By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Star Trek: Picard trailer debuts at SDCC

shikamaru317 said:

I have to say that it actually looks good. Maybe, just maybe CBS learned their lesson from the dumpster fire that was Star Trek Discovery? 

As a casual that only sometimes watches StarTrek, I have to agree, Discovery didnt capture me the same way some of the earlier shows did.

my favorite's would be:

Star Trek - Enterprise (with scott bakula)
Star Trek - The Next Generation (Patrick Stewart, Q?)

Star Trek - Vouager (overall was okay too, seven of nine + Borgs? how can you not like it)

*edit:
Couldnt watch the trailer here ,so just had to go try my luck on youtube.
Trailer is awesome, Picard + Data + Seven of Nine....... hype! screw Discovery like seriously.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 July 2019

Around the Network

The good:

7of9 and Data/B4 are two of my favourite Trek characters, so I'm really glad to see they'll be in it.

Also excited to see the Borg return.

It also looks OK visually.

The bad:

Unpopular opinion but Stewart is too old now, him being the main star just doesn't work for me; it reminds me of the final TOS and TNG Trek movies where the cast were too old to be believable in their roles.

The plot, like others have said, regarding a prophesised super woman is just... bleh. Hopefully it quickly moves beyond that.

The casting of his main crew looks poor from the trailer.

Will definitely watch - it's a new Trek series after all, can't get enough of those imo - and hopefully my concerns about the trailer prove unfounded.

As much of the old Trek fan I am, this looks pretty meh. I won't judge it by one trailer, but given the visuals and all the action, it doesn't feel like the old "to boldly go where no man has gone before" Trek and Patrick Stewart is unfortunately too old at this point.

On the plus side - 7 of 9

Q needs to be in it.

Riker and Troi is confirmed to be in it too.

deskpro2k3 said:
Q needs to be in it.

Riker and Troi is confirmed to be in it too.

I could see Q showing up right at the end of the first season to get people hyped for season 2. 

Around the Network

Too old? 350 years from now age 79 should still be considered prime life time. What is unbelievable is having hot headed reckless young idiots pilot a star ship. (TOS is fun though) The next generation ended in 2370, 25 years ago. Picard's last appearance was in Nemesis in 2379, 17 years ago. Star Trek Picard begins in 2399, so the real him still aged a bit slower than the elapsed time since his last appearance, as should happen in the future. It all fits.

SvennoJ said:
Too old? 350 years from now age 79 should still be considered prime life time. What is unbelievable is having hot headed reckless young idiots pilot a star ship. (TOS is fun though) The next generation ended in 2370, 25 years ago. Picard's last appearance was in Nemesis in 2379, 17 years ago. Star Trek Picard begins in 2399, so the real him still aged a bit slower than the elapsed time since his last appearance, as should happen in the future. It all fits.

Yeah, I have no problems with the age of Picard in this show. As I recall, McCoy showed up as an Admiral at like 120 years old in the first episode on TNG, lol. 

SvennoJ said:

Patrick Stewart is too old, not Picard. Or maybe not too old, but he seems...I don't know, tired, like no life is left in him.

shikamaru317 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yeah, I have no problems with the age of Picard in this show. As I recall, McCoy showed up as an Admiral at like 120 years old in the first episode on TNG, lol. 

There was also Relics with Scotty being stuck in the transporter buffer for 80 years.

McCoy was 137 in TNG Encounter at Farpoint.

HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:

Patrick Stewart is too old, not Picard. Or maybe not too old, but he seems...I don't know, tired, like no life is left in him.

Well he looked kinda tired in 2395 (Next Generation final episode, future Picard)

4 years later, should be fine.

He needs some adventure to get some life back into him. Not sit out the rest of his life in a winery :)