I wonder how a professional Switch is going to allow users to make money? That they're calling it "professional" says a lot about the console.
Are they opening up a monetization avenue for gamers via streaming and competitive gaming?
Are they providing dev tools to users to make their own games?

No bites? I guess I was too obvious =P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.