By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGC staff, Please help me understand 360 shipped/sold figure...

...in Japan. The sites shipped figures to Japan shows roughly 390million units and your sold to consumer figures show 390million units sold. So does that mean the 360 sold, from the retailers, every single unit MS shipped by the end of your last records?

Around the Network

TalonMan,

Please stop spreading this urban myth. Nintendo reports "sold to retail", just like Microsoft. Sony reports "sold to retail" or "left the factory". None of them reports "sold to consumers" like NPD, Media Create or vgchartz do.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

The discrepancy is that MS ha shipped 390,000 units as of March 31st, 2007. It is now mid May and they have just sold that total of units, and by now, the actual # of h/w units shipped to Japan is 410,000 or more. Thats where the discrepancy is. The numbers were 31st of March for all of the consoles via each companies press release(s).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

reverie said:
TalonMan,
 Please stop spreading this urban myth. Nintendo reports "sold to retail", just like Microsoft. Sony reports "sold to retail" or "left the factory". None of them reports "sold to consumers" like NPD, Media Create or vgchartz do.

No, Nintendo, historically, has always reports sold to consumers in their financial reports. Always.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network
Quantum-Tarantino said:
reverie said:
TalonMan,

No, Nintendo, historically, has always reports sold to consumers in their financial reports. Always.

any source for this?

and by source I mean one that says "consumers" or "end users" and not "customers".

I'll believe Nintendo reports sold as sold to consumers when I see a reputable source inside Nintendo saying so.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Nintendo's financial reports have always used sold to customers, and not sold to retail. It doesnt get more reputable than that.

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Sold to customers is the same as sold to retail for their financial reports, the retailers are the ones directly buying from them.

No, DKII, you are not hearing me. Nintendo has ALWAYS differentiated the two, revealing their shipment numbers, AND their Sell-throughs.

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

I believe Nintendo's 'customers' are Walmart, EB, Bestbuy, Target, etc.. so it all works out.