Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Poll: Is xbox game pass a system seller for you?

Is xbox game pass a system seller?

Yes 19 31.67%

No 41 68.33%

Total:60

Well, first of all, the Gamepass initiative isn't event exclusive to Xbox anymore since they announced it for PC recently. Sure, it certainly could be an incitive to get the console but after looking at how "good" the catalog of exclusives the Xbone had throughout this generation, then I'd say they'll have to up their game by a considerable notch.

PS. : Using their usual trio (Halo,Forza and Gears) won't be enough this time too.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

I didn't know what Gamepass costs or which games were on there. I looked it up now.
But this isn't really an interesting concept for me, because I usually like to own my games.

Would it be worth 10 dollars for a one time thing to play a number of games I wouldn't normally buy/don't want to own on a system I already own?
Possibly. I wouldn't buy a new system for it though.

RolStoppable said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/colin-moriartys-top-25-games-of-all-time?page=4

Disgusting nintendo hater this colin moriarty dude.

Why do you make a sarcastic conclusion when you provide evidence for his false claims of fandom? The thing that has been criticized about Moriarty is that he claims to still be a Nintendo fan, not that he wasn't a Nintendo fan at any point of his life. His top 25 has 0 games on Nintendo consoles after the SNES era, so it's obvious that is not a Nintendo fan anymore and hasn't been in a very long time. That's why people don't buy it when he claims that he is a Nintendo fan.

Majora's Mask was on #7 actually, but otherwise yeah.
Though it looks like most of the games on his list are classic/older games. And nostalgia can be hard to beat.

My #1 game is Suikoden 2 from 1998. And off the top of my head, I can only think of one game from this generation or the previous one that I'd place in my Top 25. That's not to say I wasn't a fan of those games, but when you've played a lot of games in your life, the competition for favorite games can be fierce, and it can become increasingly difficult to have games subvert your expectations.

Here's a question though. Can you be a fan of games you don't play?

Right now I'm watching the Top 8 for Tekken 7 at CEO being streamed. I don't play the game myself, but I love it.

d21lewis said:
Not for me. I have multiple Xbox One consoles and I don't even have Game Pass. I may jump on it soon, though. I want Gears V and Ori 2. They were already day one buys but I can play them with Game Pass and save a lot of money. What's not to love?

Dude seriously change your gold to ultimate game pass with the deal, Even if it is only 20 bucks of gold you change you get 4 months of ultimate  game pass.

Mar1217 said:
Well, first of all, the Gamepass initiative isn't event exclusive to Xbox anymore since they announced it for PC recently. Sure, it certainly could be an incitive to get the console but after looking at how "good" the catalog of exclusives the Xbone had throughout this generation, then I'd say they'll have to up their game by a considerable notch.

PS. : Using their usual trio (Halo,Forza and Gears) won't be enough this time too.

It is a console exclusive and most people, especially casual gamers don't have a good gaming rig and don't want to spend the money.

Nope. Exclusive single player games are a system seller for me. That's why i usually prefer Playstation or Nintendo.

Around the Network

The main problem with Gamepass is the games. If the Switch had a service like this, then I'd probably do it.

Thread warning 

There's been to much back seat moderating in this thread and off topic posts. The topic of this thread seems quite obvious and there's no sly digs in the op. Let's keep this on the topic of Gamepass.

Last edited by cycycychris - on 30 June 2019

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

I believe that gamepass will be a console seller and MS is positioning it as a auto sub for anyone looking to purchase a MS Console. By MS having all of their exclusives day one playable from gamepass, MS is positioning gamepass to be a purchase right along with the console since you instantly get 100+ games you can download and play day one. You really cannot dismiss the advantage of playing all MS exclusives not including any of the extra content they get on gamepass as the library increases. Including PC into the space add even more advantage as this can be an easy entry for some to purchase the console and get ultimate. Its a very smart business model and something the competition doesn't have and cannot replicate. If MS continue to add more high profile content to the service and market it correctly, it can be something that truly separate MS console from the competition.

I know for me, this E3 with a lot of games I am interested in coming to gamepass, this is the first time I looked serious at the service and purchase a sub.

Mar1217 said:

The reason MS included the PC is because this service needs more subs.  Also the games included for the PC and the MS console are not all the same.  The thing is, by having an ultimate sub, it can make people who have a PC also consider getting the MS console because they are already subbing for the PC.

You are missing the point, getting Halo, Forza and Gears for a sub price is pretty strong especially if you love all 3 games then gamepass is pretty much free and you get 97 other games that you also may like.

Not only that but gamepass pretty much pays for games like Flight Simulator and other obscure games that on their own probably would not get funding but now because of gamepass you will see way more of those types of games.  A lot more singleplayer focus games will also be coming to the service from MS as well as some IPs from their collection due to gamepass.

Definitely no. I’ve only subscribed maybe once or twice for one month despite having Xbox as my main platform this gen. I can easily live without this subscription because it doesn’t really have that much value IMO. Because, first of all I prefer to own my games, and second - there isn’t actually any interesting games in the service to keep me subscribed. And even when something interesting is being added to the catalog, it turns out that I already own it. On the other hand, right now I’ve subscribed to GPU just because it was possible to convert gold into it. Hard to say if I’ll use the subscription most of this time, but we’ll see. Maybe I’ll try Wolf2 and Metro:Exodus.

So, to sum up, I think that GamePass is actually an interesting feature but it has almost zero marketing value as it serves more as a bonus for those who are in Xbox ecosystem. I doubt it will ever become a system seller for Xbox consoles because if it had such potential, I think we would have already seen the results. And looking at how Xbox One sells poorly right now, the answer is obvious that GamePass is not a system seller.