By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the Greatest Launch Title of all Time?

What was the greatest launch title of all time?

Combat 0 0%

Super Mario Bros. 20 12.20%

Super Mario World 19 11.59%

Virtua Fighter (Saturn) 2 1.22%

Twisted Metal 2 1.22%

Super Mario 64 32 19.51%

Halo Combat Evolved 16 9.76%

Twilight Princess 3 1.83%

Breath of the Wild 64 39.02%

Other 6 3.66%

Total:164
Wyrdness said:
HoloDust said:

Not sure where you're getting your info on SMS, I'd recommend this https://segaretro.org/History_of_the_Sega_Master_System

SMS launched in '86 in Germany, '87 in UK and was beating NES in key markets...so what i'm trying to say is that while NES and SMS did start to chip at gaming computer market, it is SMD and SNES that really got the kill. Both Amiga and Atari ST were vastly superior to NES and SMS, and released in about the same timeframe in Europe as those 8-bit consoles in addition to C64 and ZX still selling great...but eventually when it was time for something new to compete with SNES and SMD in early 90s, Amiga 1200 in '92 was just not good enough, and PCs already started to show what the future brings (that's why I've mentioned Comanche, that was mind blowing experience after coming from "16-bit" systems).

As for HL - yeah, that was really genre changing game - while I loved early FPS games on PC (especially DN3D, Quake II and Dark Forces), HL was somethng quite different that pretty much set a blueprint for following shooters (for better or worse). But overall, I'd say that it was combination of FPS, real-time strategies and cRPGs that made PCs as popular in those years.

I'm from UK so our release was 87 although noted SMS had a hand in the shift as well. Amiga and Atari ST would do well at the time as they were the known brands that's kind of my point as after that time frame is when they began fell off because of the impact of new consoles imo SNES and SMD inherited a position where the market had already shifted to put it in other words the damage was already done as the market was in full transition which is more due to their predecessors but I do see your pov as well.

The late 90s imo was something of a below the radar golden era for PC you are correct that the combination of those genres was what defined PC at the time key games like Warcraft, Starcraft, C&C, System Shock, Baldur's Gate and the rise of the modding scene are examples of key aspects of what gave the platform a new identity even in the early 00s the were titles like Deus Ex and NOLF with the former still being one of the greatest hybrid FPS/RPGs imo. The irony of things is that every time EA writes something off it comes back with a bang they wrote consoles off in the 80s and then they wrote PCs off in the mid 00s and then Steam came along to add convenience to the platform while the GPU market went into overdrive in 2009 causing them to scramble to get Origin out.

Well, it was only fair after all - many argue that aggressive pricing of C64 of only $300 in '83 was one of the major reasons for NA crash. Eventually, since neither Amiga 500 nor ST could compete in price with cheaper dedicated gaming consoles, it was more or less to be expected for balance to shift toward consoles again.

Around the Network

It depends. Are we talking about just titles available on the system at launch, or killer apps intended to sell the platform?

Best title available at launch was Breath of the Wild, hands down.

But if we're talking about killer apps that forced you to purchase the system, then both of the Zelda games on your poll would get knocked off. If we're talking about it from that angle, I'd say it's a three way tie:

Super Mario World for perfecting the sidescrolling formula, Halo for the introduction of recovering health in FPS games, and Mario 64 for show the world how a platformer should play when there's a Z-axis.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Nintendo is my preferred developer, but the ps2 was absolutely astounding. Sly Cooper, Ratchet, God of War, SotC, FFX, Devil May Cry and so many others.

The 6th gen in general was a dark age in my view, and that's got nothing to do with "Nintendo fans bashing anything that's not Nintendo" cos I'd argue Nintendo's own output that gen was their worst ever.

Sure, there was a lot of quantity in that gen, even some genuine greats like Halo 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, F-Zero GX, Twilight Princess, the original Star War Battlefront, etc, but of all the generations I've lived through (4th-present) feel it had the least amount of genuinely interesting games.

Azuren said:

But if we're talking about killer apps that forced you to purchase the system, then both of the Zelda games on your poll would get knocked off.

Seriously? How was BOTW not a killer app? It was literally the sole game selling the Switch at launch.

NightlyPoe said:
Replicant said:

You felt it was dark days because others liked a racing game that you didn't?

Lamenting the low bar of what was considered AAA Playstation-PS2 era titles more than anything.  It really hasn't aged well.

most games don’t age that well, the psx era is my favorite, but saying the the quality of the ps2 games was low is just wrong, I will give you some examples jack and daxter, is one of my favorite 3D platformers, the ps2 also had ratchet and clank, and sly, metal gear 3 is considered the best in the series, ffx ,ffxii, persona 3 and 4 are some of the most beloved jrpgs of all time, devil may cry 3 was the high point until 5, San Andreas was the birth of the modern triple a game, resident evil 4 is still considered was one of the best games ever, and silent hill 2 is considered the best horror game ever, not to mention that 3 is amazing too,I could go on.

so your statement that the expectation for games was low is just wrong, not to mention that other consoles also put up a great competition, if you don’t like the ps2 that’s fine but just don’t go saying that it was a dark age and the expectation from gamers were low.

Last edited by gamingsoul - on 04 July 2019

Around the Network

Fighter Within.

B O I

curl-6 said:

The 6th gen in general was a dark age in my view, and that's got nothing to do with "Nintendo fans bashing anything that's not Nintendo" cos I'd argue Nintendo's own output that gen was their worst ever.

Sure, there was a lot of quantity in that gen, even some genuine greats like Halo 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, F-Zero GX, Twilight Princess, the original Star War Battlefront, etc, but of all the generations I've lived through (4th-present) feel it had the least amount of genuinely interesting games.

Everyone has their favorite generations that’s Fine, I do agree that the gamecube was a low point for Nintendo but in my opinion the others consoles were great, Xbox had really good exclusives like halo, knights of the old republic, jet set radio, panzer dragoon, ninja gaiden, the Dreamcast had some of my favorite games of all time like crazy taxi , skies of Arcadia, grandia 2 , code Veronica, shenmue, phantasy star online, marvel vs Capcom, street fighter 3, not to mention al, the great games the ps2 had, so not your favorite generation ok that’s fine, but weak generation for gamers no way!!!

gamingsoul said:
curl-6 said:

Everyone has their favorite generations that’s Fine, I do agree that the gamecube was a low point for Nintendo but in my opinion the others consoles were great, Xbox had really good exclusives like halo, knights of the old republic, jet set radio, panzer dragoon, ninja gaiden, the Dreamcast had some of my favorite games of all time like crazy taxi , skies of Arcadia, grandia 2 , code Veronica, shenmue, phantasy star online, marvel vs Capcom, street fighter 3, not to mention al, the great games the ps2 had, so not your favorite generation ok that’s fine, but weak generation for gamers no way!!!

Well, I wasn't really talking about "for gamers", just "for me". Like I say, there were some games from that era that i really loved. Heck, Resident Evil 4 is my favourite game of all time. It's just I'm pretty sure if I were to make a list of games I loved from each gen (from the 4th onwards) the 6th would have the shortest list. But that's just me, I have weird tastes haha.

curl-6 said:
gamingsoul said:

Well, I wasn't really talking about "for gamers", just "for me". Like I say, there were some games from that era that i really loved. Heck, Resident Evil 4 is my favourite game of all time. It's just I'm pretty sure if I were to make a list of games I loved from each gen (from the 4th onwards) the 6th would have the shortest list. But that's just me, I have weird tastes haha.

that’s totally fine, like I said the psx era was my favorite due to the rpgs, this one is my second favorite but the 6th generation gave me amazing gaming moments, ...I miss silent hill ...😭😭😭

curl-6 said: 
Azuren said:

But if we're talking about killer apps that forced you to purchase the system, then both of the Zelda games on your poll would get knocked off.

Seriously? How was BOTW not a killer app? It was literally the sole game selling the Switch at launch.

Breath of the Wild’s attach rate was over 100% at one point, I don’t remember that happening with any other game ever. Twilight Princess debatably piggybacked off Wii Sports and Wii’s popularity, but it wasn’t like 1-2 Switch was the game that sold Switches. I agree.