By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Switch Tegra X1 "Mariko" Chip Details

How will the new Switch Chip be leveraged?

Better Battery Life 11 28.21%

Better Battery Life & Fanless 15 38.46%

More POWER! 3 7.69%

All 3! 7 17.95%

There won't be a revision with a new chip. 2 5.13%

Don't care. 1 2.56%

Total:39
shikamaru317 said:
This chip will likely be used in a revision of the current Switch model and/or the Switch Mini, but I have a feeling that Switch Pro, if it indeed exists, won't be using it. Simply overclocking the Tegra X1 is not going to give a meaningful enough performance increase to amount to anything.

Nintendo arnt going to do that big a upgrade, like PS4 & XB1 had, with the PS4pro + Xbox One X.
This would be more like the "new 3ds" style upgrade.

Even if its only +20-30% more cpu/gpu grunt in certain situations, that could still be enough to help in some titles with dynamic scaleing and such.

But I too think, the better usage is for makeing the switch cheaper+smaller+better battery life (basically more handheld friendly).

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Would you rather:

A) +20-30% performance improvement from clockspeed increases, but still has same battery life + active fan.

or

B) Same performance as current switch, but now doesnt need to have a active fan cooler, and has better battery life.

Situation B) makes more sense if their aiming to do a Switch Mini, imo.

Also the TL:DR version should be:
Same chip (X1) shrunk from 20nm->16nm finFet, now could clock higher or use less power.

B for me! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

shikamaru317 said:
This chip will likely be used in a revision of the current Switch model and/or the Switch Mini, but I have a feeling that Switch Pro, if it indeed exists, won't be using it. Simply overclocking the Tegra X1 is not going to give a meaningful enough performance increase to amount to anything.

There has never been anything credible that suggested that a Switch Pro is in the works.

mutantsushi said:
RolStoppable said:
The most credible rumor talked about two upcoming Switch revisions.

I am curious why you seem to be ignoring a major element of the thread's cited article, namely the evidence suggesting two distinct APU ID's were merged into one. Perhaps once representing slightly different production cost / performance spec products, but ultimately merged into one developer target. Without the information linking them and their merging, it's reasonable that other bits of info were once interpreted as two distinct SKUs, but I don't understand why taking into account the evidence mentioned, one would still assume 2 SKUs. If you have a special angle on this that I'm missing, it seems like you would want to elaborate on that, to explain why the article is mistaken or likely mistaken etc?

The reason why I am still going with two SKUs is that it will be more efficient in manufacturing costs to use the new chip in all Switch consoles, rather than paying for smaller quantities of the new and the old chip. A Switch Mini is not going to replace the current Switch SKU, just like XL versions of the DS and 3DS didn't replace their respective standard sized models, so the future is that there will be two Switch SKUs on the market in any case. The only difference with Switch is that it first launched in XL size, so the order of launching different sizes is reversed. From a manufacturing point of view, it makes more sense to replace the current Switch with a very similar SKU that also uses the new chip. Such a replacement also presents an opportunity to make small improvements; one that is commonly mentioned is smaller bezels to make the screen a bit bigger without changing the overall size of the console.

More importantly, I don't think the article is mistaken. Its only shortcoming is that it doesn't explore the possibility of two new SKUs and doesn't take into account the rumor that was posted by the Wall Street Journal. This article is a very tech-focused piece, so my response wasn't "this is wrong", but how will Nintendo use this advancement in technology and sell it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Seems like a more useful update for Switch than more power.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

This is a good update pre-Pokémon and AC.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Perfect for 'mini' and 'pro'.
Mini seems clear now what it may be. No need to more performance, ditch fan and limit the clock for improve battery life.
I just hope it is still dockable (even in a new dock model) and connects to other controllers too. Even with optional acessory sold separately. A mini dock with trails for charging joycon+joycon pair+grip bundle would allow the full switch experience (except for labo).

Having this chip ready for mini, why not just upgrade the regular switch chip? This might be the 'pro' version. In dock, it will have higher performance for dynamic resolution games and for games whose developers to care to update for this feature. While in portable, significantly more battery time.

DonFerrari said:

Agreed; the market has shown that it is fine with the level of power the Switch offers.

A small minority of forum-going hardcore gamers may bemoan its graphics as unacceptable, but these people don't represent the average consumer. Furthermore, the argument that Switch "needs" a more powerful model to keep it from falling too far behind Sony and MS is flawed; 3DS didn't stop selling when PS4/Xbone came out, nor did the DS stop selling when PS3/360 came out.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

the argument that Switch "needs" a more powerful model to keep it from falling too far behind Sony and MS is flawed; 3DS didn't stop selling when PS4/Xbone came out, nor did the DS stop selling when PS3/360 came out.

That's a good way to put it. I'll keep this in mind the next time I find myself thinking that same argument.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Agreed; the market has shown that it is fine with the level of power the Switch offers.

A small minority of forum-going hardcore gamers may bemoan its graphics as unacceptable, but these people don't represent the average consumer. Furthermore, the argument that Switch "needs" a more powerful model to keep it from falling too far behind Sony and MS is flawed; 3DS didn't stop selling when PS4/Xbone came out, nor did the DS stop selling when PS3/360 came out.

I would like more power and better graphics even on Switch. But considering the sales and what the HW delivers the market is plenty satisfied.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

I would like more power and better graphics even on Switch. But considering the sales and what the HW delivers the market is plenty satisfied.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone would object to prettier graphics, (as long as it didn't come at a too great a cost to battery life, price, etc) I just meant that, as you say, consumers in general seem happy with its current power level.

Overall, I think we tend to underestimate the importance of lavish graphics to the general audience; look at the success of simplistic looking games like Minecraft, or the fact that almost every generation-winning system has not been the most powerful system of that generation.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.