By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How likely is a PS4 Pro Slim?

When would a PS4 Pro Slim be released?

Late 2019 2 6.45%

Early 2020 1 3.23%

Late 2020 3 9.68%

Early 2021 1 3.23%

Late 2021 1 3.23%

Way too late, 2022+ 1 3.23%

Not at all 22 70.97%

Total:31
RaptorChrist said:

Is your name a homophone for falafel (not sure if homophone is the word I'm looking for)?

Also, I agree that Slim consoles are nice, but preferring them over the powerful variant is something I only agree with maybe when it comes to handhelds and maybe phones, where I've generally opted for the smaller-screened, slimmer version over the beefier model.

But damn, that Slim PS2 is one of the sleekest consoles ever made, and I recall it only being $99. I remember getting it along with Guitar Hero back in the day, as I was a late PS2 adopter.

Edit: I had gotten Guitar Hero along with FF12, and there were so many cheap PS2 games at that point that it wasn't long before I picked up several more.

Yep! My favourite character from the Mario & Luigi RPGs was Fawful, who is basically an evil bean. Just played with the name a bit and stuck with a mashup "awful falafel" and "fawful" - because you can never be too obvious. Shout out to my main guy Fawful. 

I see you're a man of culture as well with the PS2 Slim. 

Around the Network

I'm surprised by people's votes for not at all - surely Sony is interested in making money cheaply. These are the same people who released 4 PSP revisions and 3 PS3 ones. Not to mention that the Vita got a revision despite not being very successful in the first place.

Although I agree that they might choose to revise the base PS3 one more time over revising the Pro. If they revise both they will have 3 SKUs at the time of the PS5 release which can be confusing for consumers. In terms of costs and late-gen milking, though, I do not see how a PS4 Pro slim is not a move they would consider.

If they do a revision it will be of the base ps4. I mean sure they could have a $199 PS4, $279 PS4 Pro and $499 PS5 as their lineup but I don't see it happening.

The PS4 Pro is for people who are willing to pay a premium for a modest improvement in performance, when the PS5 is out those people looking for performance will turn to it. PS5 takes the PS4 Pro's market.

I don't think a Pro Slim makes since.

I think Sony should just do a PS4 Super Slim, and put it out at $199.99 this holiday. Should be able to bring it down to $179.99 or $149.99 from 2021 to EOL. Throw in a 4K Video Decoder, and it would be a perfect streaming box for late adopters.

PS5 should take the place of the Pro. PS5 will play all PS4 games, most likely with a few enhancements with potential well beyond the Pro. I like the look of:

PS4 Super Slim - $199.99
PS5 - $499.99

If they were to do any other models, I would rather see a PS5 Pro from day one. This time around, it would be a true Pro device though, something in the vein of Sony Elevated Standards Premium Home Entertainment Equipment.

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/

A PS5 ???1000ES Model for $999.99 - $1,499.99, built for the Hardcore Gamer and Home Theater Enthusiast would be right up my alley.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Fallawful said:
I'm surprised by people's votes for not at all - surely Sony is interested in making money cheaply. These are the same people who released 4 PSP revisions and 3 PS3 ones. Not to mention that the Vita got a revision despite not being very successful in the first place.

Although I agree that they might choose to revise the base PS3 one more time over revising the Pro. If they revise both they will have 3 SKUs at the time of the PS5 release which can be confusing for consumers. In terms of costs and late-gen milking, though, I do not see how a PS4 Pro slim is not a move they would consider.

Well, the thing is, a Pro slim doesn't make much sense if there's a superslim and a PS5, as the Pro would be squashed between the two and sales would thus be too low to make it worthwhile for Sony.

However, if Sony would make a slim Pro and discontinue the base model, removing it's competition at the bottom, then it would make a whole lot more sense. Even then, the slim Pro would still need to be below $300 to be worthwhile, otherwise, the price difference between itself and the PS5 would be too... slim.