By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry: Youngblood on PS4/Pro

Retains the advanced graphical features of Wolfenstein II, but the addition of a co-op partner makes it even more demanding.

- Dynamic Res: Full 1080p down to 1440x1080 (75% of Full 1080p) on base PS4, Full 1440p to 1726x1440 (68% of full 1440p) on Pro.

- Targets 60fps, but isn't locked; mostly above 50fps, hits 30fps at worst on base PS4 and 45fps at lowest on the Pro.  

- There's an "aggressive" setting that pins resolution at the low end; it still doesn't lock the framerate, but does improve it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 July 2019

Around the Network

PS4 is getting old, time for the PS5

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Certainly looks pretty, so I'm not surprised. I hope they're not assholes with the PS4 and allow 1080p mode on every game to achieve 60fps.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

curl-6 said:

Retains the advanced graphical features of Wolfenstein II, but the addition of a co-op partner makes it even more demanding.

- Dynamic Res: Full 1080p down to 1440x1080 (75% of Full 1080p) on base PS4, Full 1440p to 1726x1440 (68% of full 1440p) on Pro.

- Targets 60fps, but isn't locked; hits 30fps at worst on base PS4 and 45fps at lowest on the Pro.  

- There's an "aggressive" setting that pins resolution at the low end; it still doesn't lock the framerate, but does improve it somewhat.  *60fps is kept almost always on this mode, saying "it improves it somewhat isnt correct, its more than that"

Those lows (1440x1080 & 1726x1440, are the rare lowest resolutions it ever hit under testing)

The PS4 pro keeps in the 55-60 fps range like 90%+ of the time, that drop to 45 fps was again a rare thing.
Same thing with the normal PS4.

He uses the words "60fps is reasonably met", and under the test with the graphs where he shows it running at its worst, its not as bad as you make it out to be.

JRPGfan said:

He uses the words "60fps is reasonably met", and under the test with the graphs where he shows it running at its worst, its not as bad as you make it out to be.

Yeah, I scratched my head wondering why curl-6 chose to leave out Digital Foundry's final verdict.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

- Targets 60fps, but isn't locked; hits 30fps at worst on base PS4 and 45fps at lowest on the Pro.  

- There's an "aggressive" setting that pins resolution at the low end; it still doesn't lock the framerate, but does improve it somewhat.  *60fps is kept almost always on this mode, saying "it improves it somewhat isnt correct, its more than that"

Those lows (1440x1080 & 1726x1440, are the rare lowest resolutions it ever hit under testing)

The PS4 pro keeps in the 55-60 fps range like 90%+ of the time, that drop to 45 fps was again a rare thing.
Same thing with the normal PS4.

It was not my intent to make it out as "bad" at all, I think these are pretty good results given how hectic the game is and the amount of advanced effects popping off all at once. I just said it wasn't locked, which it isn't.
The full context of that "reasonably well met" quote though is that PS4's framerate target is while its target is "reasonably well met most of the time, the drops though when they do happen are much more glaring" [compared to Pro]. (8:14)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 July 2019

I like that they give people the option to have almost flawless 60fps with the aggressive mode

Theres now a video for Xbox One X + Switch as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=kSnz46HiLLc

Spoiler? performance on the Xbox One X, with Aggressive dynamic resolution (down to below 1440p) runs very simular to the PS4pro (50s-60).
While running native 4k, it does 30-40fps (with the worst dips down to the mid 20s).
DF = Native 4k "isnt great" for this one.

Switch: 648p-720p docked (slightly higher than last game) (they cut more of the graphics effects + elements to get that)
the switch version seems to run 25-30fps (its often not full 30, and has dips below the 20's), has frame paceing issues.